Wedding in Iowa on Cy-Hawk Day. Who does that?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Simple - you say you're going and keep talking about how excited you are for it. You then wake up with the stomach flu and can't make it. Game. Set. Match.
Just don't show up on TV if you go to the game. A miraculous recovery.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
My theory is real simple on this. You are absolutely entitled to have your wedding whenever you please. But if you schedule it on a college football Saturday, you are not entitled to be upset if people either don't come or if their attention is at times elsewhere.
Maybe it’s because I like weddings (and my experience with weddings is mostly cousins I’m close to/good friends) but I almost feel the opposite. It’s one of their biggest days vs. a football game. If I choose the football game over the wedding, the bride and groom are absolutely entitled to be disappointed/upset.

That doesn’t mean I always choose the wedding (although in my case it is mostly a travel thing), but I’m not going to act like the bride and groom shouldn’t be upset about it/should have chosen a different day

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sister and BIL wed on this “unofficial state of Iowa holiday”! An usher kept updating some individuals in church throughout the ceremony!
My brother was in a buddy's wedding years ago (late '70s-early '80s) on this weekend. One usher wore a hawk hat and carried a transistor radio with an ear piece listening to the game. When Iowa was ahead he wore it frontward and when ISU was ahead he put it on backward. The entire wedding party were stealing peeks at the usher and most of the congregation were looking back at him as well.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Well apparently my cousin does. :mccaffery:

The ceremony will go over the start and the reception will probably start during half time.

Do I put the game on my phone during the ceremony?

Bride and Groom are both Hawk fans, how do I make sure they never live this down the rest of their lives?

What's a good "excuse" I could use to get out of this until the game is over? :jimlad:... unless?
Love the red faced screaming Fran.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I've been to a cyhawk wedding before. Actually was kind of fun as everyone was gathered around a TV, drinking and talking ****

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're young and single and would prefer to watch a football game rather than attend a young peoples wedding party? Damn, I used to LOVE wedding parties when I was young. Booze, pretty girls, more booze, music.

Love isn't real man, you know this by now...

But you're right it's two fold. I haven't seen majority of my family in some years and also she has a large contingent of friends that are single. But I'll be watching the TV until game is over

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been to a cyhawk wedding before. Actually was kind of fun as everyone was gathered around a TV, drinking and talking ****

Depends, if it's early in the day when everybody is getting ready for an afternoon wedding it can be great. Everybody needs something to do instead of just standing around worrying about details. Same might be true if it starts a couple hours after the reception has already been going.

If it's right during the ceremony and beginning of dinner/recpetion it's not ideal.

Frog

May 6, 2021
Maybe it’s because I like weddings (and my experience with weddings is mostly cousins I’m close to/good friends) but I almost feel the opposite. It’s one of their biggest days vs. a football game. If I choose the football game over the wedding, the bride and groom are absolutely entitled to be disappointed/upset.

That doesn’t mean I always choose the wedding (although in my case it is mostly a travel thing), but I’m not going to act like the bride and groom shouldn’t be upset about it/should have chosen a different day
Agree...The wedding party shouldn't be upset unless a guest didn't RSVP a no, but certainly should be disappointed certain people don't show.

Last edited:

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

And still like half of marriages end in divorce, so keep that in mind also.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I’m not sure that’s accurate anymore (and I think it’s also skewed by people divorced multiple times).

Plus, how many games are going to end in losses?

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Agree...The wedding party shouldn't be upset unless a guest didn't RSVP a no, but certainly should be disappointed certain people don't show.
And depending on the guest I think it would be fair to be upset. If a close friend/family member of mine chose a football game over my wedding I would be upset

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I can honestly say I've never outright skipped a wedding because of a football game. But I remember a few years ago being at one during an Iowa State game and having about a dozen of us huddled around a phone at the reception, which I'd imagine the bride probably didn't love.

I can also remember the 2017 Oklahoma game having to be at a wedding later that day. I had the game on, not having any real faith it would run up against the wedding. I recall watching the end, throwing on a shirt and tie without showering and being way more drunk than I should have been at the actual ceremony.

Reactions: MeanDean and NWICY

Frog

May 6, 2021
Well apparently my cousin does. :mccaffery:

The ceremony will go over the start and the reception will probably start during half time.

Do I put the game on my phone during the ceremony?

Bride and Groom are both Hawk fans, how do I make sure they never live this down the rest of their lives?

What's a good "excuse" I could use to get out of this until the game is over? :jimlad:... unless?
With all our great stranger advice so far, have you made a decision? Are you going or not? Clock is ticking. LOL. :D

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I’m not sure that’s accurate anymore (and I think it’s also skewed by people divorced multiple times).

Plus, how many games are going to end in losses?
Not always about the wins and losses. It's about everything that goes along with it. Only one team wins the natty, but we all set out secretly hoping for the perfect storm.

I have lots of cousins (probably 40ish) and I would bet if I did a census, more have been divorced than not.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Fd1VsfsXgAAI4rF
I would add march too or at least make sure the wedding isn't on the first weekend of march madness.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I got married on CyHawk day.

No one cared. It wasn't even a consideration because it was 1994 and middle of the streak. Neither family was that big into it either. We did have it on at the reception, small TV in corner. I didn't really even watch.

Happily divorced now.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Anybody else ever use this decision rule in deciding what gift to get newlyweds? You ascertain in your mind whether you believe the marriage will last or not, and purchase a level of gift based on that?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron