Racist UofI Hawkkks - Settlement Paid By Tax Payers

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
To try to calm the anger of Iowa tax payers, my inside source is telling me Iowa's athletic department is planning to mail each tax payer a free commemorative KKK lapel pin. Those who wear the pin to the Iowa spring football game will receive free pizza.
What if I want a burger and fries. Where is my justice!

Reactions: Kinch

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
To me the biggest elephant in the room is Ferentz issuing the following statement after he and Brian stonewalled giving any depositions for two years. Per Ferentz quote:

"For more than two years, our program has been unfairly and negatively impacted by these allegations. Members of the staff had their character and reputation tarnished by former members of our team who said things, then recanted many statements when questioned under oath."

No need to fear giving your deposition if you are clean.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Disagree somewhat. I think he accomplished something and that was bringing to light a settlement had been reached and was being voted on. I don't think anything news was released about a potential settlement or that it was being voted on until Sand went public and said the only way the state should pay is if Barta is out.

Without Sand doing that, my guess is Iowa was planning on releasing a barebones statement saying a settlement has been reached for $4mil and trying to let it blow on bye without any questioning, unless someone FOIA 'd it in which case they could stall it out until it was too late to make an issue of it.
Sand also got Roby Smith to concede that Barta's ouster should be part of the deal. He still voted to approve because it was the cheapest way out for the State.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Since I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath, here are my thoughts.

I'm not happy and I'm actually really pissed off for a number of reasons. I'll preface this by saying that I'm an older fan and was in the military in the mid 90s where the PC culture was a lot more relaxed (not saying that is right, but things were obviously a lot different back then as far was what things people could or could not say).

When everything first came out and the more I looked at everything, it was pretty obvious that Doyle had to go and he should have been disciplined much earlier. I thought it was really interesting that almost all of the complaints were against Doyle and most of those were from recent players. I think Doyle and obviously KF are dinosaurs and they didn't change with the times. What Doyle used to be able to get away with is no longer accepted today. I also feel he abused his power.

With the lawsuit, I thought the allegations were really flimsy and was hoping the University would take it all the way to court especially after almost all of the allegations were recanted under oath. Why would you settle now after almost three years and allegations were recanted and their was a motion to dismiss on the table. I obviously am not a lawyer and don't know everything, but from everything that was made public it looked like Iowa was in a really good position. When the coaches got dismissed and I saw that BF objected, I knew a settlement was in the works and couldn't figure that out. It seemed everything was going the University's way in these proceedings. I was then hoping the settlement would be for peanuts and this would be over with.

Then the news of the $4 million plus settlement shocked the hell out of me and the part that the tax payers have to pay half of it. That is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not sure Iowa could have handled this thing any worse than they did, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the amount of incompetence from the AD's office and the University as whole lately.

I'm also not sure what Iowa does from here. I don't believe KF or BF to be racists and I honestly believe that KF thought he was doing things right as the Iowa FB coach. But at the same time, this all happened under his watch so he is obviously not innocent either. I wouldn't be upset if we cleaned house and started over, but I'm guessing KF and BF keep their jobs and Barta either resign or is let go.

Anyways, end of rant.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'm guessing that last night in the state of Iowa, this was a big story with lots of pissed off tax payers (rightly so).
It appears to me the Kirk had his statement written for him... no way is he bright enough to come up with that sack of $hit he's trying to sell.
The decision to use taxpayer money to pay off part of this BS, was less of a political move... I feel the fandom of the committee to give their favorite school the $ came first. Their political ideology took a back seat this time.
Bottom line: The Hoks athletic dept is a total $hitshow, and no politician (regardless of party) can be trusted.

• Dumb
Reactions: Halincandenza

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I'm guessing that last night in the state of Iowa, this was a big story with lots of pissed off tax payers (rightly so).
It appears to me the Kirk had his statement written for him... no way is he bright enough to come up with that sack of $hit he's trying to sell.
The decision to use taxpayer money to pay off part of this BS, was less of a political move... I feel the fandom of the committee to give their favorite school the $ came first. Their political ideology took a back seat this time.
Bottom line: The Hoks athletic dept is a total $hitshow, and no politician (regardless of party) can be trusted.
I disagree. Brenna Bird agreed to this and she is Gov Reynolds enforcer. They had no choice but to bow to the whims of Bird otherwise face her wrath.

Reactions: Turn2

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I thought same initially. But thinking more, all he really did was grandstand.

He didnt win the argument, or really fight it in any meaningful way. He could have got out ahead of this and put pressure on the other 2 folks. Instead he let it happen and acted morally offended once it was a fair accompli.
Second, he not once breathed Kirks name as the real owner of this problem. He didnt go after the source. He just went after the easy and unloved target, ie Barta. He was afraid to grab that 3rd rail and go after Kirk, who as someone mentioned is clearly the most powerful person in the state.

So idk how brave or principled this really is. That said, no one else even pretended to care, so i will give him credit for pretending at least.

In the end, SOMEONE, probably in the media, but maybe in government, is going to have to go Don Quixote after Kirk. Otherwise, he is going to coach his way out the door til he doesnt feel like it anymore and be thought a hero. Which probably 99% chance thats how it turns out. No justice.
I agree on the grandstanding. He is the only elected democrat in the Statehouse right now I believe, so he is using this to his advantage some.

On the point of him going after Kirk, Sands point is this is the 4th settlement that has been reached with the University of Iowa Athletics, all from different coaches. This is the first time it has happened with football. He is going after Barta because the entire Athletic Department is costing the State money, not just football.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think Sand is doing two things. He is speaking out because he really does think Iowa should pay for it all but also he is using that to help himself politically. But that is what politicians do. I don't like Rob Sand very much but I don't have an issue with what he is doing.

Reactions: 7Got6 and cytor

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Since I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath, here are my thoughts.

I'm not happy and I'm actually really pissed off for a number of reasons. I'll preface this by saying that I'm an older fan and was in the military in the mid 90s where the PC culture was a lot more relaxed (not saying that is right, but things were obviously a lot different back then as far was what things people could or could not say).

When everything first came out and the more I looked at everything, it was pretty obvious that Doyle had to go and he should have been disciplined much earlier. I thought it was really interesting that almost all of the complaints were against Doyle and most of those were from recent players. I think Doyle and obviously KF are dinosaurs and they didn't change with the times. What Doyle used to be able to get away with is no longer accepted today. I also feel he abused his power.

With the lawsuit, I thought the allegations were really flimsy and was hoping the University would take it all the way to court especially after almost all of the allegations were recanted under oath. Why would you settle now after almost three years and allegations were recanted and their was a motion to dismiss on the table. I obviously am not a lawyer and don't know everything, but from everything that was made public it looked like Iowa was in a really good position. When the coaches got dismissed and I saw that BF objected, I knew a settlement was in the works and couldn't figure that out. It seemed everything was going the University's way in these proceedings. I was then hoping the settlement would be for peanuts and this would be over with.

Then the news of the $4 million plus settlement shocked the hell out of me and the part that the tax payers have to pay half of it. That is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not sure Iowa could have handled this thing any worse than they did, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the amount of incompetence from the AD's office and the University as whole lately.

I'm also not sure what Iowa does from here. I don't believe KF or BF to be racists and I honestly believe that KF thought he was doing things right as the Iowa FB coach. But at the same time, this all happened under his watch so he is obviously not innocent either. I wouldn't be upset if we cleaned house and started over, but I'm guessing KF and BF keep their jobs and Barta either resign or is let go.

Anyways, end of rant.
I didn't think all of the coaches got dismissed, only Barnes and maybe one other. Kirk and Brian were still defendants as far as I was aware. They had filed a motion to get the case dismissed but that was never was ruled on by a judge.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I didn't think all of the coaches got dismissed, only Barnes and maybe one other. Kirk and Brian were still defendants as far as I was aware. They had filed a motion to get the case dismissed but that was never was ruled on by a judge.
Kirk and BF were dismissed from the case last week. BF objected to being dismissed, that is when I knew they dismissed them because a settlement was already in the works. BF didn't want a settlement and that is why he objected.

Reactions: keepngoal

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
There were some defendants dismissed earlier but then the remaining individuals were dismissed a week ago or so before the settlement. There was a motion for summary judgment pending and also a motion to dismiss at the time of the dismissal. BF resisted the motion to dismiss because he was the one with the MSJ pending. Because of the timing of the motion to dismiss, the judge has to approve he dismissal. As far as I know a hearing on the dismissal hasn't happened yet. But probably 99% the judge grants the dismissal. Would have to be some weird circumstances where a judge wouldn't grant it.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
As a Cyclone fan, I would hate to see Barta resign. He is the definition of a “gift that keeps on giving.”

Reactions: qwerty

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Kirk and BF were dismissed from the case last week. BF objected to being dismissed, that is when I knew they dismissed them because a settlement was already in the works. BF didn't want a settlement and that is why he objected.
Yet they didn't want to sit down for depositions.

Yeah right

Reactions: VeloClone

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I think Sand is doing two things. He is speaking out because he really does think Iowa should pay for it all but also he is using that to help himself politically. But that is what politicians do. I don't like Rob Sand very much but I don't have an issue with what he is doing.
I agree. I don't know the political affiliation of the members that voted for it, but if they are conservative AND they voted for it, that tells me the the fandom of the school took precedence first. Totally understandable what Sand did, too,

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree. I don't know the political affiliation of the members that voted for it, but if they are conservative AND they voted for it, that tells me the the fandom of the school took precedence first. Totally understandable what Sand did, too,
I think it had more to do with just doing the opposite of what Sand was doing.