Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Total points regardless of how scored. So defensive and special teams TDs are the training wheels to prop up Brian’s bike. As are the numerous drives starting deep on the opponent’s side of the field after turnovers and blocked punts (which Brian has routinely failed to capitalize on over the years).
I can't wait for Kirk to sign off on going for two at the end of their last game when they are tied because Brian needs both points to make the criteria. Kirk then trying to spin it as it having nothing to do with Brian but instead it was what was best for the team to go for two instead of kicking the PAT. Or perhaps it is taking shots downfield up a field goal in the last minute when they should be kneeling on the ball to run out the clock.

• Haha
Reactions: Farnsworth

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I can't wait for Kirk to sign off on going for two at the end of their last game when they are tied because Brian needs both points to make the criteria. Kirk then trying to spin it as it having nothing to do with Brian but instead it was what was best for the team to go for two instead of kicking the PAT. Or perhaps it is taking shots downfield up a field goal in the last minute when they should be kneeling on the ball to run out the clock.
Yep. KF has said publicly how once he gets to a certain # of points and feels that the W is safe, he hits the brakes and goes conservative. It's going to be pretty noticeable if that longstanding policy changes this year, and his motivation behind it will obvious to everyone.

Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I hate Iowa and the Ferentz's as much as the next guy. But shouldn't they do this? I mean, if your job is dependent on scoring X number of points, shouldn't you try to score X number of points?

It's a stupid clause in a contract, but that's water under the bridge now.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I hate Iowa and the Ferentz's as much as the next guy. But shouldn't they do this? I mean, if your job is dependent on scoring X number of points, shouldn't you try to score X number of points?

It's a stupid clause in a contract, but that's water under the bridge now.
The problem is that the offense, regardless of who the OC has been, has always operated under KF's overarching strategy of conservatism, especially when the team has the lead. KF has said publicly that when Iowa has scored the number of points he thinks it will take to secure the win, he goes conservative and pumps the brakes with the offense. That number is typically in the mid-20s, which is why they put BF's threshold at 25 ppg (and that includes points from defense and special teams.) Let's say Iowa goes two or three games scoring just 15-17 points. That's going to hamper hitting the 25 ppg threshold for the season. So in the games that follow, if Iowa has hit 25 points and is in command, if KF then decides to put his foot on the gas and run the score up, it basically means he's going against his longstanding offensive philosophy and is only doing it to save his kid's job. Not going to be a great look.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The 25 point thing has to be null and void now, right? Would think it goes out the window with the bright mind who was behind it.

Watch the new AD come in and just straight up fire Brian now

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The 25 point thing has to be null and void now, right? Would think it goes out the window with the bright mind who was behind it.

Watch the new AD come in and just straight up fire Brian now
Naw, there’s still some deep rooted dysfunction in that AD. He’ll be fine.