*** Official IOWA STATE vs #14 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Could people transfer without penalty before? Were 3 stars getting money to go to middle of nowhere schools? Were bottom tier schools like Colorado turning over entire rosters with booster money?

Entire rosters no but they went from being bad/average to really good in the 90s with some monster players.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh so there is some nuance here that people are just ignoring for sake of their argument?

I'm not sure what you're saying (I'm not smart) but my point is CU ascending to national prominence likely didn't involve a clean recruiting situation.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
My Dad was offered more than a semester's tuition per month to attend a Big10 school in the 1950s, besides a full ride football scholarship.

Imagine pretending any p5 school was ever completely clean.

Seems some people want to find some other excuse for Campbell's obvious failures besides the fact he really isn't that great of a coach, especially now that everyone has figured him out.
Wrong.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not sure what you're saying (I'm not smart) but my point is CU ascending to national prominence likely didn't involve a clean recruiting situation.
The original myopic point was being made it's always been this way. It obviously hasn't. Without money ISU isn't going to compete. Even if we develop talent iSU is not going to keep top earners like the 9ers are with Purdy, pennies on the dollar. This isn't amateur football anymore. It's pro without salary caps, contracts and collective bargaining.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Manhattan is like 2 hours max from KC, not even that. Comparing Des Moines to KC is laughable.
Manhattan is in the middle of no man’s land. By your logic Graceland University should be a recruiting Mecca because it is less than two hours from KC and an hour from DSM. I wasn’t comparing KC to DSM. Both are cities and you can find you want to do in either.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Manhattan is in the middle of no man’s land. By your logic Graceland University should be a recruiting Mecca because it is less than two hours from KC and an hour from DSM. I wasn’t comparing KC to DSM. Both are cities and you can find you want to do in either.
Calling Graceland comparable to a P5 school is like calling Des Moines a city compared to KC. You're just making the same point.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
We were just young that week.
It was reported that Iowa State had multiple players very ill that game with food poisoning. The quarterback was throwing up against a fence when not on the field. Yes, our backups should be able to beat Ohio, but there were other reasons Iowa State didn't look good in that game that people seem to have forgotten about.

• Winner

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
He squeezed someone for 10 million to build the bridge and RV Village. Certainly he can find a few million to buy talent for 2024 and 2024. Just prime the pump! Otherwise that will be a bridge to nowhere.

You didn't answer the question you were asked.

Reactions: RagingCloner

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
What ought we do then? Apparently you know what breaks a 91% win rate better than all the coaches who have ever been here. Please enlighten us.
What should we do? They are better at football. Good lord they have been better for 100 years. And yet you are running around like this is a total surprise. We were 20 point digs, there was no chance we were winning this. Get ahold of yourself man.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I don't really get why people think the offense took another step forward yesterday. We hit on 2 big plays where the defense took chances because they knew they were a better team and could afford to go for INTs.

Before the field goal to make the game 20-21 with 9 minutes left in the 2nd: Iowa St had 259 yards of offense (with 118 of them coming on the two TD passes). 76 of our 150 rushing yards from RBs came from the first two drives.

After: 90 yards of offense, not including the kneel at the end of the first half.

The reality of it is we got outclassed for 3 quarters and made zero adjustments. Playcalling continued to be subpar (why didn’t we use the middle of the field after the big gains?)

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't really get why people think the offense took another step forward yesterday. We hit on 2 big plays where the defense took chances because they knew they were a better team and could afford to go for INTs.

Before the field goal to make the game 20-21 with 9 minutes left in the 2nd: Iowa St had 259 yards of offense (with 118 of them coming on the two TD passes). 76 of our 150 rushing yards from RBs came from the first two drives.

After: 90 yards of offense, not including the kneel at the end of the first half.

The reality of it is we got outclassed for 3.5 quarters and made zero adjustments. Playcalling continued to be subpar (why didn’t we use the middle of the field after the big gains?)
Sure glad we are at the stage where our offense is so good that some fans feel the need to apologize for making big plays on offense.

I am sure Lincoln Riley and Deon Sanders feel the same way when they complete intermediate slants to their receivers.
;)

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Sure glad we are at the stage where our offense is so good that some fans feel the need to apologize for making big plays on offense.

I am sure Lincoln Riley and Deon Sanders feel the same way when they complete intermediate slants to their receivers.
;)
ISU had one sustained drive the entire game. The big plays are great, but I don’t think it’s some big reflection of the offense making improvements.

• Dumb

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
ISU had one sustained drive the entire game. The big plays are great, but I don’t think it’s some big reflection of the offense making improvements.

Some of the best offenses in football are the best because of big plays. There are very few teams that can go on multi-play drives up and down the field consistently.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would agree our offense reverted to what it looked like during the non-con in the 2nd half. I hope that was just because we were down by 27 at the start of the 2nd half. We lost our run game balance.

But if ISU's offense is going to consistently score 28 or more ppg, we need a big plays! Most P5 defenses are too good to allow an offense to string together 4 or 5 ten play scoring drives in a game. Plus defenses become condensed in the red zone.

With speedy WR's, intermediate slants are a staple of most great college offenses because they can turn 10-15 yard passes into 60 yard TD's.

Not sure how you can say running for 100 yards in the first half and 2 long scoring passes wasn't a positive. Now we need to find the consistency to do it for 2 halves!!

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
Some of the best offenses in football are the best because of big plays. There are very few teams that can go on multi-play drives up and down the field consistently.
Fair point and I don’t see CMC suddenly opening up the offense and throwing downfield on the regular. I wouldn’t characterize him as a coach that changes course significantly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron