NIT Changes

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Unadulterated ********.

A 27-5 low major that went 15-3 in their league but got upset in a crapshoot tournament is now going to sit at home while 15-19 Rutgers who bought 8 wins and had 20 Q1 opportunities hosts a game so that their feelings don't get hurt. The best part is the NCAA is going to cover all their expenses to host while the low major has to spend $100k to play in one of the other tournaments if they choose to.

The NCAA can **** all the way off.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Unadulterated ********.

A 27-5 low major that went 15-3 in their league but got upset in a crapshoot tournament is now going to sit at home while 15-19 Rutgers who bought 8 wins and had 20 Q1 opportunities hosts a game so that their feelings don't get hurt. The best part is the NCAA is going to cover all their expenses to host while the low major has to spend $100k to play in one of the other tournaments if they choose to.

Why would the NCAA cover any expenses for anybody in the NIT?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

This is awful news for mid-major programs.

No doubt this is in response to the talk that the Big 12\Big East\Big 10 might start their own thing.

If they do, it would likely become a larger ratings draw than the NIT and could ultimately kill it.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Need to keep in mind that Fox is supposedly sponsoring a separate 16 team post season tourney from the NCAA's version of the NIT.

Also, they need to get rid of games at campus venues for the NIT and Fox's new version as well. Move all of the games to Vegas with their multiple venues (Thomas & Mack, Cox Pavilion, Orleans Arena, T-Mobile) and include at least one team from every conference if the mid and low major regular season champ doesn't make the NCAAs. Back in the day before NCAA tourney expansion in 1975, there were 16 teams playing all the games at MSG in NYC so you could have teams playing 4 days in a row and it was highly popular.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Need to keep in mind that Fox is supposedly sponsoring a separate 16 team post season tourney from the NCAA's version of the NIT.

Also, they need to get rid of games at campus venues for the NIT and Fox's new version as well. Move all of the games to Vegas with their multiple venues (Thomas & Mack, Cox Pavilion, Orleans Arena, T-Mobile) and include at least one team from every conference if the mid and low major regular season champ doesn't make the NCAAs. Back in the day before NCAA tourney expansion in 1975, there were 16 teams playing all the games at MSG in NYC so you could have teams playing 4 days in a row and it was highly popular.

On campus games are the only appeal of these other tournaments to me. There is no way in hell I'm going to pay all of that money to watch my team play in a game that's not the real tourney. No way.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldCy and NWICY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The non-NCAA tournaments are on campus because the organizers probably feel like attendance would be garbage at a neutral site, meaning less revenue and a worse tv product.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
No doubt this is in response to the talk that the Big 12\Big East\Big 10 might start their own thing.

If they do, it would likely become a larger ratings draw than the NIT and could ultimately kill it.

I was wondering what the rationale for this was. Still absolutely ridiculous.

I hope the NCAA backtracks after the (well justified) backlash.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
On campus games are the only appeal of these other tournaments to me. There is no way in hell I'm going to pay all of that money to watch my team play in a game that's not the real tourney. No way.

The non-NCAA tournaments are on campus because the organizers probably feel like attendance would be garbage at a neutral site, meaning less revenue and a worse tv product.
Attendence at both campus venues and MSG in the current format is not good for the most part. Would be far more fun for the players and a significant segment of fans to have the entire event in Vegas (which is what Fox is planning to do with their proposal)

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Your team has legitimate access to the NCAA tournament. Mids really don't anymore and low majors never did.

• Creative
Reactions: alarson

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Attendence at both campus venues and MSG in the current format is not good for the most part. Would be far more fun for the players and a significant segment of fans to have the entire event in Vegas (which is what Fox is planning to do with their proposal)
Plus the timing is better. Gives people two weeks to make plans. It's damn hard and damn expensive to get a flight and lodging to Manhattan on two days notice.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Fans: Wouldn’t it be nice for the regular season to mean more?

NCAA: We hear you! We’re taking away auto NIT bids for conference champions!

Fans: But that’s not —-

NCAA: More big names! More big schools!

Fans: Doesn’t that hurt mid-majors —

NCAA: BIG NAMES! TOP CONFERENCES! FOR THE FANS!

Fans: /roll eyes/

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Fans: Wouldn’t it be nice for the regular season to mean more?

NCAA: We hear you! We’re taking away auto NIT bids for conference champions!

Fans: But that’s not —-

NCAA: More big names! More big schools!

Fans: Doesn’t that hurt mid-majors —

NCAA: BIG NAMES! TOP CONFERENCES! FOR THE FANS!

Fans: /roll eyes/

I mean at the end of the day though, as much as people like to say they want the midmajors, the ratings show a different story. People tune in for the big names.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Unadulterated ********.

Rutgers plays in the Big10, no way do they have 20 Q1 opportunities. Rest is spot on.
Might be better for us. It seems like TJ does due diligence on scouting lower level players.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Rutgers plays in the Big10, no way do they have 20 Q1 opportunities. Rest is spot on.
Might be better for us. It seems like TJ does due diligence on scouting lower level players.
My fault. They had 13 Q1s and 8 Q2s.

North Texas, who was the top kid MM left out had 11 total opportunities and only two of them at home.

I get that it's never, ever going to be a fair system and I can live with that. I just wish the NCAA had the balls to be honest about it.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Seems like unnecessary changes for the sake of making changes. There are too many P6 schools every year that simply do not deserve a postseason appearance that will now get one at the expense of smaller schools that do deserve (or are at least more deserving) to play SOMEwhere in March. It's just not necessary to reward MORE mediocrity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron