[The Athletic - Paywall] Why Iowa State is tweaking its identity this summer with more offensive options

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Article from The Athletic's Brian Hamilton from the men's basketball summer workouts. Focus is on ISU's focus on maintaining hardnosed defensive identity while building more capabilities on offense. Quite a few observations on the newcomers, with quotes from TJ and many of the players.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I hate wishing away summer, fall and football season but man I’m excited for this basketball season.
I think we’re in for a very exciting 4+ year run coming up.

I got a good chuckle out of this line haha

There’s the one-on-one period for guards and wings at one end of the floor Thursday, in which the offensive players are permitted only four dribbles while defenders evidently can do everything short of decapitating them.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This is a really good article.... worth the one dollar sign up. lol

My favorite line:

Iowa State, which made consecutive NCAA Tournaments on a diet of gravel and tree bark, might be able to make some shots. Iowa State might not have to survive the way it has had to survive. It’s a good thing, but also a challenge: changing who you are without changing who you are.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
This is a really good article.... worth the one dollar sign up. lol

My favorite line:

Iowa State, which made consecutive NCAA Tournaments on a diet of gravel and tree bark, might be able to make some shots. Iowa State might not have to survive the way it has had to survive. It’s a good thing, but also a challenge: changing who you are without changing who you are.
I feel like the last 2 years they have rested on offense. The goal on that end was to milk clock, not turn it over, get up a shot (maybe make it, maybe rebound it), and get back and play oppressive, high energy defense.

It’s gonna be hard to add effort on one end without losing some on the other. But a little more balance between the 2 would be great.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I feel like the last 2 years they have rested on offense. The goal on that end was to milk clock, not turn it over, get up a shot (maybe make it, maybe rebound it), and get back and play oppressive, high energy defense.

It’s gonna be hard to add effort on one end without losing some on the other. But a little more balance between the 2 would be great.
I hope that with a bit more depth this year, we can play more people and that way each person can rest a bit more

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I hope that with a bit more depth this year, we can play more people and that way each person can rest a bit more
I hope that too, but it’s easier to sub in fresh legs for D than O. You can mess with the flow on offense differently than on defense.

Time will tell. I’m super excited for the program trajectory. With just a slightly more efficient offense, it will make them such a tough team to beat.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And can't read it. Supposed to be linked to my NY Times acct but this article keeps popping up a subscription window after I read part of it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
For anyone who wants to read the article without the subscription on mobile chrome browser click on the link but don't scroll down. Click the options (three dots in the upper right corner) and then click the arrow pointing down with a line underneath it (download). This will download the page to your phone and you can read to your hearts content without the wall popping up when you scroll down. You can do this on a pc or iPhone too. Just download the page or print it to Adobe and you can read the articles.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

More substitutions.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I hate wishing away summer, fall and football season but man I’m excited for this basketball season.
I think we’re in for a very exciting 4+ year run coming up.

I got a good chuckle out of this line haha
That drill is a Greg McDermott staple. Kyle Green is just an absolute sponge with knowledge that he's learned from every guy he's worked for. He's the perfect assistant.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The first paragraph is good. Paywall blocked the rest. I'm not a sub of the Athletic, but I hear they do good work.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Really great article. I’m a subscriber and don’t recall the author. I’m curious to if he’ll follow ISU now?
He's written articles on ISU basketball for the Athletic before, but he's not following ISU full-time. He's been around college basketball media and does a lot of these program updates.

cyclonekrazie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2023
I think our offense lacked because we didn’t have multiple who could go get an automatic bucket. This year I think it’s going to be different in the fact that the opposition can’t just hon in on one guy (ex: Brockington), it’ll be more lucrative and fluid.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE