FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
One more thing

Did anyone notice the scalpers, selling........PAPER TICKETS.....to an event that was supposed to not allow paper tickets?

I did, so why can those scalpers sell those, but no one else can get/use them?

Were they legitimate tickets or were they trying to scam people who didn't know tickets are digital only?

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Sent this morning…

Dear Cyclone Fans:

Thank you for cheering on the Cyclones to a season-opening win over UNI yesterday! Your support of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is greatly appreciated, and helps create a tremendous home field advantage.

Our goal is to provide you with an outstanding game-day experience every time that you enter Jack Trice Stadium. Unfortunately, we did not live up to that standard yesterday.

After successfully piloting 20 turnstile scanners at Gate 2 a year ago, the decision was made to expand their use this season to Gates 1 and 3. Unfortunately, the combination of many fans arriving closer to kickoff, our staff’s inability to help fans understand the technology, and the excessive heat, came together to create a perfect storm of poor customer service.

Please accept my apology for the inconveniences we caused for many of you yesterday. We do appreciate your understanding and patience as we work through improvements for this week’s game.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard

Director of Athletics
Iowa State University
Nothing like ”you vill our system whether you like it or not” customer service.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
One more thing

Did anyone notice the scalpers, selling........PAPER TICKETS.....to an event that was supposed to not allow paper tickets?

My throw something at the wall and see if it sticks guess is they contacted the ticket office claiming they didn't have the necessary means for digital tickets.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
And was it an outdoor concert with 90+ degree temperatures and, for the most part, attended by 60,000 people who entered through three gates? It was? Wonderful, you had one awesome experience.
My buddy went to Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks a week ago at Arrowhead and didn't have any issues. That stadium holds well over 80,000 and the heat index down there was over 115 last weekend.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This comment reminds me of watching the game on TV right after the second interception, I think, when ISU was getting ready to try the field goal. The SEZ was pretty much empty, and my wife said “look at all the people who left already.” I explained to her that they’d just headed inside early to cool off a little at halftime.
Well the also said there would be large cooling fans on the concourses.

I never saw any, but I assumed they would be the swamp cooler variety to at least get a cooler breeze/mist effect.

None to be found that I saw, but my daughter said she saw ONE, and it was just a big industrial fan, blowing around the hot air. Not a cooling fan.

No awnings to help anywhere, like gates and lines. The water fill lines were huge, and very few. My daughter said the one on their side was out of water early on so could not fill there etc.

It really seemed like poor planning, even with the things they said they were going to do, either didnt work or was implemented poorly.

But make sure you only bring in ONE water bottle per person...god forbid you dare bring in 2.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
We went in about 30 minutes before kickoff. Almost no line. Maybe it’s a matter of people just planning to give it a little extra time?
I mean how early do you think people should have to line up to make sure they get in their seats before kickoff?. You should be able to walk up a half hour before kickoff and be able to see the start of the game. Never ever ever has been a problem before yesterday.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Well the also said there would be large cooling fans on the concourses.

I never saw any, but I assumed they would be the swamp cooler variety to at least get a cooler breeze/mist effect.

None to be found that I saw, but my daughter said she saw ONE, and it was just a big industrial fan, blowing around the hot air. Not a cooling fan.

No awnings to help anywhere, like gates and lines. The water fill lines were huge, and very few. My daughter said the one on their side was out of water early on so could not fill there etc.

It really seemed like poor planning, even with the things they said they were going to do, either didnt work or was implemented poorly.

But make sure you only bring in ONE water bottle per person...god forbid you dare bring in 2.
Oh, yeah, I saw the “HYDRATE!” message ISU sent out last week. They said they’d have one - ONE - fan set up on each side of the stadium, they’d be handing out 6,000 bottles of water (with ten times that number of people coming) , and you were allowed to bring in one bottle yourself. I knew then they weren’t really prepared for this.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My buddy went to Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks a week ago at Arrowhead and didn't have any issues. That stadium holds well over 80,000 and the heat index down there was over 115 last weekend.
Arrowhead does a lot of things better than ISU does for events. But I was commenting on your experience.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
One more thing

Scalper said that if an alumni played football at Iowa State they could get hard tickets..If that is true wtf?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My throw something at the wall and see if it sticks guess is they contacted the ticket office claiming they didn't have the necessary means for digital tickets.
Pretty sure they were digital-ready street buyers/sellers during Big 12 tournament:)

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I mean how early do you think people should have to line up to make sure they get in their seats before kickoff?. You should be able to walk up a half hour before kickoff and be able to see the start of the game. Never ever ever has been a problem before yesterday.
Key word is "should". You take matters out of your own hands if you decide to play it that close to kickoff imo.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
My group somehow got lucky. We got to the south gate right around 12:40. (I remember being able to hear the PA announcing the band) We were coming from the public lots, and I steered our group to the west part of the gate because everyone was stopping as soon as they got to the gate. We got to our seats in section 17 before the team came out.

My questions/comments

1) What entity steered the AD to switch to this? Ticketmaster? The AD itself? A combination of both?
2) I hope these scanners get tested for the other weather we experience...very cold and possibly wet.
3) From all these stories, I think the AD's biggest mistake was not having a back-up plan if this failed miserably, which it obviously did. It blows my mind with all the stories and anecdotes I've heard of there being some type of upgrade when it comes to technology, and no one asks "Yes, and what happens if it doesn't work? What's the back-up game plan?"

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One more thing

you can get paper tickets. They don't want you to and will probably give you grief. But there are people without smart phones that got paper tickets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron