Thoughts on social media sites? UPDATE: Apple, IBM, Disney, etc. stopped advertising on Twitter - Musk suing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
When I bought my last car two years ago, one of the cars I looked at was a GM car. They tried to upsell me on a feature that would flash the brake lights intermittently when you took your foot off the gas, thus warning those behind you that you might brake. This was a monthly subscription. In the past two years, I only seen this on the road 2 or 3 times.

Oh I see it fairly regularly now. Have a couple friends that have it that said the dealerships almost didn't make it sound like an option. I think it's unnecessary and a waste of money, but I do notice when cars have it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree on musk, but will disagree that Twitter is some curse on civilization. Yeah it can be a cesspool, but it also has some good value connecting people. I’ve really enjoyed it for getting immediate news and reactions especially for cyclone stuff. Thing is, if it goes down in flames, it’s still a waste of money because everyone will just move to another platform. The concept isn’t going away.

I would think some other service does something similar at some point. Youtube shorts are just videos but do they expand?

Some other service?

Should I start a website?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I would disagree. $44 billion is a small price to send Twitter back to hell.

Elon might end up being the man who saves the planet from climate change through electrification, puts the first humans on Mars, and kills Twitter. Is there going to be a more accomplished member of our species this century or, heck, in the history of our civilization if he does three great services to humanity like that?

Don’t waste your time, it’s trendy and edgy for some to hate Elon

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Oh, then, I guess I hated Elon before it was cool.

Coming up with a wildly implausible plan to try to rescue kids trapped in a cave and then publicly and falsely accusing a guy of being a pedophile only because he criticized your stupid submarine will do that to rational people.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Oh, then, I guess I hated Elon before it was cool.

Coming up with a wildly implausible plan to try to rescue kids trapped in a cave and then publicly and falsely accusing a guy of being a pedophile only because he criticized your stupid submarine will do that to rational people.

Wow, stop being so edgy.

If you don't think there are dozens of legit reasons to dislike Musk you just aren't paying attention.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
He's liable for when Twitter crashes and burns. Not in the way you and I might be liable if we didn't pay a credit card bill or make our mortgage payment this month, but he's on the hook for a lot.

It cost $54,500 per kilogram of payload on the Space Shuttle.

Falcon Heavy is $1,500 per kilogram.

Source -- my extensive Wikipedia research, but it does have citations.

If you can't grasp the level of accomplishment and what it means for space exploration and the development of a private space economy that is, then I can't help you. You're blinded by hate.

Arguing if he's a "genius" or not is a silly semantic point. He's been the CEO of some of the most accomplished firms in the world, and he offered to tank a significant share of his (extensive, yes) net worth just so we wouldn't have to deal with the curse that Twitter has been on our civilization.

I get it on some level. Elon is weird. Like profoundly so.

But people like him rarely have bland personalities or modest ambitions and tame egos.

This thing you're on here is extremely weird.

1. He wanted out of buying twitter. He tried to get out of it when the value crashed before he took it over.
2. If you think he's doing anything but burning cash by destroying twitter, you're foolish. Social media is here to stay. People will just migrate to Threads or back to Facebook or something.
3. I don't care if he's weird. He's bad for the country with him pumping up bigoted accounts on Twitter.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A similar thing I often bring up is we're one of very few countries that allows prescription drugs be direct marketed to consumers. Someone was complaining about it in a gameday thread. We complain about various solicitation overload yet we enable it at every turn.
Who's we? The business owners lobby for these policies. It's not like we're voting on them. Citizens United is perfect example of that.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Reactions: cyfanatic

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Lol! He is way too unpopular for disliking him to be considered "trendy" or "edgy". In fact I would argue the reverse is true at this point. And all of it has been self inflicted. You don't have to go that far back to find a time when he was extremely popular. But then he had to be himself and get too political, rebrand twitter, get in a public pissing match with Zuckerburg, etc etc. The guy is brilliant in a lot if ways but a dunce apparently when it comes to brand self awareness.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I would disagree. $44 billion is a small price to send Twitter back to hell.

Elon might end up being the man who saves the planet from climate change through electrification, puts the first humans on Mars, and kills Twitter. Is there going to be a more accomplished member of our species this century or, heck, in the history of our civilization if he does three great services to humanity like that?

Citing his purchase and stewardship of Twitter as evidence of genius or accomplishment is certainly...something.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Personally I could care less if X/Twitter / dumb website charges. In my opinion they could all charge. I personally don't find social media to be a good thing for society but I'm a under 50 dinasaur. I'd also rather talk to people face to face or actually talk on the phone over texting. The horror, I know.

And also, this comes from a person who CF is probably as close to social media as I come.

No facebook, Twitter / X, snap chat, tik tok, etc for me. I just don't see the point and while it does let people connect, it also lets dumb dumbs from every corner of life have a platform.

If you need more dumb in your life, hit me up, and I'll be happy to oblige :)

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Citing his purchase and stewardship of Twitter as evidence of genius or accomplishment is certainly...something.
If you think Twitter is a terrible thing for humanity AND think Musk is some mastermind who used some of his own money and loans to intentionally bring it down to help humanity, I can see the mindset.

But it’s just a lot more plausible that Musk is unintentionally burning it down. If not that, he’s shaping it into what he wants it to be. If not that, he’s burning it down because he’s a toddler throwing a tantrum.

In any event, you have to discount a lot of more probable possibilities before getting to “Musk is doing this for a good reason.”

Reactions: CyDude16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

He has publicly advocated (as the richest man on earth at the time) that my friends and family in Taiwan should come under communist China rule.

Be honest here, you really think I strongly dislike that just so I can be “trendy and edgy”? Seriously, think about what you’re saying.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think recent history has taught us that men who have the social makeup of a narcissistic toddler should not be allowed anywhere near the app formerly known as twitter. It's an explosive combination.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDude16 and Turn2

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If you think Twitter is a terrible thing for humanity AND think Musk is some mastermind who used some of his own money and loans to intentionally bring it down to help humanity, I can see the mindset.

But it’s just a lot more plausible that Musk is unintentionally burning it down. If not that, he’s shaping it into what he wants it to be. If not that, he’s burning it down because he’s a toddler throwing a tantrum.

In any event, you have to discount a lot of more probable possibilities before getting to “Musk is doing this for a good reason.”

Nah, there's no world where he spends $44B too do humanity a solid by taking down a social media network. You have to be a bootlicker of the highest order to believe that nonsense.

If he wanted to kill it, he'd just kill it and not go through the machinations of pretending to keep it viable. Elon fcking loves Twitter, it's a vanity project and one he's failing at badly.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Nah, there's no world where he spends $44B too do humanity a solid by taking down a social media network. You have to be a bootlicker of the highest order to believe that nonsense.

If he wanted to kill it, he'd just kill it and not go through the machinations of pretending to keep it viable. Elon fcking loves Twitter, it's a vanity project and one he's failing at badly.
Oh, I pretty much completely agree with you (I guess there is MAYBE a one in a billion chance he’s doing it for the “right reasons,” but that’s it)

Status
Not open for further replies.