Places to kayak

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We boat quite a bit, seeing a lot more of the "setup for fishing" kayaks out there now a days.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Here are a few of mine in Central Iowa that don’t appear to have been added. Most are rivers so would need two vehicles but are an easy day trip.

Raccoon River from Panora to Redfield.
Skunk River from Anderson access to Ames if enough water.
Des Moines River from Sycamore to Captain Roy’s
Beaver Creek in Johnston from 70th south is a fun paddle that is under the radar.
Boone River anything past Briggs Woods is good.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
We live in Michigan now... thinking of getting some kayaks... they are very cheap up here on marketplace and or craigslist... I have a 3 year old... anyone have a good model to look for with a small child (2 holer, she wont be going alone)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If comfortable with it being a bit more technical and less reliable water levels I give the Yellow and Volga the edge.
I guess it depends on if you prefer technicality and challenge over scenery.

The Yellow is definitely more challenging, as are places in the UP or northern WI. I think the sheer beauty of the Upper Iowa valley is unmatched.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess it depends on if you prefer technicality and challenge over scenery.

The Yellow is definitely more challenging, as are places in the UP or northern WI. I think the sheer beauty of the Upper Iowa valley is unmatched.

Yeah and my preferences are to be more deeply imbedded into forested areas.

It's not streams/rivers but paddling the sea caves of the great lakes and other shoreline sections is pretty great.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What’s the river in Wisconsin you can go down that turns into a massive bead and booby party?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What’s the river in Wisconsin you can go down that turns into a massive bead and booby party?

You may need to be more specific for location but The Apple River is probably what you're thinking of.

I think it actually has some very cool stretches away from the nonsense but I have no desire to do that much work to find the quiet.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

It's not streams/rivers but paddling the sea caves of the great lakes and other shoreline sections is pretty great.
Floating rivers is fun and has good scenery. But agreed on the shorelines and caves. Nothing else I have kayaked even remotely compares to some of the Lake Superior shorelines.

Apostle Islands and Tettegoutchie areas are the two I’ve done. Heading back up this weekend.

Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Yeah, I'm referring to being on rivers/streams. Out on the Great Lakes is a different animal altogether.

My preference is rugged scenery to deep forests. Deep forests have their own charms, but the last time I did the northern St Croix I came back thinking it was nothing but trees, slow water, and swarms of mosquitoes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We live in Michigan now... thinking of getting some kayaks... they are very cheap up here on marketplace and or craigslist... I have a 3 year old... anyone have a good model to look for with a small child (2 holer, she wont be going alone)

I don't see them on craigslist very often because they're generally very good boats but something like the Old Town Loon, or Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 or Aspire 105 might be a good fit. They have longer cockpits/seating areas so the little one could fit in front of the adult.

The consoles with the drink holders can be removed for more space.

Personally I've evolved to preferring a canoe which is even easier for space.

Pictured is a Loon 120.

Old Town Loon 120 Kayak - Black Cherry | REI Co-op

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Yeah, I'm referring to being on rivers/streams. Out on the Great Lakes is a different animal altogether.

My preference is rugged scenery to deep forests. Deep forests have their own charms, but the last time I did the northern St Croix I came back thinking it was nothing but trees, slow water, and swarms of mosquitoes.
Most of the shoreline stuff can be done with any kayak. I’ve got a 13 foot sit on top and I have zero issues going out on Superior on calm days. Just pay attention to the wind and wave forecast and all good.

Many think it require sea kayaks only so get spooked by it. But generally you are never more than 100 yards offshore. Completely worth the trip if you’ve never done it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You may need to be more specific for location but The Apple River is probably what you're thinking of.

I think it actually has some very cool stretches away from the nonsense but I have no desire to do that much work to find the quiet.
Lol, sure bud, we can all tell you typed that with a smirk on your face. We all know why men like that stretch.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I can see the St. Croix being very busy also with being so close to the cities.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Don't be a pud,...GO HARD!!!! Any hillside in Iowa.

Or a quieter excursion.

Honestly either of those items looks better than canoeing/kayaking almost all of the suggested Iowa waterways (30+ yrs ago maybe a different story, but definitely not now). MN/WI/MI are much preferred and the water quality is typically very good.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lol, sure bud, we can all tell you typed that with a smirk on your face. We all know why men like that stretch.

Nah, I went once in college. The group I was with was the group that decided to get into alcohol infused fights throughout the trip and there was a bunch of other similar crap.

The hilarity was that since we were floating down the river, the groups couldn't get away from each other so stuff kept sparking up.

Also side note this was a bunch of D3 football players and the highlight was when a guy from our group called out 'well let me go get our all-conference linebacker and see what he has to say' like anyone knew or cared. Cringe and entertaining all the same.