MLB: ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Season Thread***

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
From my recliner, the lead off spot has been an issue for several years. At times in the past after Pujols left, the 4 hole was also a weak spot. Now the GM has possibly the best scenario with Goldsmith & Arenado raking. O’Neill has struggled and the other young talent shows promise. Looks like Nootbaar & Donovan will be given a shot now that Carlson & Gorman have had their look. Glad that Marmol doesn’t wait around like Matheny who waited too long to switch things up.
I’m not sure that there is a true lead off hitter on the roster. If Masyn Winn’sbat keeps developing, he could certainly be that guy…eventually.

And Jordan Walker could turn out to be that mashing corner outfielder. Like, sometime next year. Assuming, of course, that Arenado doesn’t decide he’d like to go home to the Dodgers this winter.

(Before anyone says it, IMO Gorman stays at 2nd regardless)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

He has really been swinging well the past 3 weeks or so, he smoked a couple of balls during the series that was right at someone. Maybe we can get to at least 695 before he hangs it up, he would need 6 more to get that, needs 7 more to tie Arod. He would have to go on a serious hot streak to get to 700, but he has had such streaks in the past, and I am sure he is motivated to get there.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
He has really been swinging well the past 3 weeks or so, he smoked a couple of balls during the series that was right at someone. Maybe we can get to at least 695 before he hangs it up, he would need 6 more to get that, needs 7 more to tie Arod. He would have to go on a serious hot streak to get to 700, but he has had such streaks in the past, and I am sure he is motivated to get there.
I was completely wrong on his signing - he's blown all expectations away this year. In the next 3 series - 3 against COL and ARI and 5 against CHC - there will be at least 3 lefties (Freeland, Smyly, Steele - no idea who is in the ARI rotation) and I imagine he's forced Oli's hand to play him against RHP. With no one else stepping up vs RHP, the DH spot has to be Albert's for the forseeable future. He'll have the ABs, hopefully he stays hot.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What’s he need, 11 more? I think that might be a stretch unfortunately. With the way he’s been at the plate maybe one more year at DH really isn’t that bad of an idea.

I dont see him comimg back to chase it. I think he gets it and walks away.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Hope he gets to 700. What was his production in Anaheim & LA? The DH rule in the NL was timely for his fair well tour. Stating the obvious but his signing has been a win/win for Albert, the Cards, the Cardinal fans and MLB.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
This feels like a team that could get hot and be dangerous. The veterans have done their part and give us a good chance at the division. If one of the young guys get hot at the right time (a la Freese, Wacha) we could make a run.
I was skeptical of the Pujols signing, I thought it could be a distraction for a young team and manager, but it was clearly more than just a gimmick. He's still got a little left and the role he's in now is perfect. Dickerson has had enough good days to keep getting ABs vs righties, but it would be nice to see Albert get more chances at 700 too.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hope he gets to 700. What was his production in Anaheim & LA? The DH rule in the NL was timely for his fair well tour. Stating the obvious but his signing has been a win/win for Albert, the Cards, the Cardinal fans and MLB.
Dh in the Nl would be the only reason he came home.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Without a doubt he will get a statue and his name will be on the outfield wall, no player will ever wear #5 again after he retires.
Only difference is his statue will be like all the rest of the smaller ones outside of the stadium, if he had played his entire career in St. Louis his statue would be equal to the Musial one.

• Agree
Reactions: TheHelgo

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
There's 690. Two lefties to start the series with Arizona and the Cubs will throw at least 2 in the 5 game set as well. I at least want to see him catch A-Rod and think there's a legit chance he does.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
‘21 second rounder Josh Baez, the next in the Gorman/Walker mold, is finally getting untracked after reporting in other than peak condition, and then suffering a sprained wrist.