First Place

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think we still want to proceed carefully in this space. TJ has been absolutely amazing so far, but he still has one major hurdle to clear starting next year and that is proving he can win with young, high level talent. That is a different position than he has been in so far and is going to be key to the program continuing to improve going forward. And it will require additional skills as far as managing egos and more teaching and development.

Consider this my trauma from the McDermott era. The guy had clearly shown he could coach at UNI and later at Creighton, but just couldn't manage the high talent guys he had at ISU. TJ hasn't had the chance to show that yet. For me it is the last big question mark.
I actually have the same concern. They lose experienced bucket getters in Holmes and Kalscheur plus maybe the best big in the conference in Osun. On the plus side, we could get Grill back and some of the younger players like Lipsey and Watson are getting good experience. Still, I think that they'll need to find at least one good scoring guard/wing in the portal. And potentially a post unless Ward comes back and is a heck of a lot better. Otherwise, they're starting Omaha at the 5.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I think we still want to proceed carefully in this space. TJ has been absolutely amazing so far, but he still has one major hurdle to clear starting next year and that is proving he can win with young, high level talent. That is a different position than he has been in so far and is going to be key to the program continuing to improve going forward. And it will require additional skills as far as managing egos and more teaching and development.

Consider this my trauma from the McDermott era. The guy had clearly shown he could coach at UNI and later at Creighton, but just couldn't manage the high talent guys he had at ISU. TJ hasn't had the chance to show that yet. For me it is the last big question mark.
We wont be as young as you would think next year. Best case (and likely) scenario we get two high level transfers with a lot of experience. Grill and Tre King are sure to be major contributors. Rob Jones and/or Hason Ward will likely be back and will see minutes. As a sophomore it will feel like Lipsey is a 5th year senior and Im sure he will play that way as well Jeremiah Williams will be back and it will be his 4th year in a college program. That is likely EIGHT or NINE possible contributors with a ton of college experience. Those talented freshman will need to earn their minutes. We wont be rolling out a ton of underclassmen however.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
We wont be as young as you would think next year. Best case (and likely) scenario we get two high level transfers with a lot of experience. Grill and Tre King are sure to be major contributors. Rob Jones and/or Hason Ward will likely be back and will see minutes. As a sophomore it will feel like Lipsey is a 5th year senior and Im sure he will play that way as well Jeremiah Williams will be back and it will be his 4th year in a college program. That is likely EIGHT or NINE possible contributors with a ton of college experience. Those talented freshman will need to earn their minutes. We wont be rolling out a ton of underclassmen however.
My bigger concern is managing egos and getting buy in from these higher rated recruits as opposed to the youth issue. We have seen that be an issue at ISU before, and Otz hasn't had to deal with that angle yet.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I was just messing around with @mred calculator-

if we win on Monday night and Texas loses to Baylor and K-State loses to KU and then TCU beats WVU the standings would look like:

Iowa State- 7-2
Kansas State- 6-3
Baylor- 6-3
KU- 6-3
Texas- 6-3
TCU- 6-3

Crazy good.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

if we win on Monday night and Texas loses to Baylor and K-State loses to KU and then TCU beats WVU the standings would look like:

Iowa State- 7-2
Kansas State- 6-3
Baylor- 6-3
KU- 6-3
Texas- 6-3
TCU- 6-3

Crazy good.
The margin of error for us is still so crazy thin because of exactly this Kind of thing. A couple more turd sandwiches like okie st and we are playing with potential being the 6 seed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My bigger concern is managing egos and getting buy in from these higher rated recruits as opposed to the youth issue. We have seen that be an issue at ISU before, and Otz hasn't had to deal with that angle yet.

How do we know he hasn't dealt with egos yet?

Is there not enough evidence for these recruits to not know what they're walking into?

There will probably be some bumps with results but Hunter and Lipsey seemed to do just fine as freshman.

This is such a CF move to have people lining up to be worried about future seasons in the middle of a potentially (more) historic one.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUChippewa

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
How do we know he hasn't dealt with egos yet?

Is there not enough evidence for these recruits to not know what they're walking into?

There will probably be some bumps with results but Hunter and Lipsey seemed to do just fine as freshman.

This is such a CF move to have people lining up to be worried about future seasons in the middle of a potentially (more) historic one.

It's ridiculous. Tj took us to a sweet 16 with a rag tag group and has us in the hunt for a big 12 title with another bunch of pieces from the scrap heap.

CF: "YeAh But Im WoRrIeD wItH WhAt He WiLl Do WiTh HiGh EnD tAlEnT?!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's ridiculous. Tj took us to a sweet 16 with a rag tag group and has us in the hunt for a big 12 title with another bunch of pieces from the scrap heap.

Next comes 'what happened at UNLV!?' along with 'well he only won at SDSU because he had talent'.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Because we have seen it before with our own eyes in the McDermott era. He had been winning at a clip that UNI hadn't seen before with a rag tag group buying in to his system. They went to the dance and knocked off some good teams. Then he came to ISU and signed some great recruits and we were all jacked thinking about what he was going to do now that he had all this additional talent. Then the wheels fell off, and the narrative has always been he couldn't get the buy in and manage the egos of those higher ranked recruits.

Otz is at the point of making that same transition. I'm hopeful we have some upper class players to set the tone, that we are recruiting guys that also fit for chaacter, and that TJ has the tools to put it together. But some people here already want to back up the Brinks truck on TJs front lawn while measuring the rafters at Hilton for all the new banners. I'm just saying we should wait to see a little more as we move into next season before doing anything drastic. Seen too many coaches here start hot and then struggle to sustain it after we get locked in to bigger contracts. McDermoot, Prohm, CPR over on the football side. We need to reward success, but we need to be smart about it.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Because we have seen it before with our own eyes in the McDermott era. He had been winning at a clip that UNI hadn't seen before with a rag tag group buying in to his system. They went to the dance and knocked off some good teams. Then he came to ISU and signed some great recruits and we were all jacked thinking about what he was going to do now that he had all this additional talent. Then the wheels fell off, and the narrative has always been he couldn't get the buy in and manage the egos of those higher ranked recruits.

Otz is at the point of making that same transition. I'm hopeful we have some upper class players to set the tone, that we are recruiting guys that also fit for chaacter, and that TJ has the tools to put it together. But some people here already want to back up the Brinks truck on TJs front lawn while measuring the rafters at Hilton for all the new banners. I'm just saying we should wait to see a little more as we move into next season before doing anything drastic. Seen too many coaches here start hot and then struggle to sustain it after we get locked in to bigger contracts. McDermoot, Prohm, CPR over on the football side. We need to reward success, but we need to be smart about it.
I am well aware of all of the above. Worrying about it right now, much less posting about it in a thread titled "First Place" is a colossal waste of time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Yeah, we've never seen what TJ is doing here.
I'll agree on that last sentence there, but TJ has shown that he can quickly assemble teams here, and that here is why most of us aren't worried about what he can do with higher end talent.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's premature, but would like to point out Fardaws Aimaq and Pop Isaacs were both out yesterday vs. WVU.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Iowa State- 7-2
Kansas State- 6-3
Baylor- 6-3
KU- 6-3
Texas- 6-3
TCU- 6-3

Crazy good.
Are there enough tie breakers to break a 6 way tie at the end of the season. Seeding at the Big 12 tournament will be interesting.