"It's good for the state!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure If you mean people out of state. In iowa they definitely are. People that don't even watch women's basketball are talking about it.

That is what I'm talking about. This notion that 'America's watching' or whatever doesn't actually hold much weight.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Without Clark does Iowa make the tourney? Absolutely incredible how different of a level she is. And she does a great job using her teammates.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Not sure If you mean people out of state. In iowa they definitely are. People that don't even watch women's basketball are talking about it.
It and she were mentioned on CBS evening news last night.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I know a lot of Hawk fans that were enjoying Purdy's success.
Hawk fans enjoying Purdy's success as a 49er (especially when it's connected to a former Hawkeye TE) is not the same as cheering on a current representative of ISU athletics.

Did the Hawks cheer for Purdy over Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
That's the point. Get outside of the bubble and it's not exactly a hot topic.

When I've been back in eastern Iowa though yeah it's rampant. But that's an area with people that wave at the TV during their 'great tradition' so it's not to be taken seriously.
They wave at the TV A LOT over there.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wouldn’t recommend being this petty but during Brock Purdy insanity I’d say Iowa message boards and Twitter handled it about 70/30 in terms of being whiny little babies.

I don’t see any ISU fans claiming CC is a total fraud which was the most common Iowa fan reaction online to Brock Purdy.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
I wouldn’t recommend being this petty but during Brock Purdy insanity I’d say Iowa message boards and Twitter handled it about 70/30 in terms of being whiny little babies.

I don’t see any ISU fans claiming CC is a total fraud which was the most common Iowa fan reaction online to Brock Purdy.
Purdy was also playing on the biggest stage in the world where Iowa is playing college WBB which generates almost no interest outside of a couple weeks in March. It would hard to be a hater of any NFL player who is having a lot of success.

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I enjoyed last night's game, and it is good that the state of Iowa got the attention. Both teams have several women from the state of Iowa on their squads, so it shows the quality of the sport that we have in this tiny flyover place.

Cloned8

Mar 23, 2017
High school.girls basketball numbers in the state of Iowa are dropping at an alarming rate. If the success of this team has a positive impact on numbers and overall level of play then that is great for the state of Iowa. You may not like the team carrying the torch but you should respect the run they are on and the potential impact on your daughters and grand daughters playing basketball in the future.

• Creative
Reactions: Rogue52

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
One of the reasons I can't stand basically everyone but Keith Murphy on the station.....but this is the classic, if roles were reversed, Cyclones would get a "can't have success without bringing in the Hawks...#rentfree" type of comment

Reactions: WartburgClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am excited about it to an extent, I like NBA basketball and watching how much better CC is than other womens players kind of reminds me of seeing a masterful NBA player. I felt that way a bit when we had Soares doing some things in the paint that were next level too.

Why not? It seems like womens basketball has always shot itself in the foot by having a small handful of programs be so dominant. I didn't watch the entire game but watching lengthy highlights of most of the baskets it's pretty clear it was so much easier for South Carolina to get a whistle when they made a shot and drew contact. On one play I'm sure some ISU fans hate seeing CC complain to the ref, but she had a great point that she got hit hard on a made basket and on the other end their bigs were getting plenty of and one opportunities.

Same thing if some Iowa fan had his day ruined by Brock Purdy having the best QB stats in the weeks he played NFL football...I mean how freaking grouchy of a life is that? It seems pretty common but it's weird.

Reactions: CapnCy

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
One of the reasons I can't stand basically everyone but Keith Murphy on the station.....but this is the classic, if roles were reversed, Cyclones would get a "can't have success without bringing in the Hawks...#rentfree" type of comment

Like I've ALWAYS have said.....absolutely nothing good comes about as the result of sukeye success in anything. They think they are entitled elitists.....when actually they are whinny pukes.
In spite of Mulkey......GO LSU !!!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The only one I know also happens to be a 49ers fan. The rest don't care.

Plenty cared who frequent the Iowa message boards and Twitter. Maybe non internet fans didn't care or liked it. My Iowa fan relatives certainly have nothing against Purdy or his NFL success.

Like I said, the first time I hear an ISU fan say Caitlyn Clark is a fraud who sucks will be the first. That was pretty common from Iowa fans about Purdy as he was tearing it up in the NFL.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Without Clark does Iowa make the tourney? Absolutely incredible how different of a level she is. And she does a great job using her teammates.
Make the tourney? Yes. The group around her has the makings of a solid team, not unlike a lot of Bluder's teams pre-Gustafson. Finish in the top half of the Big Ten and get a seed in the 6-10 range, depending on the quality of the hypothetical replacement player who would have been recruited to fill Clark's spot on the roster. Likely a first weekend exit, but still a tourney team.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Ask yourself if Iowa fans think that ISU in a Fiesta Bowl, or Sweet Sixteen, or Brock Purdy's success, is "good for the state" and you'll have your answer.

Brock Purdy is different because it's happening on a random pro team. Some rags to riches story for a Hawkeye playing for the Miami Dolphins, especially if one of his best weapons was a beloved Clone (like George Kittle is for Hawkeye fans), would be more palatable to me than a Hawk playing as a Hawk for the Hawks right now.

Reactions: WartburgClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That is what I'm talking about. This notion that 'America's watching' or whatever doesn't actually hold much weight.

Clark was the lead story on MPR sports this morning as I was driving.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron