FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
And do what? Sit on hot bleacher in the sun with no shade? Stand in the concourse in the shade with thousands of other people sharing body heat?
There's no doubt the ticket process didn't work so well, but it's not like you weren't warned. If you really want to sit out in the parking lot and tailgate as long as possible before entering a stadium that 60,000 other fans are also entering, I guess that's the risk you take. It's all about priorities.

SleepyEyeCy

Aug 5, 2023
Dude if you want to cancel your tickets because you're too lazy to learn how to push a couple buttons on your phone more power to you. Personally if I was going to cancel my season tickets I'd at least trash the coaches or the prices or something instead of using 'I'm too old to figure out how to push the right buttons on my phone."
I don't trash our coaches or our players. It is a customer service issue. I have cancelled service with a number of companies for poor customer service through the years. I know people who complain every day about self checkout (personally I prefer self checkout). If you ever run a business I suggest a good starting point is not to alienate your customer base. It is far easier and cost effective to retain a current customer than it is to find a new one.

By the way I made it to my seats yesterday with no issues and with plenty of time prior to kick. I still don't plan to renew next year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

SleepyEyeCy

Aug 5, 2023
Just an FYI, there were people using legitimate paper tickets yesterday. I don’t know about the scalpers’ tickets specifically, but my wife received two paper tickets from her work, and they scanned just fine. I’m sure if anyone really wants paper tickets for next game that they would be able to contact the ticket office and get that lined up.
The ticket office told me they would mail paper tickets to me. I said I would try this new system first. We didn't have any issues and we're able to walk right in.

Reactions: NWICY and bsaltyman

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
IMO they underplayed somewhat how different this would be. The initial messaging was all about how you can't screenshot tickets anymore, and since I never did that and have never had problems using the wallet, I mostly ignored all that. It wasn't until later that I saw something about kiosks and NFC and realized I needed to learn more.

So if you were a person who screenshotted before, you had to learn how to use your wallet, AND had to learn NFC, AND had to figure out how to navigate the kiosks. That's a lot, and they could have done more to prepare people. I found the FAQ to be a little inadequate.
THIS......
I've always used google wallet so wasn't expecting any issues but I guess my bad for not reading everything closely?
They did put out a video sent via email about this but I'm not sure why my google wallet wasn't able to tap? Did I have something wrong or was it a system issue? I ended up having to scan which I fumbled around to get it ready. Multiply that time 20,000 or so and you have gridlock.
For this week, they should focus on how to use the tap and go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That was a CLASSIC Jamie Pollard email. Owned it (mostly), but also took the opportunity to be a little condescending while at it.
My interpretation:

"Sorry you fans were too stupid to understand our explanation on how to use your phone and you weren't responsible enough to be in your seats an hour before kickoff. I guess we'll try harder to accommodate your ignorance and tardiness in the future."

Passive aggressive to the max. I love JP, but he he says this kind of crap too often.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
There's no doubt the ticket process didn't work so well, but it's not like you weren't warned. If you really want to sit out in the parking lot and tailgate as long as possible before entering a stadium that 60,000 other fans are also entering, I guess that's the risk you take. It's all about priorities.

We were warned that their kiosks wouldn't work and nobody would know how to solve it, leaving thousands of fans standing outside the stadium in lines that didn't move for a half hour or more?

Guess I missed that memo.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I hate Tickemaster as much as anyone but their new system was flawless for the Pearl Jam show I attended in St. Paul the other night.

It completely cut out any fraud, scalping, and they even upgraded me to better seats the day of the show all through the app.
Good for you.

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just let us go back to having the option of printing off our tickets and use a paper copy to scan into the game. We have a lot of older fans that struggle mightily with scanning in on their phones. If you want to use the google wallet, do it that way, if you want to print them off, do it that way. There is nothing wrong with making it easier for the people to get into the game.

We entered from the South endzone entrance, must have been around 12:10 and had no line, got our tickets scanned within a minute and was inside the stadium.

I figured the cashless system would drag things out also, but the couple of times I went to get a soda to mix with my rum, it worked out quick and easy.

That is the thing, I don't want to go into a stadium an hour early and sit out in the sun for 5 hrs because ISU can't figure out how to get people through a line in a rational amount of time.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Makes a lot of sense to me, unless there's some reason it can't be done. Think of all the time that would save. If you've got adult tickets plus Jr. Cyclone Club tickets, here is your swipe progression:

1. Scan the first ticket (hopefully you had that ready to go when you step up to the kiosk)
2. Swipe to the second ticket and scan it
3. Swipe out of that set of tickets, back to the wallet, tap into the second set of tickets
4. Scan the first of your second set of tickets
5. Swipe to the second ticket and scan it

A single ticket could save someone in that situation anywhere from what, 5 to 20 seconds? in line, depending on a given user's speed. Now multiply that by thousands of people.
Iowa Girls High School Athletic Association does it for all state basketball games…even the regionals.

I’m sure Ticketmaster can do it.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
We were warned that their kiosks wouldn't work and nobody would know how to solve it, leaving thousands of fans standing outside the stadium in lines that didn't move for a half hour or more?

Guess I missed that memo.
No, you were warned that this is a new process for everyone so it would be wise to enter the stadium earlier than usual. But so many fans paid little attention to this warning and chose to tailgate right up to their normal departure time.

Like I said, it's all about priorities.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
The thing I don’t understand is why they went away from hand held scanners. Since there is a person at each reader, there is no personnel savings. The turnstiles are a pain in the a**. While in line I watched the girl reset the turnstile multiple times. We always go in as a group with all tickets on one phone. Flipping through them for the handhelds is quick and easy. Scanning at the turnstiles is slower. I don’t see the new scanners as an improvement, if they don’t work quickly and smoothly with limited human intervention.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
No, you were warned that this is a new process for everyone so it would be wise to enter the stadium earlier than usual. But so many fans paid little attention to this warning and chose to tailgate right up to their normal departure time.

Like I said, it's all about priorities.
How do 60,000 people all enter early without issues?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
This isn't the only thing that is messed up. My scan worked fine at the gate after waiting 30 minutes, but failed entering the end zone club. The lady eventually just let me in.

The other thing is they changed the concessions setup in the SEZ. No more cans of beer at side stands that led to longer lines at the bars and other carts. Pollard is hell bent on not letting people drink in the stadium.

The one good thing was the water stations on the concourse.

• Informative

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
That is the thing, I don't want to go into a stadium an hour early and sit out in the sun for 5 hrs because ISU can't figure out how to get people through a line in a rational amount of time.
Then you can squeeze in an extra hour of tailgating and risk missing the kickoff. Life is all about choices.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This isn't the only thing that is messed up. My scan worked fine at the gate after waiting 30 minutes, but failed entering the end zone club. The lady eventually just let me in.

The other thing is they changed the concessions setup in the SEZ. No more cans of beer at side stands that led to longer lines at the bars and other carts. Pollard is hell bent on not letting people drink in the stadium.

The one good thing was the water stations on the concourse.
We didn’t like this year’s beer selection there either. As I stood in line to enter the stadium. I mentally told myself it will be better once in the SEZ and I can order a Blue Moon. Silly me.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Then you can squeeze in an extra hour of tailgating and risk missing the kickoff. Life is all about choices.
It wouldn’t be an extra hour. It would be our normal tailgating time. Math.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It was a total failure by all those involved. Fans are partly responsible for thinking they could leave their tailgate at 12:30 or later and be in their seat by kickoff. I always entered games about an hour and a half before kick.

But mostly this falls on JP I'm afraid. Most of us on here knew this was going to be a s**t show a week before gameday. JP falsely thought it would be fine.