Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Agreed, we are officially in. What's going on mode. Now BF and staff have some explaining to do!!
The world is very different in the times of NIL and relatively free will transfer rules. But no, cant give a medical exemption to a young player with 13 games in NCAA play. And I understand the earlier thoughts on that.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
During her post game radio interviews this year I got the feeling that she wasn't having a good time. She really didn't sound happy.

If Ryan is the next to go we are S.O.L. next year.

From winning the Big 12 tournament two weeks ago to this.

Reactions: tsirnickesqcy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It makes me sad. Not so much for me and other fans, but for her seemingly playing/played where and when it just wasn't right for her.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I just told a friend that this news would blow the boards up. It has…conjecture away…

Seriously…none of us know why. I much prefer to see if something surfaces explaining it versus screaming and running around shouting “the sky is falling.“ BTW that’s code for “Fennelly should be fired…something is wrong!”

I look at other programs that are solid as examples. Use Maryland. What happened to them last year? Lots of departures including a now prize player at LSU.
This absolutely sucks but not that surprising. I feel like Bill never utilized her enough on offense and she always seemed frustrated with certain players taking all the shots. Also, I won’t say her name but I just played basketball with a now former player who said a lot of the players do not like Bill and if you aren’t the best player on the team he barely even cares about you. I’d say there’s definitely problems within the program. For Lexi to leave when she was going to potentially be the teams leading scorer next year is ALARMING to say the least.
My opinion is kind of related - I think it’s related to coaching or lack there of. I am not certain we optimize the chance for success of our players.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
This puts a damper on my Friday afternoon - I really believed she was poised to step up and lead this group of talented freshmen coming in, establishing herself up there with Carlton and Joens on the list of all time greats.

From that class, I liked Lexi and Kylie for their athleticism - now both gone!

Reactions: WBBfan15

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This doesn't surprise me, but it does piss me off. I don't know why Lex is leaving, but I have to believe this goes back to Bill's player development and how his teams seem more focused on one player being POY rather than winning the conference. Lex was a very highly rated recruit who he basically relegated to a defensive stopper the past two years. If I was her, I would see Clarke at Iowa and wonder what the heck happened to me.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Let’s be honest, he probably should retire. He hit his ceiling a long time ago, and refuses to change to fix his deficiencies. Also,when was the last time you can say one of his teams exceeded expectations? They either meet expectations or fall below.

The man is an absolute legend and deserves to go out whenever he wants to, but it sure seems like it’s time. Let’s just hope that when it happens we don’t go the nepotism route to replace him. I can’t think of a single instance of replacing a legend with their kid has ever worked.
there's no way Billy or any of the assistants would ever be hired as HC...I don't see Jamie going that route.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
This absolutely sucks but not that surprising. I feel like Bill never utilized her enough on offense and she always seemed frustrated with certain players taking all the shots. Also, I won’t say her name but I just played basketball with a now former player who said a lot of the players do not like Bill and if you aren’t the best player on the team he barely even cares about you. I’d say there’s definitely problems within the program. For Lexi to leave when she was going to potentially be the teams leading scorer next year is ALARMING to say the least.
I'll buy your theory on how tough it might be to play for Bill, but not the frustration of certain players taking all the shots. The only one that did that was Joens, and she is gone. Fritz doesn't shoot an over amount, Emily we often can't get to shoot enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lexi didn't have the second most attempts by the team, but I'm not sure. I suppose this sounds selfish but I've given to the womens basketball NIL and ISU in general. Wanted to support them as much as the guys. I accept that players leave, but if we're going to give extra money, I think we deserve a little clarification on what the reasons are. Will still support whomever wants to be here, but this offseason has a different vibe.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Emily is the only Cyclone left from one of our best recruiting classes ever.

Bill has had retention issues for years now. The last 3-4 years were better but from the late 2000's to now it's been tough keeping girls here.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Obviously there's lots of speculation around Fennelly and if he's retiring or if something else is happening behind the scenes, but for the sake of me looking for a more positive outcome, let's say Bill does retire, who do we think we could get realistically?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Already Hawk fans on Keith Murphy's post drooling at the prospect of her in the same backcourt as Clark. Man that would be a big kick in the nuts if she winds up at Iowa, even worse than going to an in conference school.
well if that happened, and I sincerely doubt it, she would definitely throw out the theory that it was because a teammate gets all the glory and attention. Guessing Clark will still get a little attention next year. LOL. They are getting key starters Marshall and Martin taking their super senior years, besides. Why would Hawk fans even think they need her?

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.