Campbells Ohio game exit video

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Or he could crash and burn and be a head case for a year or two. I think Rocco is pretty good. Need to put him in position to make plays.

And that’s fine, too. There’s a chance that doing a million inside shotgun handoffs makes Rocco crash and burn and become a head case too. Rocco is fine, he’s probably going to end up as a casualty of this coaching staff at some point this season though. If we all can agree on one thing in football it’s that a QB change for a sputtering offense is the most common tactic used to “shake up” an offense even though most of the time it’s not their fault.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lol… a couple 10 win seasons??? We haven’t had a single one ever. One could say the 2020 season likely would had been a 10 win season had they played a full schedule.

Let me know what coach you think Iowa State could attract to attain a “couple” 10 win seasons in 8 years.

I'm not sure if this is possible but I do lean on the side of things that ISU hasn't been terribly well coached despite the overall success and there are lots of teams out there that look more organized. If ISU is more sound in several instances they probably gain a a win or two in about every season. Their big wins over the years were when they were sound.

I recall watching a random Toledo game in 2015 as I think CMC's name had started getting out there as it looked like CPR was all but done and they were pretty sloppy too along with this that stuck out.

This nullified a huge offensive play in the game and was beyond dirty. Obviously CMC isn't going to condone this kind of thing and he can't be everywhere, but you have to wonder why a player didn't have the sense of boundaries to not do it.

There have been some instances at ISU under CMC that aren't as bad but imo look like **lacking discipline that could possibly be a sign of how the team operates in specific situations in the actual game.

**not gambling.

Reactions: exCYtable

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
If Campbell has been pouring ridiculous amounts of time and effort into this football team, then it is on him, not them.

His recruiting and gameplan is what resulted in 7 points. Against a MAC team.

ISU's offense is boring, predictable, and repetitive.

Can't put that on player effort.
Im not saying its not on him. Even he said that this is on him. What i am saying is that I do believe in this scenario I would be pretty volatile as well.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
And that’s fine, too. There’s a chance that doing a million inside shotgun handoffs makes Rocco crash and burn and become a head case too. Rocco is fine, he’s probably going to end up as a casualty of this coaching staff at some point this season though. If we all can agree on one thing in football it’s that a QB change for a sputtering offense is the most common tactic used to “shake up” an offense even though most of the time it’s not their fault.
I just think its irrational in our position. We need to be growing slowly but surely. Yanking a QB when there's adversity just shows them that they have to be perfect and makes them play tighter. Plus Rocco isn't being given the same leniency as Kohl would for mistakes. It's not fair to Rocco in any way. He isn't why we have been losing. The coaches know it, it's why he's still in there. As bad as we played yesterday make the ******* kicks and we likely won.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I just think its irrational in our position. We need to be growing slowly but surely. Yanking a QB when there's adversity just shows them that they have to be perfect and makes them play tighter. Plus Rocco isn't being given the same leniency as Kohl would for mistakes. It's not fair to Rocco in any way. He isn't why we have been losing. The coaches know it, it's why he's still in there. As bad as we played yesterday make the ******* kicks and we likely won.
Rocco is fine. If we could get him to keep the zone read 2 times a game, it would help, but not as much as letting him zip it downfield a few times right away.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I can promise you things have been a hell of a lot worse.
They have been worse, although this is the worst single game loss since Drake in 1985 in my opinion. The program is not at that level that it was then, which might actually make this loss worse than Drake.

This was a horrific performance by everyone involved. There is no way to sugar coat it. Either it takes everything down with it or it's a blip. Time will tell.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Rocco is fine. If we could get him to keep the zone read 2 times a game, it would help, but not as much as letting him zip it downfield a few times right away.
Problem I have with Rocco is people don't respect his arm and they don't worry about him running. So what are we doing here? he's got this year to perform, and then you have to decide if it's Rocco or Kohl for the next 3 years. One or the other will have to transfer. There isn't any way around it. Probably after this year but maybe after next year. it's just reality.

If I were Campbell, I'm not sure I want to deal with Kohl transferring given the heat he will be under at the end of this year.

• Agree
Reactions: exCYtable and Dopey

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Problem I have with Rocco is people don't respect his arm and they don't worry about him running. So what are we doing here? he's got this year to perform, and then you have to decide if it's Rocco or Kohl for the next 3 years. One or the other will have to transfer. There isn't any way around it. Probably after this year but maybe after next year. it's just reality.

If I were Campbell, I'm not sure I want to deal with Kohl transferring given the heat he will be under at the end of this year.
Hanging onto Kohl important. Maybe more getting the SEP kid to stay committed as some have said on here he's better than Kohl was his senior year. So they say.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
How many QBs does ISU have that are better than the guy in front of them?
That's not the point, there isn't room for kohl and Rocco, one will have to leave or switch positions if they want to play. It's fine to play Rocco now, but after this year you have to choose.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
At this point in time I can only deduce that our line is in such a poor state that they aren’t capable of blocking a simple screen pass, so I don’t know if that is the answer.
Blaming the line isn't fair to them. Right now our offense is so predictable, defenses can simply load the box and tee off on the line with no risk of getting burned.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Blaming the line isn't fair to them. Right now our offense is so predictable, defenses can simply load the box and tee off on the line with no risk of getting burned.
I would also be curious if we have some obvious tells?

I know we are very predictable, but I wonder if there are other things that make defending ISU even easier?

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
He just fired one of his best friends (the S&C coach). Let his long time assistant, Manning, go, and people say he hasn’t changed anything on offense.
Those people might be gone now but the philosophy and play calling are still the same and thats becasue of Campbell. He's stubborn to a fault at this point in believing this ultra conservative, play it close to the vest style of offense will get anything done. Its been evident for a couple years now that without NFL level talent to bail you out this offense won't be able to move the ball and put points on the board, regardless of who you're playing. Its a neutered offense thats easy to defend. Nothing is going to change until Campbell lets go and hands the reigns to Scheelhause or whoever to instill the game plan and call the plays.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin and joefrog

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I would also be curious if we have some obvious tells?

I know we are very predictable, but I wonder if there are other things that make defending ISU even easier?

There has to be. One situation Saturday in the 3rd Q, I believe it was 2nd and long. Passing formation, Ohio was in a 2 deep with the LB's back. We ran the usual pre-snap motion and the backers all immediately came up to the line of scrimmage before the snap of the ball for a run for no gain.

I don't know enough to know what they were keying on, but they definitely weren't guessing.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not sure if this is possible but I do lean on the side of things that ISU hasn't been terribly well coached despite the overall success and there are lots of teams out there that look more organized. If ISU is more sound in several instances they probably gain a a win or two in about every season. Their big wins over the years were when they were sound.

I recall watching a random Toledo game in 2015 as I think CMC's name had started getting out there as it looked like CPR was all but done and they were pretty sloppy too along with this that stuck out.

This nullified a huge offensive play in the game and was beyond dirty. Obviously CMC isn't going to condone this kind of thing and he can't be everywhere, but you have to wonder why a player didn't have the sense of boundaries to not do it.

There have been some instances at ISU under CMC that aren't as bad but imo look like **lacking discipline that could possibly be a sign of how the team operates in specific situations in the actual game.

**not gambling.

Everything else aside, I'm legitimately impressed that you can remember a random play from a Toledo game in 2015.

Reactions: madguy30

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That guy came off like a complete douche. If you support how he acted, you’re probably a douche.
Why does it matter how the fan acted? How many teams did you watch this weekend that played as pathetic as ours? Campbell reaction shows an inability to deal with adversity. Not a great trait to have in a high pressure position.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Everything else aside, I'm legitimately impressed that you can remember a random play from a Toledo game in 2015.

Yeah it's weird.

I can remember specific high school or college scores/plays etc but if the s.o. asks me to get bananas I need a text reminder with a picture.

Help Support Us

Become a patron