Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
"There’s too much good for all to share now — not equally, but certainly without historic programs being left out — to race into the great unknown of 2 super conferences and everyone else.

There’s too much that’s right about college football for Sankey and Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren (and their respective university presidents) to stare at each other like Reagan and Gorbachev while everyone else shivers on the sidelines."

LOL. Only good for them. They are already ruining college athletics.

Agree.

We will be happy to get in a P3 conference. For now. The whole thing is a mistake and all about power and money. Those on the outside, and even those in an eventual solid P3, will never forget.
So, if Sankey says, "We are sticking with 16 only and the sport is better for no more than 16 in a conference.", anybody going to believe it? I'm not. He'll be trying to poach the best ACC schools or Notre Dame at first opportunity.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Lots of interesting info in that long post of screenshots, but you know what jumped out to me?

”Lynchpin.” Not how you spell it. It’s “linchpin.” You can’t even blame autocorrect, since you’re spelling a word that doesn’t exist, and if your own device accepts/changes it to “lynchpin” it’s because you intentionally spelled it that way a bunch.

It’s just that “lynch” has such a strong negative connotation that it jumps right off the screen. That’s all. My past years of copyediting/proofreading still staying with me …
If a word doesn't exist, how can it be misspelled?

Aug 20, 2012
My past years of copyediting/proofreading still staying with me …
Whoa. Were you, like, an actual paid copy editor…where that was actually a significant portion of your day-to-day job duties?

If so, that’s amazing. My mom was a switchboard operator while in school, so I’m always intrigued to meet people with wild, antiquated past job experience.

Reactions: GoldCy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Can we get a two sentence summary? That thing is way TFL;DR

I didn't read the whole thing either, but effectively ND is in no rush to go anywhere, and they may not even be able to if they want to because they might be bound by the ACC GOR - at least in terms of all sports besides football.

• Informative
Reactions: 06_CY

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
How does an athletic department in Los Angeles get $103 million in debt?

Can't be spending big money on a brand nobody cares about outside of Basketball. Hell even their apparel deal was cancelled because UCLA "Didn't bring enough value."

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I didn't read the whole thing either, but effectively ND is in no rush to go anywhere, and they may not even be able to if they want to because they might be bound by the ACC GOR - at least in terms of all sports besides football.
I doubt giving up the media revenue generated by ND's basketball and olympic sports programs would be much of a hindrance. But I agree that they're not going to rush into anything, and in the end expect they'll stay independent in football.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Lets try this again on the right thread. A lot of great info, sorry for all the pics but thought this was the best way to share it. Dont think anyone is going to sign up for that ACC GOR.

View attachment 100612 View attachment 100613 View attachment 100614 View attachment 100615 View attachment 100616 View attachment 100617

Lots of good info in that and pretty spot on. I really don't think there will be anything that happens quickly at this point. Everyone in the PAC will need some time to evaluate their options.

As for the ACC, I don't see ESPN working with anyone to try to get around the GOR or helping to dissolve the conference. I'm sure ESPN would be fine with having a few more marquee brands in their flagship conference, but at what cost?

With no ACC, they'd lose a good amount of inventory. It would nuke their chances of having the #3 conference, gift wrapping that for the Big XII and Fox. And it might be what forces ND into a conference, which would undoubtedly be the Big 10, which would be another huge win for Fox.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I doubt giving up the media revenue generated by ND's basketball and olympic sports programs would be much of a hindrance. But I agree that they're not going to rush into anything, and in the end expect they'll stay independent in football.

I agree - that's why I put might in italics.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
  1. ND's in no hurry to join a conference so long as they're not leaving so much money on the table they can't compete on the field, they still have access to the playoffs, and they have a home for their non-football sports.
  2. The ACC GOR seems to have no way around it. Buying it out isn't economically feasible for the foreseeable future. Dissolving the conference seems unlikely as 8 teams would need a better landing spot. Another decade plus of making significantly less than the SEC and Big 10 could result in the ACC not having any programs that would interest either the Big 10 or SEC by the time they do become available.
  3. The Big 10 isn't making another move until ND makes a decision. ND's not making a decision while the ACC is viable. See point #1. Repeat.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
1. ND has options, and doesnt need to do anything right away.
2. Adding schools to the ACC does not break the GoR it is separate, So any school that wants to join the ACC would have to sign on to their current GoR through 2036, it could increase the per team money that way because they could renegotiate the amount, but more likely it would just add the amount of value for the team average meaning no real per team increase.
3. The ACC GoR is a huge barrier to leave. Exit fees are 3X yearly conference pay. So 100-120M, Plus GoR, meaning if a team were to buy it out it for say 2024-36 it would be an additional $300M on top of above exit fees. But there is no reason for the ACC to let anyone buy it out, similar to the Big 12, meaning they could do whatever they want with those teams games, and keep any and all money from them for that entire time. Doubtful any conference is willing to risk taking someone and not get any money for them pending a lawsuit, and doubtful a school is willing to risk having to pay minimum half a billion dollars to leave. Unlikely any movement to or from the ACC outside of an "alliance" Unless more than half the conference votes to leave. which means a lot of things have to get in line between 8+ teams and 2+ conferences minimum to actually make that work, and the way these are all done under the table that is not happening.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron