DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I’ve seen the majority of Marvel and DC movies…The Flash might be the worst super hero movie I’ve seen.

Wowsers. Haven't heard that one yet, but you are making me worried. Hopefully I am not in that camp after Tuesday. It's Cinemascore just came out and is not particularly great.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I’ve seen the majority of Marvel and DC movies…The Flash might be the worst super hero movie I’ve seen.
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it well enough. Not as good as the first "Wonder Woman" or most of the MCU movies (and in the interest of full disclosure I am definitely more of an MCU guy), but it's definitely better than "Justice League" and a damn sight better than "Wonder Woman: 1984" which is IMO the absolute worst super hero movie I've ever seen and is up there for worst movies period.

That being written (and I don't think this is a spoiler or a secret), the CGI is God awful, and in its awfulness it does detract from the movie. I don't know how they let the poor quality of that pass final approval.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it well enough. Not as good as the first "Wonder Woman" or most of the MCU movies (and in the interest of full disclosure I am definitely more of an MCU guy), but it's definitely better than "Justice League" and a damn sight better than "Wonder Woman: 1984" which is IMO the absolute worst super hero movie I've ever seen and is up there for worst movies period.

That being written (and I don't think this is a spoiler or a secret), the CGI is God awful, and in its awfulness it does detract from the movie. I don't know how they let the poor quality of that pass final approval.

I listened to the ringer verse pod about this movie and usually Charles is a hater and Jomi and Steve find some good things to stay about the movie.

Most of them hated this movie.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I listened to the ringer verse pod about this movie and usually Charles is a hater and Jomi and Steve find some good things to stay about the movie.

Most of them hated this movie.
I enjoy listening to those guys as well; I don't always agree with them, but they are fun to listen to.

Ezra Miller is an absolute trainwreck to say the least, but I really did enjoy their acting performance in this movie.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Looks like the critics score is meh but the audience score is pretty good so I will probably enjoy it but it won't be a top tier superhero movie

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Flash was big, loud, probably a hair too long. CGI was a mess, especially Flash's suit. I did enjoy a slightly different take on Flashpoint Paradox, but the story would have landed better had we gotten to know the Flash a bit more before this movie. Miller did a pretty good job playing two different versions of the character. Good to see Keaton's Batman be a little more of a badass.

I wouldn't call this the worst DCEU movie I've seen, but like most of them, I have virtually zero desire to ever re-watch it.

• Informative

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Flash was entertaining. A decent story adapting Flashpoint, but the CGI was all over the place. You could also tell it was a bit "patch work" in certain scenes. I did enjoy the cameos in the ending sequence.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Looks like its official. Honestly, just by looks alone, I think they look great in their respective roles. However, I'll be the first to admit that I've never seen either of them in anything (that I know of), so I really can't have much of an opinion. Of the finalists, my biggest opinion was I didn't want Nicholas Hoult in the role, as I've never seen him as either Batman or Superman (was finalists for both). He was a great Beast in X-Men. Regardless, I think we can all admit this casting and its subsequent movie is going to be somewhat make or break for Gunn's new DC moving forward, especially with audiences clearly becoming pretty apathetic to DC movies. He REALLY needs to come out of the gates strong with this one, and it won't be easy to please everyone with this one.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Looks like its official. Honestly, just by looks alone, I think they look great in their respective roles. However, I'll be the first to admit that I've never seen either of them in anything (that I know of), so I really can't have much of an opinion. Of the finalists, my biggest opinion was I didn't want Nicholas Hoult in the role, as I've never seen him as either Batman or Superman (was finalists for both). He was a great Beast in X-Men. Regardless, I think we can all admit this casting and its subsequent movie is going to be somewhat make or break for Gunn's new DC moving forward, especially with audiences clearly becoming pretty apathetic to DC movies. He REALLY needs to come out of the gates strong with this one, and it won't be easy to please everyone with this one.

I love Hoult, he is definitely one of my favorite actors, but he's not Superman. I wanted to see him play James Bond but that looks like it went to a different guy too.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I love Hoult, he is definitely one of my favorite actors, but he's not Superman. I wanted to see him play James Bond but that looks like it went to a different guy too.
Yeah, I like Hoult, but just don't see him in a lot of these roles. Sorry, I don't see him as James Bond either. Loved him in The Menu. Give me roles like that for him. For James Bond, give me Henry Golding or Richard Madden.

Last edited:

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Don't know about the new SM, but loved Marvelous Ms. Maisel, so Brosnahan I'm looking forward to seeing.

• Informative

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I saw Blue Beetle last night and thought I'd at least throw my thoughts in here. First off, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie since I didn't really like the trailers. They just seemed too silly with too many neon lights and CG action for my liking, and the movie ended up being exactly what I expected. It was in fact super silly, was over-the-top bright with colors and was loaded with way too much nonsense no-stakes action. Outside of the Hispanic element, the story was super pain-by-numbers with a super cliché mustache-twirling villain.

With all that said, I'm actually surprised how high both the critics and audience Rotten Tomatoes score is for this movie. However, I then see its lower Cinemascore and that makes a lot more sense to me. I also heard a breakdown of the audience in a article and it sounds like this movie is scoring massively high for Hispanic audiences and much lower for the rest of the audience, which I'm not shocked by after seeing the movie. I'm glad at least the Hispanic audience is enjoying the film.

Moving forward, I really really hope James Gunn doesn't bring this character forward into his new DCU like he somewhat vaguely says he is going to do. If I remember correctly, he said that Blue Beetle will be the first DCU character, but Superman Legacy will be the first DCU movie. At this point, DC just needs a clean reset, so I hope James Gunn rethinks his thoughts on bringing back some of these DCEU characters, not just Blue Beetle.

On a side note, my 6 year old daughter was also so-so on the film but my nine-year-old daughter really liked it for what that is worth

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
For the record I forgot to circle back. I actually saw the Flash and if I'm being honest I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people said. I mean it wasn't good. I'm absolutely over any multiverse/time travel stuff. But I watched the whole movie and honestly kind of enjoyed some of the jokes and had a good time. Maybe my expectations were lowered enough that I wasn't completely bothered by some stuff (although I found some of their attempts to appeal to my nostalgia honestly offensive, #1 candidate being CGI Christopher Reeve) and I just sort of sat there and watched an okay movie. Not everything is going to be a banger.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
For the record I forgot to circle back. I actually saw the Flash and if I'm being honest I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people said. I mean it wasn't good. I'm absolutely over any multiverse/time travel stuff. But I watched the whole movie and honestly kind of enjoyed some of the jokes and had a good time. Maybe my expectations were lowered enough that I wasn't completely bothered by some stuff (although I found some of their attempts to appeal to my nostalgia honestly offensive, #1 candidate being CGI Christopher Reeve) and I just sort of sat there and watched an okay movie. Not everything is going to be a banger.

Haven't seen Blue Beetle, but I thought Flash was pretty good. Of course, some of that was nostalgia. I loved the Michael Keaton Batman.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Wowsers. Someone dug up some old James Gunn Facebook posts that I bet he wishes he deleted. I don't care what anybody says, I find nearly everything he says as a bad take. In fact, I am not sure I could disagree harder with the majority of it, even to the point where I am slightly questioning his DC vision moving forward. I guess we will see. Regardless, not great PR right now.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gorm

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Wowsers. Someone dug up some old James Gunn Facebook posts that I bet he wishes he deleted. I don't care what anybody says, I find nearly everything he says as a bad take. In fact, I am not sure I could disagree harder with the majority of it, even to the point where I am slightly questioning his DC vision moving forward. I guess we will see. Regardless, not great PR right now.

I rewatched all Batman movies and came to conclusion that the original 1989 movie is not good (although I don’t agree with all of his critiques I have my own). The music is incredible and some casting is good but it’s just a really bad action movie compared to say the best 50 80s action movies that came before it.

When I was a kid I remember thinking Batman Returns was worse and a disappointment but now I see it as the best of those original four Batman movies by a mile. Not only is it better as a Batman movie, it also feels like an actual good Tim Burton movie. Michelle Pfifer (sp?) might have greatest actress performance in any comic book movie as an over the top cool sexy villain and alter ego.

Before rewatching them my kid/teen memory would have ranked them:
9, 5, 7, 3

After watching again as an adult I’d go:
5, 8, 4, 3

I’ve been watching or rewatching all the DC stuff slowly. I hated and still hate Superman Returns so bad that I never even watched Man of Steel. That’s been the biggest surprise, it’s very easily a top ten comic book movie and I’m generally not a Superman fan. The Snyder cut of justice league is a nerd’s dream and that movie in general is the biggest victim of marvel fanoboyism. Green Lantern really is absolute total crap though haha.

Help Support Us

Become a patron