Big 12 Rebrand thoughts.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Since Yormark stated there would be a rebrand of the conference when it expands to 16 teams it got me thinking. Would a rebrand include a new name? Ever since the Big12 became 10 teams and the Big10 became 14 teams I've hated the numbered conference names. I much more like the regional names. With 16 teams in 3-4 time zones in 10 states across multiple regions what would a good rebranded name be? I'm thinking something like the NAC National Athletic Conference. Or to mess with everyone just call it the NCAA National Conference of Awesome Athletics.

Anyone with some graphic expertise want to make up some logo ideas?

Last edited:

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I remember hearing the new additions for this year (BYU, Cincy, UH, UCF) were asked this question and they immediately shot it down. It carried prestige for their alumni to be a "Big 12" school, so they didn't want the name the conference to change names. Wonder if that sentiment has now changed with all the additional realignment.

Reactions: StLouisClone

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Apparently there was going to be a rename back when the AAC + BYU joined but the new schools voted against it. However I can’t say how substantiated that rumor is.

In the past I thought the Heartland conference would be cool but that is probably too geographical.

I don’t hate the national athletic conference since that is nebulous enough that it isn’t tied to a number or geography.

Before anyone says it. I looked at the US copyright and trademark database. I do not see the big 12 owning the trademark to the big 16. They do have big 14 but it has the status of abandoned/dead. So if they change the name. Idk if big 16 is a big contender.

Reactions: agentbear

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
JMO but it'd be stupid to lose the Big 12 name now, having nearly 30 years of brand equity built up and especially after coming out of the realignment fiasco as the big winner over the PAC.

A "brand" is much more than a logo, but I'm hoping all BY meant by "rebranding" is a logo refresh.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
JMO but it'd be stupid to lose the Big 12 name now, having nearly 30 years of brand equity built up and especially after coming out of the realignment fiasco as the big winner over the PAC.

A "brand" is much more than a logo, but I'm hoping all BY meant by "rebranding" is a logo refresh.

Even after all this time isn't the B1G still sort of known as the Big 10?

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Apparently there was going to be a rename back when the AAC + BYU joined but the new schools voted against it. However I can’t say how substantiated that rumor is.

In the past I thought the Heartland conference would be cool but that is probably too geographical.

I don’t hate the national athletic conference since that is nebulous enough that it isn’t tied to a number or geography.

Before anyone says it. I looked at the US copyright and trademark database. I do not see the big 12 owning the trademark to the big 16. They do have big 14 but it has the status of abandoned/dead. So if they change the name. Idk if big 16 is a big contender.
Good point about trademarks. I wonder if Big20 is already owned? If not the Big12 ought to get that. I believe that will be the next big move in realignment 3 conferences at 20 teams.

Reactions: agentbear

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I feel like brand equity is hard to build and at least initially any new name will sound like one of those conferences that doesn't matter. I'm certainly not against them TMing a few names just in case.

Reactions: BCClone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I would use the opportunity for a rebrand. Choose a name with cache and one that doesn't have a number in it (so if the conference grows or contracts it doesn't look so stupid).

Don't get the obsession with the "Big" names. Get away from it and the geography, since neither have much significance or relevance anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: StLouisClone

wing59

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2017

From what I’ve heard is that the “rebrand” is just making the current logo black and white. A way to show moving away from Oklahoma and Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: aauummm

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
No way does it fly, nor am I even suggesting or wanting..... But Yormark has many times referenced taking the conference globally so Spanish for 16 is: Dieciseis. Call me crazy but that would be 1 intimidating conference name. o_O:cool:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You have to wonder if the original namers of these conferences foresaw the idea that perhaps the numbers of members would change. The Big Ten hasn't had 10 teams since 1992, Big 12 hasn't had 12 since...2010?

It's like a guy I knew who was basically a scout team player on a D3 team and got a tat of his jersey number from that season, which changed every year after.

• Haha
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
All of the new names suggested thus far sound like G5 conference names, I hope the rebrand doesn't involve a name change. The Big 12 brand still means power conference for the time being.
The logo also looks good imo. I'm not sure what else I would change, they've already refreshed all the social media accounts with fresher looking stuff.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Nationwide Conference.

Maybe get a couple extra billion insurance bucks out of the deal