Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
This. It is an effort to allow dandelions etc to grow for pollinators to feed on while other things get going.
Dandelions have really never bothered me, mainly because I know they're important for pollinators. But I cant stand having long grass in my yard.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
About a month ago I laid some renovator on the yard, seeded the bare spots and covered with peat moss, then just went ahead and overseeded because I bought too much seed anyways. Today I put down some seedsafe fertilizer for crabgrass and a bunch of other listed weeds like dandelions.

Should start raining in about an hour, can see lightning in the distance.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
About a month ago I got laid
This is how I first read your post
KrZq.gif

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Dandelions have really never bothered me, mainly because I know they're important for pollinators. But I cant stand having long grass in my yard.

Dandelions are easy to take care of. My problem is the difficult weeds like creeping Charlie that'll overtake your entire lawn. Don't give your deadbeat neighbors another excuse to let that kind of stuff get out of control.

Reactions: khardbored

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
So the dog decided all winter that it was too cold to venture out more than a few feet from the patio to do her business. Now I've got a bunch of dead spots around the perimeter of the patio. Has anyone has any luck with products to neutralize urine, or am I just going to need to reseed those areas every spring and patch during the summer?
Get some NutriLime from Earl May. Apply liberally or ask someone there how much.

Or only other thing I've found that works is taking a pitcher of water with me out on every potty break. I can tell every spring when I was lazy and didn't.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Mayoral proclamations are a dime a dozen, wouldn't take it to be a recommendation. Someone makes a request, staff prepares it unless there's a solid reason to decline the request, mayor usually signs even if he/she thinks it's silly. No reason to upset someone over nothing

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
This. It is an effort to allow dandelions etc to grow for pollinators to feed on while other things get going.
I get this but when dandelions grow to seed they can spread easily. So let's say you have one person who sprays their lawn with chemicals to kill their weeds. Their neighbor doesn't and the dandelions spread into the already sprayed lawn. This person is upset and now sprays their lawn again (and possibly again, and again, etc) so now this lawn is getting more herbicide then would normally get. Is this a good thing? I honestly don't know, maybe its worth it, but telling people to not mow their lawns for a month just seems like it will lead to an increase of herbicide usage.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I get this but when dandelions grow to seed they can spread easily. So let's say you have one person who sprays their lawn with chemicals to kill their weeds. Their neighbor doesn't and the dandelions spread into the already sprayed lawn. This person is upset and now sprays their lawn again (and possibly again, and again, etc) so now this lawn is getting more herbicide then would normally get. Is this a good thing? I honestly don't know, maybe its worth it, but telling people to not mow their lawns for a month just seems like it will lead to an increase of herbicide usage.
I think you are overthinking how much of it is some good PR for certain groups vs the EXTREME minority that actually takes part.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
I think you are overthinking how much of it is some good PR for certain groups vs the EXTREME minority that actually takes part.
Perhaps you're right. I guess we shall see. I just hope there are not unintended consequences to this.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Perhaps you're right. I guess we shall see. I just hope there are not unintended consequences to this.
There are definitely going to be unintended consequences to this. People that don’t own the home they live in and don’t care about their yard can just let the yard turn to ****, despite what the homeowner may want. Glad I’m not in the DM market.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
We plant more than enough flowers to make of for the dandelions
I have never considered the pollinator thing. I guess I can rationalize my way out of this. We plant more than enough flowers to make of for the dandelions we don't have. But we enjoy the hobby. My wife hates bees so when we are outside we sit away from the flowers and enjoy them from a distance. A bee or wasp cant get within 10 feet of her without her standing up and swatting air. Yes we have pollinators without dandelions.

• Winner

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I dont get it. Do the flowers in peoples yards add up to that much?

Maybe instead of handing out little trees like the city does every year, they should give away bulbs for early sprouting flowers. And they could have more no mow prairie on city property.

Reactions: clone4life82

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s really stupid that we care about dandelions at all IMO. Only humans would be dumb enough to drown their own yards in chemicals to get rid of a yellow flowering plant.

Reactions: arobb