Covid still frolicking around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've heard the Shingles shot is brutal.
I think it's still true that you won't get Shingles if you never had Chicken Pox, correct? If so, that might be the one thing I lucked out on.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I have heard that too and part of why I kept putting it off. First one was fine, hopefully lucky again when I get second one.
That's not what I wanted to hear. My annual is next month and I'm sure that topic will be on the doc's agenda.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My mom and sister BOTH had shingles (sister was only in her 40s) and they were MISERABLE for a long time. I will be risking the shot whenever its recommended for me.
My uncle got it real bad a few years ago. Shingles vaccine was rough, but still waaaayyy better than getting shingles.

Reactions: CascadeClone

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
My mom and sister BOTH had shingles (sister was only in her 40s) and they were MISERABLE for a long time. I will be risking the shot whenever its recommended for me.
My dad had it and he wasnt a fan. Ill probably get the damn shot.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
That's not what I wanted to hear. My annual is next month and I'm sure that topic will be on the doc's agenda.
I kept talking mine out of it cause I was getting either flu or tetanus and didn’t want to get two at once.

Of course, they quickly ran out of Covid shots in our county unless you didn’t have insurance, so I let a slick talking big city Walmart pharmacist talk me into three shots at once. Glad I did!

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
My son who is a long hauler got it when a friend asked him to be a groomsman in his wedding. It was a dumb time to have a big wedding. Son felt he couldn’t say no.

The maid of honor let people know two days after the wedding that she had Covid. The entire wedding party except the groom got it. Bride’s grandmother died from it.

I am no scientist or medical professional but I have been suspicious that length of exposure may have something to do with it, between rehearsal and dinner, photographs, and wedding and reception. This was also the original Covid before vaccines available.
Pre vaccines huh? that’s pretty idiotic to have a wedding especially with elderly in attendance if it was inside and their wasn’t frequent testing. Sorry to hear about your son.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Is it just me, or are seasonal allergies (and general respiratory cruddiness) just way too powerful this year? Seems like the environment is just trying to kill us off.
Ive been congested all summer. Only relief I get is when the temp drop to cool/cold. Humidity anhialates me with ragweed and whatnot on top of it.

Reactions: mapnerd

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think our family got this or Covid over Christmas last year. We were all vaccinated so I expect that dulled the impact but Jesus. Son was like 104F just a zombie on the couch when he literally never stops moving. Just wiped us all out.

None of us have ever tested positive for Covid but two kids in daycare I'm sure it was in there somewhere in a cold we didn't bother testing for. Both kids got sick right after a daycare bestie tested positive. Oldest one ended up needing his albuterol a few times the first morning. I'm sure they had it but we tested for days and never got a positive. That was about 4 weeks after their first vaccine so I've always suspected they had developed just enough immunity to not signal strong enough on the rapid.

Why would anyone dumb this?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I had a very mild case back in mid-March 2020 when things started going down. Never got a test due to their unavailability but was positive for ABs in May and for a long while.

Was actually positive for ABs at the Red Cross the day before my first shot which was almost a year later.

I'm a little surprised I haven't gotten it again but I was also social distancing and limiting my interactions with other people before it was cool and have only continued that trend.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Pre vaccines huh? that’s pretty idiotic to have a wedding especially with elderly in attendance if it was inside and their wasn’t frequent testing. Sorry to hear about your son.
Yep, October 2020. Tried to talk son out of doing it. He’s more than paid the price for not listening to me. Fortunately one of the other groomsmen and him kind of took care of each other and he took son to ER when he couldn’t even keep down a sip of water.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My dad had it and he wasnt a fan. Ill probably get the damn shot.
My grandmother would talk all the time about how her brother was a badass WW2 infantryman and how attacked he was and what he survived but how shingles almost took him down later in life. She would always describe how shocked she was seeing him because she knew his pain threshold was incredibly high.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why would anyone dumb this?
@cowgirl836 one way to check is to get a titers test. If you have had it, your levels are generally higher and hold much longer than the shot. They used to do them when I gave blood/plasma but quit doing that.

That was how I found out I had Covid at least twice (no symptoms) because my titers went up.

Reactions: cowgirl836

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
@cowgirl836 one way to check is to get a titers test. If you have had it, your levels are generally higher and hold much longer than the shot. They used to do them when I gave blood/plasma but quit doing that.

That was how I found out I had Covid at least twice (no symptoms) because my titers went up.
Yep. Titer used to be included in Liferserve's blood donation portal information. I think it stopped at end of 2021?

Reactions: BCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.