Iowa State’s Most Bone-Headed Athletic Change?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If bowls were as common in the 80s as they were by 2000 ISU likely goes to at least a couple from '80-89.
True, there were some chances in that decade.

Heck, if Duncan could've avoided losing to the sludge of the conference in '80 (Colorado) and '81 (KSU) ISU might've gotten to at least one bid, possibly two, even with fewer postseason options available.

I doubt Donnie was sustainable, but a few wins and the decade doesn't seem as bleak.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Bone head decision.

Frankly, f&$@in’ stupid decision.

Only stadium in D1 football named after an African American and a person has to enter the stadium to see a representation of that person.

(Facepalm)
I'm quoting an article. No need to take it out on me *******.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
True, there were some chances in that decade.

Heck, if Duncan could've avoided losing to the sludge of the conference in '80 (Colorado) and '81 (KSU) ISU might've gotten to at least one bid, possibly two, even with fewer postseason options available.

I doubt Donnie was sustainable, but a few wins and the decade doesn't seem as bleak.

It's funny how perception changes.

.500 gets a bowl game now and a winning record didn't guarantee one then with ISU going 6-5 three times. The 2000s seem like a decent time in ISU history because they got to bowls with generally marginal teams and similar records/outcomes.

In '85, they were 5-6 with close losses to Missouri and Drake (!?) but ended the season beating #7 Oklahoma State.

That season on the whole is still nothing compared to most of the 90s for futility.

I think many see that Drake loss as the bottoming out of the program but they were still *this* close to a bowl, meanwhile they almost lost to Drake in 2018 during this 'golden era' that would have left them 7-5.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

.500 gets a bowl game now and a winning record didn't guarantee one then with ISU going 6-5 three times. The 2000s seem like a decent time in ISU history because they got to bowls with generally marginal teams and similar records/outcomes.

In '85, they were 5-6 with close losses to Missouri and Drake (!?) but ended the season beating #7 Oklahoma State.

That season on the whole is still nothing compared to most of the 90s for futility.

I think many see that Drake loss as the bottoming out of the program but they were still *this* close to a bowl, meanwhile they almost lost to Drake in 2018 during this 'golden era' that would have left them 7-5.
I hope people don't get the impression we're shining-up the '80s or anything. But it's more of a flattening period, not a nadir. It did kill the momentum built in the '70s.

And of course we don't mean to devalue the .500-ish teams that got to bowls, since it isn't anyone's fault they were available.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Mentioning that '18 game this close to football season should at minimum get you a week-long ban.

• Funny
Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Mentioning that '18 game this close to football season should at minimum get you a week-long ban.

Difference being that ISU won the game...you have to wonder if they do in previous eras.

Funny story and then I'll stop--I was in a class that day and checked in on my laptop from time to time. Everyone around me (none even knew the game was happening) is having a great time and doing whatever they're doing, while I'm sitting there silently trying to hold it together and can't talk from nervousness.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Difference being that ISU won the game...you have to wonder if they do in previous eras.

Funny story and then I'll stop--I was in a class that day and checked in on my laptop from time to time. Everyone around me (none even knew the game was happening) is having a great time and doing whatever they're doing, while I'm sitting there silently trying to hold it together and can't talk from nervousness.
While that game sucked on a number of levels, the one thing I'll always remember and like about it was right afterwards you could see Campbell a little pumped up congratulating Drake players. You could see the respect from him on how hard they competed, and him being a D3 guy he understands the grind at those lower levels and how much you have to love football to play at that level when you don't have all the fancy locker rooms and ammenities.

Reactions: madguy30

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Spending 10 million of private donations and a ******* bridge that lights up when that money could been funneled in to the Collective.

(ducks...)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wearing black in football
No a fan of black. But it has grown a bit on me.

But I look at it more from a perspective of not embracing cardinal & gold. Seems like we have made black & white our primary colors, instead of special occasion color.

I would say biggest miss is AD not being able to develop a cool Cyclone logo that stands test of time. There are a lot of ISU's, schools that wear red/yellow (yes I realize their cardinal/gold) combination, but only one D1 program with Cyclones nickname.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How about letting Iowa steal the color black from us. If you read about the adaptation of school colors, ISU officially had black before Iowa did, we changed from black/silver/gold (IIRC) to cardinal and gold. I do think cardinal and gold look better when you buy clothing.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I thought there were two, doesn't change that the money was specifically for the bridge, just thinking there were two donors that ponied up for it.
Could be wrong but I think there was a donation from one person for the bridge and another person donated for the RV lot and parking lot expansion by Stephens. Regardless, the bridge was not built using the annual donations to the Cyclone Club from the simpletons like most of us, as most of the Facebook comment section whiners like to believe.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You can drink b4 and after games, and that's not enough?
You can drink during games also. A lot of fireball bottles passed back and forth and mini bottles dumped into pop bottles. I don't care what people do as long as they don't spill it on me or make a mess under my seated area.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

1961Cylones

Aug 18, 2021
Van DeVelde.
Yeah, this bozo set us back at least a decade.

On the plus side, we got one of the best ADs in the country to come in and right the ship, and then some. You know, one door shuts...

Losing baseball stills sucks the most.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
What do you think are the worst changes within or around the various programs? Parking, game-day traditions, cutting programs, etc?

Personally;

1 - Not using running Cy enough.
2 - Getting rid of the blimp in Hilton.
3 - Getting rid of the Helmet mobile at FB games.
4 - Plan to get rid of half the big parking between Hilton and JTS (BB parking is going to suck ass).
Firing Wayne Morgan (.com). :jimlad:

Help Support Us

Become a patron