Credit Cards

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My wife and I are pretty new to the credit card world. We really only carry and use debit cards.

Is there a decent site that will compare rates and perks across a bunch of different cards? What is a normal interest rate on CCs these days?

Reactions: Angie

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
If you're responsible, this is a good move for you.

Nerdwallet is a good starting point. A lot of the rewards depend on what you're targeting, whether it is cash back or travel rewards.

Ideally, the interest rate never matters to you as well.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
If you're responsible, this is a good move for you.

Nerdwallet is a good starting point. A lot of the rewards depend on what you're targeting, whether it is cash back or travel rewards.

Ideally, the interest rate never matters to you as well.

Personally, I’m not, but my wife keeps me in check. I got into trouble with them during college and haven’t really carried one since other than for my employers.

Reactions: Vivid3

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Doctor of Credit
The Points Guy (lots of referral links, etc but still some good info)

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Like others have said, responsible credit card management means paying off the balance every month so you never pay outrageous interest on it.

Also, I avoid cards with annual fees. Although there are some that can be worth it to you.

One of my requirements is no annual fees which is why a comparison chart or whatever would be nice. I’m not even sure we’d use it but want one for a backup and maybe incorporating into paying some bills.

Part of my issue is my limited travel for work. I carry a Veridian card but if I have an issue, I’m kinda ******. I carry a few hundred in cash as a backup but got like 250 stolen out of my truck a few weeks back.

• Sad
Reactions: khardbored

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nerdwallet. Always pay off the monthly balance. Just use the CC for the rewards.
This. You can use your CC for as many monthly bills/payments as you're comfortable with, just make sure you pay it off, but that way you're getting travel points. My wife went to Europe with her sister last summer and essentially flew for free because of mileage/points.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
It's also not a decision that needs to be overthought. It's good to have one for emergencies if nothing else, but there's nothing wrong with something as simple as a cash back Citi or Discover card with no annual fee. Some people nerd out on maximizing rewards, but I've always been fine with cash back.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It's also not a decision that needs to be overthought. It's good to have one for emergencies if nothing else, but there's nothing wrong with something as simple as a cash back Citi or Discover card with no annual fee. Some people nerd out on maximizing rewards, but I've always been fine with cash back.

I went on Nerdwallet and got tired of looking. I ended up with a Savor One card.

Its got 3% on groceries (huge plus because there are 5 of us and our grocery bill is outrageous). Also 3% on stuff like dining, streaming services and entertainment. Then 1% on everything else. We'll see how it goes. I went cash back instead of travel because we don't really travel at all.

Anyone used Capital One's travel (5% back) or entertainment (8% back) services?

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I use the Capital One Venture X.

The $395 fee looks steep, but the annual anniversary bonuses offset that if you book on their site. Then the cash back rewards further offset it. I probably gain $1,000 in travel credits in a year using it and paying it off each month.

Last edited:
Reactions: khardbored

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Citi Double Cash is a great all-around card (2% cash back) if you just want one for cash back and don't want to keep multiple credit cards with rotating categories. I use it for my main card. I have a Chase Freedom for rotating 5% cash back categories.

We do this primarily. Spouse has a discover since college and then we do target and amazon cards. But that citi is our workhorse.

Reactions: cstrunk