NIT Changes

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Need to keep in mind that Fox is supposedly sponsoring a separate 16 team post season tourney from the NCAA's version of the NIT.

Also, they need to get rid of games at campus venues for the NIT and Fox's new version as well. Move all of the games to Vegas with their multiple venues (Thomas & Mack, Cox Pavilion, Orleans Arena, T-Mobile) and include at least one team from every conference if the mid and low major regular season champ doesn't make the NCAAs. Back in the day before NCAA tourney expansion in 1975, there were 16 teams playing all the games at MSG in NYC so you could have teams playing 4 days in a row and it was highly popular.

The attendance at that deal would be in the low 100s. You could host it in a high school gym.

Nick P

Aug 11, 2022
I just feel like the NIT had to do this to actually survive in today’s TV ratings driven world

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Does feel like mid majors should give their regular season champ the AQ bid and ditch the conference tournament

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Attachments

• IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Disagree
Reactions: alarson

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No doubt this is in response to the talk that the Big 12\Big East\Big 10 might start their own thing.

If they do, it would likely become a larger ratings draw than the NIT and could ultimately kill it.

I like this alot if it comes to fruition. I don't care about the NIT anyway.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What is your point the NCAA tourney will still have cinderalla teams. No one cares about the NIT

Ah yes; the ole' "If I don't care about it then nobody cares about it!" argument.

It's not the NCAA tournament, of course, but it's still a nice consolation prize for teams, particularly those mid to low major teams who make it in. It's a God awful decision by the NCAA.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ah yes; the ole' "If I don't care about it then nobody cares about it!" argument.

It's not the NCAA tournament, of course, but it's still a nice consolation prize for teams, particularly those mid to low major teams who make it in. It's a God awful decision by the NCAA.

Never said that, people can care. I SAID I don't care. And I know you are a UNI fan, so I get it.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I would guess they lose money on those tournaments.
Low majors absolutely do.

Last I knew only the Valley, the Mountain West and the A10 were the only non power leagues that made money and a lot of that is having their title games on CBS.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
What is your point the NCAA tourney will still have cinderalla teams. No one cares about the NIT
My point is people will watch compelling matchups regardless if they’re from a power league or not, and was in response to the comment that mid majors don’t deliver ratings

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I mean at the end of the day though, as much as people like to say they want the midmajors, the ratings show a different story. People tune in for the big names.

The last time I watched the NIT was when Baylor dunked on Iowa about 75 times.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
no one should care anything about NIT. nor should a power 5 team enter it

Think the last NIT game I watched (was in the stands) was when we had a doubleheader in Ames hosting both a MBB and WBB NIT game.

If the Gophers WBB hosted an NIT this season and the opponent was ISU I'd probably buy a ticket. Other than a local circumstance like that I am solidly in the don't give a hoot about the NIT crowd.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Dumb. Much more entertaining to watch a team like George Mason that had a good regular season than a .500 Cal team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I’m not in favor of expanding the NCAA Tournament but I’d rather see them go to 96 than have this happen.

My biggest issue with 96 teams is it gets to be too much of a good thing. When it was 64 teams it played perfectly into three consecutive weekends. Then they added the extra game to account for the WAC/MWC split. Then they added another game to “showcase small schools”. Then they added another pair of games and had the last four teams in play them. And it’s just stretching further and further away from what was already almost perfect.

If there was one issue with 64, it’s there are teams in it that don’t belong there. By expanding to 68 more of those teams naturally get included. Going to 96 means there would be a lot of bad basketball in the NCAA Tournament

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
My biggest issue with 96 teams is it gets to be too much of a good thing. When it was 64 teams it played perfectly into three consecutive weekends. Then they added the extra game to account for the WAC/MWC split. Then they added another game to “showcase small schools”. Then they added another pair of games and had the last four teams in play them. And it’s just stretching further and further away from what was already almost perfect.

If there was one issue with 64, it’s there are teams in it that don’t belong there. By expanding to 68 more of those teams naturally get included. Going to 96 means there would be a lot of bad basketball in the NCAA Tournament
Yeah you probably changed my mind but I still feel bad for the low/mid majors being forced out of the NIT. I don’t think fans of P6 teams realize how big of deal the NIT is to them.