Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
It’s really stupid that we care about dandelions at all IMO. Only humans would be dumb enough to drown their own yards in chemicals to get rid of a yellow flowering plant.
It’s not the flower that is bad. It’s the greenery of the plant that sprawls out and sucks up nutrients and space that the grass needs. If left unchecked they can make a patchy grass yard in a few seasons.

Also… they are super easy to get rid of unlike some other weeds, so the ratio of effort to results is high.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s not the flower that is bad. It’s the greenery of the plant that sprawls out and sucks up nutrients and space that the grass needs. If left unchecked they can make a patchy grass yard in a few seasons.

Also… they are super easy to get rid of unlike some other weeds, so the ratio of effort to results is high.

So if you just let nature do its thing (as God intended, right?).... maybe our lawns were meant to be full of dandelions?

But instead we feel the need to poison our lawns, and ground water, because we feel dandelions (and other weeds) are an eyesore?

What a stupid species we are.... and yes I'm including myself in that. I put stuff on my yard, but only because my next door neighbors yard is perfect and I don't want them to despise me. If my neighbors yards were full of dandelions, I wouldn't care if mine was too. I know... I shouldn't give a s**t what other people think, but in this case I do.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
So if you just let nature do its thing (as God intended, right?).... maybe our lawns were meant to be full of dandelions?

But instead we feel the need to poison our lawns, and ground water, because we feel dandelions (and other weeds) are an eyesore?

What a stupid species we are.... and yes I'm including myself in that. I put stuff on my yard, but only because my next door neighbors yard is perfect and I don't want them to despise me. If my neighbors yards were full of dandelions, I wouldn't care if mine was too. I know... I shouldn't give a s**t what other people think, but in this case I do.
It’s weird how green it makes the grass for poisoning it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I mean neither the type of grass we have in our lawns or dandelions are native to north america, so neither were really "intended"

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

I mean…. Our lawns weren’t meant to be lawns at all. Forest or prairie is what most would prefer to be. Try or try not I guess.

And for what it’s worth… it’s not just the visuals of a nice yard that most people enjoy. Being able to walk and play barefoot in a soft, lush manicured lawn is as good as summer gets.

Last edited:

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
A few days ago we seeded a relatively large area. Have been watering, and now today we got almost an inch of rain. So there is plenty of moisture I was thinking about taking a break from watering until maybe Sunday. Any thoughts?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Dandelions are easy to take care of. My problem is the difficult weeds like creeping Charlie that'll overtake your entire lawn. Don't give your deadbeat neighbors another excuse to let that kind of stuff get out of control.

I cut out around 20 dandelions in front and back yard yesterday. I have an area of perenial wild flowers and noticed that my tomato numbers have increased the last couple of years due to this. Had eight jalapeno plants in some planter boxes and probably harvested over 5 gallons of them last year.

Have a wood fence up and neighbor's creeping Charlie is growing through in between the pickets. Constant battle to keep it under control and from spreading into my lawn.

Reactions: ianoconnor

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A few days ago we seeded a relatively large area. Have been watering, and now today we got almost an inch of rain. So there is plenty of moisture I was thinking about taking a break from watering until maybe Sunday. Any thoughts?
Keep 'er wet.

• Otz
Reactions: ianoconnor

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
I do bubble baths soaked in this stuff. Life changing.
R.04c7daa89ed0f76fb794a0ce3c445d1f
Meth lab starter kit.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger

If we let nature do its thing we would all be standing in 4' tall prairie grass and dandelions wouldn't even be seen.

Reactions: khardbored

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Found the bad neighbor in the neighborhood.
I think he used to live next door to me. I'm not a lawn Nazi or anything like that, I do a good job of keeping things under control, but I don't stress and start spraying at the first sign of a weed. (Except Creeping Charlie, that stuff will take over fast) Even dandelions, I used to just go out with a root tool I had and yank them, one by one. Mainly because I used to have good yard neighbors and only had to worry bout a couple a year.

That is until the jackass next door to me moved in. Not only was he against spraying of any kind, he also only mowed about once a month. So his yard was full of about 10 inch high dandelions, all spreading their love to the rest of the culdesac. As I said, I'm not a yard Nazi, if you don't want to spray for dandelions, fine, but at least keep them mowed so it doesn't look like you are growing a mini forest in your lawn.

This guy caused half the houses in our culdesac to hire services to come and spray to keep things manageable. I even told him that his approach to "A Clean Yard" actually worked against him as no one ever really sprayed or did much with their yards other than a little fertilizer here and there. He let things get so out of control, he now has a culdesac full of chemicals to try and prevent his mess turning into everyone's problem.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Was going to fert and seed my lawn a few days back but the rainy forecast and cooler temps made me hold off.

Going to finish dethatching/cultivating when it dries up and put 3-5 lb grass seed with 3-5 lb starter fert, lightly work it in and cover it up with some compost and water it daily.

Hope it works out, because my neighbor is a mid-70’s retired guy who apparently only cares about his lawn. He’s putting me to shame.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What have people had luck with for getting rid of creeping Charlie??
You're f*cked unless you do it right and stay on it. If you even half-ass or even 3 quarters-ass it, you won't beat it.