F*CK IOWA

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I’m gonna tell Iowa fans exactly what they’ve told us over the years when we actually got screwed: “Don’t put yourself in a position where the ref’s call can change the outcome so you don’t have to worry about it”
Bumping this for you Iowa fans still filling your diaper

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I think because of the subjectivity a rule like this has and just the amount of actual rules in football. There's much more than what we think. Many like this are just rarely called. I guess it's preference some want reviews for everything and number 1 goal is getting the right call no matter what I get that aspect to some degree. As a fan of sports if I'm watching a neutral game I like less reviews personally and don't think everything needs to be slowed down and analyzed.
But the play in question was a scoring play. Such a play will be scrutinized much more than a play in the 2nd quarter where a punt returner kind of waved his arms, fielded the ball, and returned it for 3 yards. That play would be a waste of time to review. A scoring play should always be reviewed.... and each scoring play is reviewed

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
But the play in question was a scoring play. Such a play will be scrutinized much more than a play in the 2nd quarter where a punt returner kind of waved his arms, fielded the ball, and returned it for 3 yards. That play would be a waste of time to review, A scoring play should always be reviewed.... and each scoring play is reviewed
I agree completely with everything you said. In some ways coopers heroics kind of screwed them. Had he gotten up field gotten 12 yards let's say that puts us around minnesota 40. Cyhig we are 3 qb sneaks away at a reasonable fieldgoal to walk it off with a field goal

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I agree completely with everything you said. In some ways coopers heroics kind of screwed them. Had he gotten up field gotten 12 yards let's say that puts us around minnesota 40. Cyhig we are 3 qb sneaks away at a reasonable fieldgoal to walk it off with a field goal
Even then it may be reviewable. Plays near the end of the game have a much higher likelihood of being reviewed than plays much earlier in the game.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Even then it may be reviewable. Plays near the end of the game have a much higher likelihood of being reviewed than plays much earlier in the game.
I really doubt it. Had he not been on sideline I don't even think it gets reviewed. I think majority of fans on both sides were confused after ruling. It was a long review too to your point of being magnified. Time it takes to snap an extra point probably wouldn't of even give officials enough time imo

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
?
I really doubt it. Had he not been on sideline I don't even think it gets reviewed. I think majority of fans on both sides were confused after ruling. It was a long review too to your point of being magnified. Time it takes to snap an extra point probably wouldn't of even give officials enough time imo
Every score gets reviewed and they were reviewing for the signal not the sideline. Just because the announcers were clueless doesn't mean the refs were. The long time for the review is because the were seeing what the clock should be set to and where to spot the ball. When you see the ref writing things down it means the play will be overturned and he's writing down the spot and clock.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I really doubt it. Had he not bee. On sideline I don't even think it gets reviewed. I think majority of fans on both sides were confused after ruling. It was a long review too to your point of being magnified. Time it takes to snap an extra point probably wouldn't of even give officials enough time imo
That’s your opinion. In my opinion there was a high degree the play would had been reviewed if punt was returned to near scoring position at that time in the game. Plays near the end of the game are magnified. Replay officials are more apt to call for a replay near the end than the beginning.

The review took a while because they were reviewing a few things. Once they determined it was an illegal fist catch, they then had to review where the ball should be spotted and how much time was left on the clock. That process takes a while

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That’s your opinion. In my opinion there was a high degree the play would had been reviewed if punt was returned to near scoring position at that time in the game. Plays near the end of the game are magnified. Replay officials are more apt to call for a replay near the end than the beginning.

The review took a while because they were reviewing a few things. Once they determined it was an illegal fist catch, they then had to review where the ball should be spotted and how much time was left on the clock. That process takes a while
The catch wasn't illegal. Him advancing the ball was.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That was one of the biggest kick to the nuts I've ever had as a sports fan and I've had a lot. Probably because I was at the game, which made it worse and the fact that no one knew this rule existed before, which again is compounded by being at the game because you don't get the immediate explanation of what the heck happened.

What makes it hard is that it is maybe technically the correct call, but how many calls don't get made that could be technically the correct call over the course of a game? What Cooper did was not deliberate and no one in the stadium including the opposing fans, coaching staff and players thought for even one second that Cooper called anything close to a fair catch.

Cooper was trying to get Iowa players away from the football by waving below the shoulders with his left arm and pointing with his right arm when he was still a long ways away from the ball. Then when he gets to the area of the ball landing, he fields the punt and dodges immediate tackle attempts by Minnesota and then busted it for a TD. Then after a lengthy review they called the invalid signal reversal. It was really stuff to stomach then and still bad now as what Cooper did had no bearing on the outcome of that play IMO.

Again just a kick to the nuts. Stadium went from don't think we could win, to an amazing play, then a review where we all thought they were reviewing if he was in bounds and then stadium goes crazy again when they showed him clearly in bounds to the invalid signal call. Just a crazy swing of emotions in a short amount of time.
I've heard so many Hawk fans give ISU fans sh!t for complaining about officiating and the apology letters and all that. We've had some legitimate terrible calls go against us that were decisive in the game. This wasn't even a bad call. Don't feel the slightest bit bad for hawk fans.