CyTown Announcement - Monday 9/19 (Links in OP)

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
So maybe they hire a promoter/event manager. Seems like a simple thing to get someone that entices conventions, concerts, free live music, flee market/farmers market events, family nights, venor weekends etc.

Not to mention the things like Special olympics and other events that happen in the off season right in that very spot.

That's not how it works.

The music industry is extremely political. Livenation/TM control something like 80% of tours and prefer to route them to venues they control. They also have longstanding relationships with current venues and promoters. You can't just renovate/open a venue, hire a promoter, and get who you want. Sure, you can hire low level (local) bands for free shows in the courtyard, but that's not going to bring in the consistent, high level traffic that will make this sustainable.

I looked at the presser/rendering, skimmed through the press conference (not watching the entire thing), and come away thinking it's too aggressive. Hotels close to the stadium (which are also closer to campus)? that will be a success. Some bars/restaurants? That will probably work. But the size and scale of this projects seems unecessari
You wouldn't watch an away game at that ampitheater area when there's a bar and restaurant next to it and hundreds or thousands of other Cyclone fans? What is "swanky" about that? Beer is swanky?

I'd have been there all the time when I was a student.

This will give Ames what a ton of college towns already have. Welch has just never cut it.

I've lived in 2nd and 3rd largest US city past 22 years and this all looks a lot more like a better version of Iowa State than it does those places.

I think it only seems over the top because Ames is so underserved for something like this.

Unless it was a huge away game with something special going on? No.

Standing on concrete with overpriced food, beer, and no place to sit isn't my idea of a good time. Would much rather be at a house where it's easier to control more variables and be more comfortable doing it. With that said, there would be people who would when the weather is conducive. Exactly how much remains to be seen.

I agree with Welch. Really, Welch was always a piss poor location (corner of campus) for a Campus Town. It either should have been farther over (Ash) or Ames should have made Lincoln Way into something like Mass St. is in Lawrence.

Underserved? Maybe. This is a very ambitious and risky project for a place the size of Ames. I will say if the office space does well it greatly increases the chances of this being successful.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Nice work. It doesn’t take much imagination to come up with events to fill this. Bandshell has free concerts every Friday in the summer. No reason you couldn’t do that. Ankenys area has everything from art shows to wine tastings to chili cook offs. This area has an inherent advantage in that people love ISU and want a reason to go to Ames. A chili cook off or a bbq fest would freaking kill there. And then you have toppling Goliath right down the block?

I’m sorry, but someone with a little imagination would have something lined up for every single summer weekend.

Cornhole/bags leagues, beer pong tournaments, trivia nights, karaoke nights... etc etc etc

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
That's not how it works.

The music industry is extremely political. Livenation/TM control something like 80% of tours and prefer to route them to venues they control. They also have longstanding relationships with current venues and promoters. You can't just renovate/open a venue, hire a promoter, and get who you want. Sure, you can hire low level (local) bands for free shows in the courtyard, but that's not going to bring in the consistent, high level traffic that will make this sustainable.

I looked at the presser/rendering, skimmed through the press conference (not watching the entire thing), and come away thinking it's too aggressive. Hotels close to the stadium (which are also closer to campus)? that will be a success. Some bars/restaurants? That will probably work. But the size and scale of this projects seems unecessari

Standing on concrete with overpriced food, beer, and no place to sit isn't my idea of a good time. Would much rather be at a house where it's easier to control more variables and be more comfortable doing it. With that said, there would be people who would when the weather is conducive. Exactly how much remains to be seen.

I agree with Welch. Really, Welch was always a piss poor location (corner of campus) for a Campus Town. It either should have been farther over (Ash) or Ames should have made Lincoln Way into something like Mass St. is in Lawrence.

Underserved? Maybe. This is a very ambitious and risky project for a place the size of Ames. I will say if the office space does well it greatly increases the chances of this being successful.

old.jpg

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
That's not how it works.

Reactions: 2speedy1 and MnBrPg

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Cornhole/bags leagues, beer pong tournaments, trivia nights, karaoke nights... etc etc etc

Yeah, it's limitless what you can do there over the summer. Farmers market, craft shows, art shows, Odyssey of the Mind, 4-H conference, cheerleader conference, special olympics, 4th of July fireworks, pep rallies. The key is what you do there over the winter and spring, when weather doesn't let you plan events outside. That's where you need concerts and conferences.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That's not how it works.

This is post is just stupid. People like you will piss and moan regardless of anything and refuse to see the positive. There is a reason you are in the minority if you're not just a troll.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
If you watched the press conference it will be a net gain of 200 spaces.

Listen to the question and answers in the conference! Jamie said that the new RV lot freed up about 1500 additional spaces and that the newer lots at Fisher and Stevens added about 300 more. The development will take away about 1600 of those but from before the RV lot and other projects until after the project is completed there will be a net gain in spaces of about 200!
sorry, i thought the all caps with a double question/exclamation would have been sufficient replacement for a jimlad, it was sarcasm.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I’m not one who usually likes to go somewhere to watch games but if I am this is likely one of the best options. I also think you greatly underestimate the amount of people who do this type of thing. PnL is full even during games for the Big 12 tournament. Ballpark Village in St Louis always seems full.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I’m not one who usually likes to go somewhere to watch games but if I am this is likely one of the best options. I also think you greatly underestimate the amount of people who do this type of thing. PnL is full even during games for the Big 12 tournament. Ballpark Village in St Louis always seems full.

Cowles Commons in DT DSM usually does a March madness outdoor/tented kind of thing for the first weekend too.

It is interesting seeing the design of the 2 buildings opposite the stage. I suppose they thought something like a P&L/Ballpark Village that would be enclosed or mostly enclosed with a roof would be too shutoff from the rest of the area especially during game days?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don’t get worked up over these things. If somebody had asked my OPINION on if this would be a big money maker (different than viable), I probably would have said no. But that’s without data or expertise in feasibility studies.

Because these experts get paid just for feasibility studies, I would go with their expert analysis.

Only time will tell, so no sense in throwing unscientific conjecture around on this.
I would suggest that they are often rosier than reality. This based upon experience.
That's not to suggest they are always wrong, or even that this project might do other good making it worthwhile even with a red balance sheet.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I would suggest that they are often rosier than reality. This based upon experience.
That's not to suggest they are always wrong, or even that this project might to other good making it worthwhile even with a red balance sheet.

I mean, they are basically getting paid to justify the project. Pretty easy to come up with justification when that's what you're getting paid for. I still think that it can be VERY successful, but there are a ton of unknowns (to us at least) at this point.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
That's not how it works.

The project will fund itself... if there is demand for it, the revenues that come in, fund the bonds for the next round of development, and so on.

I think this is a creative way to add value to Ames and ISU.

1) I think ISU has a proven model for working with industry at the ISU Center. Adding opportunities for on campus locations for these companies, makes sense.

2) Large public university, USDA, plus growing number of companies partnering with the university - makes sense to have a large conference center to hold events...

3) With 1 & 2 you now can have year round opportunities for hosting events; this supports planned hotel, restaurants, bars... so this makes sense.

4) Now add renovated arenas for sporting events, concerts, etc.. you can attract more people to the area who then increase the value of the hotel, restaurant, bars, etc.

Green Bay, WI has about 100k people. Ames has about 70k. Title town is open year round with concerts and other activities held through the year. But they don't have a huge public university like ISU. This is a huge advantage that can draw many various conferences to the area. No, ISU is not the Green Bay Packers... but ISU has many sporting events through out the year.

Lambeau: ~9 home games (8.5 average + playoffs) x 81.5k = 735k / yr

Jack Trice: 6.5 home games x 58.5k = 380k / yr
Hilton MBB: 19 home games (used 2021) x 12.5k (87% capacity) = 240k/yr

Total FB & MBB: 620k / Yr

How many conferences, concerts, etc. can be booked? we will see... but it's not zero.

Potential is there...

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
My two cents is that some people are thinking too all or nothing about the plan at this point. The four buildings closest to Jack Trice (medical clinic, brew pub/restaurant, 2 suit/retail buildings) are definitely getting built and seem to more or less already be lined up. Everything else is a plan as of right now that can and will be adjusted. Its very possible that the north half ends up being a hardscaped/landscaped plaza that is more flexible or its possible that the 4/5 buildings on the north half get built in some way similar to the plan (with the type of tenants/uses determined by demand). The hotel/convention building by Hilton is a somewhat independent question and will likely depends on finding a hotel partner and how the development ultimately comes together.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone87

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
If this place has a couple of bars and such, they could easily get smaller music acts lined up for the fall and spring time down there. Lots of students would use it. We stay even halfway decent in Bball, Football, wrestling, vball, etc... people from those events will hit up the places here as well. There's also a lot of middle aged families living in Ames these days who'd likely frequent the restaurants on the weekends.

Reactions: jdolson27

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The project will fund itself... if there is demand for it, the revenues that come in, fund the bonds for the next round of development, and so on.

I think this is a creative way to add value to Ames and ISU.

1) I think ISU has a proven model for working with industry at the ISU Center. Adding opportunities for on campus locations for these companies, makes sense.

2) Large public university, USDA, plus growing number of companies partnering with the university - makes sense to have a large conference center to hold events...

3) With 1 & 2 you now can have year round opportunities for hosting events; this supports planned hotel, restaurants, bars... so this makes sense.

4) Now add renovated arenas for sporting events, concerts, etc.. you can attract more people to the area who then increase the value of the hotel, restaurant, bars, etc.

Green Bay, WI has about 100k people. Ames has about 70k. Title town is open year round with concerts and other activities held through the year. But they don't have a huge public university like ISU. This is a huge advantage that can draw many various conferences to the area. No, ISU is not the Green Bay Packers... but ISU has many sporting events through out the year.

Lambeau: ~9 home games (8.5 average + playoffs) x 81.5k = 735k / yr

Jack Trice: 6.5 home games x 58.5k = 380k / yr
Hilton MBB: 19 home games (used 2021) x 12.5k (87% capacity) = 240k/yr

Total FB & MBB: 620k / Yr

How many conferences, concerts, etc. can be booked? we will see... but it's not zero.

Potential is there...
We were in the Lambeau Field/Titletown area a month ago. OMG!!!!

Check it out.

Reactions: cymonw1980

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
We were in the Lambeau Field/Titletown area a month ago. OMG!!!!

Check it out.
I was there last year in the summer... it's awesome! it's a great concept. I think it really has a chance in Iowa. Build a place that brings in people year round, pretty soon you will have people all over central iowa coming to Ames.

Shopping / Malls have been a major weakness in Ames... I wonder if between Cy-Town and Main St renovations they can finally build a new shopping presence in ames. That would be another opportunity....

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
IMO, there are too many people looking at the project as something that's only going to be used to supplement gamedays rather than an investment in the community. It's no different than mid-sized cities that have invested in re-energizing their downtown areas with public spaces, bar/restaurant and small retail. I think people are having a tough time thinking about that concept in new construction rather than revitalization.

The beauty in this is you're going to be able to do that 'Main Street' type feel while having the parking and other infrastructure that just simply aren't possible in refurbished downtowns.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
IMO, there are too many people looking at the project as something that's only going to be used to supplement gamedays rather than an investment in the community. It's no different than mid-sized cities that have invested in re-energizing their downtown areas with public spaces, bar/restaurant and small retail. I think people are having a tough time thinking about that concept in new construction rather than revitalization.

The beauty in this is you're going to be able to do that 'Main Street' type feel while having the parking and other infrastructure that just simply aren't possible in refurbished downtowns.
Parking at downtown Ames is very easy but I understand what you're saying. I'm glad they are working with the city so that somewhat helps my concerns about taking away investments and energy in campustown and downtown.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That's not how it works.

Its exactly how it works.

There are town Squares and Town Centers all over that are doing exactly this. And this will have 10x the opportunities and options. This has so much more potential, and options. But you skimmed the plan. And skimmed the press conf. so you know more than anyone and the people that have been researching the viability of this for years.

But I have seen your posts all over the last few days being totally negative on everything. This, the team, everything. Are you even an ISU fan? Are you a troll?