2024 Football Targets (Offer List in OP)

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
It's a very ho-hum class thus far. Still plenty of time left with updated evaluations from the different recruiting services, but the fact we have 12 kids committed and not a single one of them have a composite greater than .8689 is really concerning. Feels like there will be a lot of "who's that?" transfers in a couple years.
Yes, not very impressive so far and I don't think we have a shot at any 4 stars. This might be the lowest graded class of the CMC era. Honestly I think that Holt is the only commit that I am excited about. 5 of the 12 commits have a rating of under .8500. Zoinks!

Inglis, Van Zinter, Brezina and Batiste are kids that I don't see being anything but special teams contributors. I don't see p5 talent there. But I am not a coach or a recruiting expert so hopefully I am proven wrong.

• Dislike
Reactions: Aclone

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I dont think we should be worried at all about the ratings of guys this staff is locking up at this time in the recruiting cycle. These are not late adds, they are clearly guys they have high on their board and not "fall backs"

Agreed. On one hand, I don't find this class to be too exciting. On the other, if you go back through the past 5 years of recruits and look at who's actually become good/great players, there's more guys that were not hyped recruits than there are those that were. Breece is the only one that comes to mind that was highly touted from day 1 and ran with it.

Arguably our current best player - TJ Tampa - was a ho-hum WR recruit. Last years star recruit Hunter Deyo will be interesting to see if he ever lives up to it at Bowling Green (or somewhere else).

Clonelabdad

Jun 21, 2023
I dont think we should be worried at all about the ratings of guys this staff is locking up at this time in the recruiting cycle. These are not late adds, they are clearly guys they have high on their board and not "fall backs"
Yes and no. The ratings may change. Regarding where these guys were on the board, many are second and third tier targets. Look at who they were contacting In March and April. They were looking at the LBs in Iowa and Kansas and OL in Wisc. All those guys either committed elsewhere or ISU moved on since they decided they didn’t have a chance or didn’t want to try to compete against other P5 programs.
It seems the strategy now is to identify developmental targets with minimal P5 interest and get a quick commitment. You don’t have to worry about Nil, smaller chance of bigger programs stealing recruits and no one expects to play immediately.

• Creative
Reactions: Aclone

Clonelabdad

Jun 21, 2023
Agreed. On one hand, I don't find this class to be too exciting. On the other, if you go back through the past 5 years of recruits and look at who's actually become good/great players, there's more guys that were not hyped recruits than there are those that were. Breece is the only one that comes to mind that was highly touted from day 1 and ran with it.

Arguably our current best player - TJ Tampa - was a ho-hum WR recruit. Last years star recruit Hunter Deyo will be interesting to see if he ever lives up to it at Bowling Green (or somewhere else).
Tampa had a commit-able offer from Georgia as an athlete . Hardly a ho-hum recruit.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

I did the same thing. Based on 247 ratings, our best players often came from the middle of the class not the top of the ratings.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Tampa had a commit-able offer from Georgia as an athlete . Hardly a ho-hum recruit.
Will McDonald only had one P5 offer and that was Iowa State. Since CMC has been at Iowa State, the staff has never been afraid to offer someone with minimal P5 offers if they evaluate them as a P5 player. It does appear that they are spending less time on 4 and 5 star guys than when they first arrived. Unfortunately it is really hard to get those guys to come to Iowa State unless you have some kind of connection. Our talent under CMC is the best it has ever been at Iowa State. Most of that is because they have proven to be very good at evaluating talent.

Reactions: DrClone

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Ok we have 15 commits as of Saturday pm.
Where do we go from here, gives us a shot at 5 guys. Nice read there.
Mandel OL, Edwards WR, Shine CB, Jenkins edge, and Hunter who looks to be going to Utah. That would be 19 max, plus transfers. The first 4 guys would be super. Do we have 2-5 more holes to fill?

Clonelabdad

Jun 21, 2023
Mandel, Edwards and Shine are possible. Jenkins doesn’t sound likely now. Chenault may also still be an option at CB.
I see them waiting until December to figure out what they need and what transfers are available once they know what this group has done.

Reactions: c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ok we have 15 commits as of Saturday pm.
Where do we go from here, gives us a shot at 5 guys. Nice read there.
Mandel OL, Edwards WR, Shine CB, Jenkins edge, and Hunter who looks to be going to Utah. That would be 19 max, plus transfers. The first 4 guys would be super. Do we have 2-5 more holes to fill?
I was just thinking how the COVID year still impacts things, with the full class of seniors having the option for the “super senior” year.

That said, unless my math is off, this is will be the last “full” year, and after the ‘24 season only the players who redshirted in ‘20 will still have that option.

Of course, the portal will continue to throw things off in the opposite direction—but it’ll be harder to oversign incoming HS players.

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

4everClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Ames
I was just thinking how the COVID year still impacts things, with the full class of seniors having the option for the “super senior” year.

That said, unless my math is off, this is will be the last “full” year, and after the ‘24 season only the players who redshirted in ‘20 will still have that option.

Of course, the portal will continue to throw things off in the opposite direction—but it’ll be harder to oversign incoming HS players.
Wasn’t the fall of 2020 the Covid year that didn’t count. No one redshirted that year as it was a free year. Freshmen that year could have then redshirted in 2021 and would not use up eligibility until 2025.