Ref have no consequences

CyState85

May 8, 2019
All three of the terrible personal foul penalties were very poor interpretation of the rules.

Targeting has its place but stopping the game on a routine hit when a penalty wasn’t called originally is so bad. Baylor had a few that should not be called but were equally/worse than Freyler’s.

The ref that threw the flag on Reeder had to have seen something wrong and assumed he head hunted. Taking out a crosser within the LOS is totally legal and that severity of a hit shouldn’t be called unnecessary roughness in middle school.

Don’t know what else to say about the below the waste flag. Terrible interpretation of an understandable rule.

We had our chances to overcome officiating errors and that’s ultimately on us, but those errors directly leading to 14 points being scored and an ejection of one of our top players early in the game. So so so bad

So the ‘sack’ that Reeder had was called on him?!?! I couldn’t hear the number for the penalty and was not sure what the hell that call was. Help me out with that one.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
So the ‘sack’ that Reeder had was called on him?!?! I couldn’t hear the number for the penalty and was not sure what the hell that call was. Help me out with that one.
The unnecessary roughness penalty on Reeder was when he shoved a WR that was crossing in front of him near the line of scrimmage. The WR fell down. It was a bs call. I thought MJ Anderson was clearly held on the same play as he beat his guy as he was rushing the QB.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reeder didn’t get the sack. These refs said you can get unnecessary roughness if you jam a receiver too hard. Total crap call.

Reactions: Newell

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Reeder didn’t get the sack. These refs said you can get unnecessary roughness if you jam a receiver too hard. Total crap call.
In the stands another call that baffled me was in the second half when Dekkers completed a short pass to a wide open RB I believe. They whistled the play dead saying his forward momentum had been stopped. How does a QB clearly still going forward and not even beyond the LOS have his momentum stopped?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I am almost universally #TeamRef because the game is incredibly fast and incredibly difficult to officiate.

That said, I completely understand why the white hat threw the flag. He was behind the play, saw the defender dip his shoulder and the guard went ass over applecart. Your brain immediately tells you that the defender went low. I get it. What is inexcusable is that the linesman has the front side of that play. He either didn't have the confidence to have a discussion on it or, worse, his eyes wandered somewhere else and he missed it.

There's a huge difference in going the wrong way on a 50/50 (it happens) and having a total meltdown in mechanics and/or communication (inexcusable). This was the latter and that's stuff that you see in high school games, not major college football.

Reactions: BCClone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
In the stands another call that baffled me was in the second half when Dekkers completed a short pass to a wide open RB I believe. They whistled the play dead saying his forward momentum had been stopped. How does a QB clearly still going forward and not even beyond the LOS have his momentum stopped?
That was a bad quick whistle by the ref. On TV you could see he blew his whistle, but he shouldn’t have.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Straight up ISU is better than Baylor. When you spot them 14 points, remove your best safety in the 1st minute of the game, throw in a couple other bull$hit calls, you now have a very uneven field.
I know I can speak for all of us.... when Jamie gets the apology letter from the big 12 later this week, we will all have the warm fuzzies and feel MUCH better. Yeah right.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
That was another BS call. Happened right in front of me. If you watch 1000 more football games this fall, you wont ever see it called.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Looking back on this the only thing I can think of is iirc Dekkers covered the ball up like he was going to take the sack before dumping it off so perhaps that prompted the ref to blow the whistle to call the play dead.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That bothered me two different ways. Was he stopped? I couldn’t tell since we are on the other side and other 12 yard line. What I will say is, if he was stopped and then they blew the whistle, why the hell was it not unnecessary roughness when two baylor defenders drove Dekkers to the ground after the whistle was blown. Either he’s not down and the hits are okay or he is down and you have a unnecessary roughness penalty. One or the other, not both favoring one team…..crap once again.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I rewatched the first half. The bad calls totally dominated the half and directly resulted in helping Baylor score 14 points. The 4th and 5th plays of the game resulted in 30 penalty yards for Baylor that put them in scoring position that allowed them to go for it on two forth downs that ultimately ended in a TD. That drive likely stalls without the penalties. Then Anthony Johnson’s low block penalty gave Baylor a first down when Johnson had made a great play that stopped Baylor on a third and long situation. Those three unjustified penalties had a huge impact on the game.

That crew should have to review the film and explain their calls in some sort of press conference.

• Winner
Reactions: CYCLONE STATE

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
The whistle should have not been blown and the pass should have been allowed. Hunter was not stopped when he threw the ball.
If Hunter was stopped, then ISU should have gotten a couple more sacks on the baylor QB as we had hands on him a couple times and he got away for positive yardage.

Reactions: bozclone

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The refs have the best job.... they can be total fuckup$, never have to explain themselves, and still have a job next week!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Straight up ISU is better than Baylor. When you spot them 14 points, remove your best safety in the 1st minute of the game, throw in a couple other bull$hit calls, you now have a very uneven field.
I know I can speak for all of us.... when Jamie gets the apology letter from the big 12 later this week, we will all have the warm fuzzies and feel MUCH better. Yeah right.

The bolded part above is unknowable in reality.

I thought Baylor clearly looked like the better team in all 3 phases pretty much.... and in coaching too.... but it's really hard to know if the game might have been different without all the horrible calls in the 1st half.... so it's tough to know that answer.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am almost universally #TeamRef because the game is incredibly fast and incredibly difficult to officiate.

That said, I completely understand why the white hat threw the flag. He was behind the play, saw the defender dip his shoulder and the guard went ass over applecart. Your brain immediately tells you that the defender went low. I get it. What is inexcusable is that the linesman has the front side of that play. He either didn't have the confidence to have a discussion on it or, worse, his eyes wandered somewhere else and he missed it.

There's a huge difference in going the wrong way on a 50/50 (it happens) and having a total meltdown in mechanics and/or communication (inexcusable). This was the latter and that's stuff that you see in high school games, not major college football.

The problem is when the game is apparently so fast and hard to call right for one team but they can call it completely different for the other team in same game situations.

A lot of the ref apologists putting the loss not on the refs are howling that Baylor was more aggressive. How on earth are we the team penalized for textbook normal tackles being too violent if Baylor was supposedly so much more aggressive. Ref apologists saying Baylor was more aggressive are proving themselves morons with that statement.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I think ref should be paid according to how their game grades out. After every game they are paid more if they make more correct calls, less if they blo
Unfortunately they don’t do apology letters any more and Jamie doesn’t seem to have the appetite to make a public spectacle of it. I’m not sure why, the official channels path has done absolutely 0 for us over his tenure. We continue to get screwed against the chosen teams.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
The targeting on ISU and what appeard two non targeting calls on Baylor were made by replay official. I'd have some questions for that guy on why no look at it...IF your going to stop the game and call ISU's targeting
I counted 4 non-calls for targeting on Baylor one of which rendered an ISU player unconscious. Art Briles ran a cleaner program at Baylor than than Aranda.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The bolded part above is unknowable in reality.

I thought Baylor clearly looked like the better team in all 3 phases pretty much.... and in coaching too.... but it's really hard to know if the game might have been different without all the horrible calls in the 1st half.... so it's tough to know that answer.

The thing is ISU did look better in all three phases the entire first half. It was 14-3 in terms of earned scores and who knows how much more dominant it could’ve been if ISU’s d hadn’t been forced to stay on field after they earned coming off field.

Third quarter…1/4 of the game….yes Baylor looked dominant. They didn’t dominate the fourth. A lot of the apologists need to rewatch the game or do some math that 1/4 isn’t a majority of a game.

Last edited: