What music are you listening to right now?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
New Green Day and Blink 182
What's the concensus on the new blink-182 album around here? I love it but I am super bias.

I need to give the new Green Day stuff more play. I liked it but didn't love it my first couple listens.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
What's the concensus on the new blink-182 album around here? I love it but I am super bias.

I need to give the new Green Day stuff more play. I liked it but didn't love it my first couple listens.
I hadn't listened to Green Day between when I had Nimrod on repeat when it came out and a couple days ago. It's amazing how less angry and powerful it sounds in today's world.

Now, I have been on the harder end of the spectrum (Korn, Godsmack, I Prevail, Motionless in White, etc) since around '99 to '00, but prior to that it was GD, Blink, MXPX, Everclear, The Offspring, etc in the mid 90's. I have to admit I shouldn't have listened to Nimrod now because it diminished some of the angst and emotion I remember in those punk bands at the time.

Reactions: JM4CY

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Blink was fun at times, some bops, not great for me overall. Travis goes hard as ****, a few too many "hello fellow children" moments, like guys, you're in your 50's or close to it now. Also Edging is just so bad.

Haven't listened to new Green Day tracks yet, but I don't think my hopes are super high.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I hadn't listened to Green Day between when I had Nimrod on repeat when it came out and a couple days ago. It's amazing how less angry and powerful it sounds in today's world.

Now, I have been on the harder end of the spectrum (Korn, Godsmack, I Prevail, Motionless in White, etc) since around '99 to '00, but prior to that it was GD, Blink, MXPX, Everclear, The Offspring, etc in the mid 90's. I have to admit I shouldn't have listened to Nimrod now because it diminished some of the angst and emotion I remember in those punk bands at the time.
Everclear lol. Man, I hadn't thought about them in a long ass time but almost went and saw them when they were in Waterloo this fall because I thought I had a free ticket. Turns out I didn't and had to pay for it and I said thanks but no thanks. I can't believe they would be good at this point.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Ok, you got me going back to the oldies. I have Everclear's So Much For The Afterglow on right now. Damn if that wasn't my favorite CD forever and still a Top 5.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Everclear lol. Man, I hadn't thought about them in a long ass time but almost went and saw them when they were in Waterloo this fall because I thought I had a free ticket. Turns out I didn't and had to pay for it and I said thanks but no thanks. I can't believe they would be good at this point.
Yeah, I'm looking up some of those old goodies from the 90's and it's amazing how old we and they have gotten. The Offspring formed in 1984... I was only 2 at the time. They're still playing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I understand why they did it but I feel like they should of led with this track when they were releasing singles instead of Edging.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Albums that came out this year that I enjoyed in no particular order:

Genesis Owusu - Struggler
Zach Bryan - Zach Bryan
Jeff Rosenstock - HELLMODE
JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - Scaring the Hoes
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Petrodragon Apocalypse
Ana Frango Eletrico - Me chama de gato que eu sou sua
underscores - Wallsocket
Geese - 3D Country
Paramore - This is Why
Foo Fighters - But Here We Are
The Lemon Twigs- Everything in Harmony
Fires in the Distance - Air not Meant for Us
Jason Isbell and the 400 unit - Weathervanes
boygenius - The Record
Blockhead - The Aux

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I dig it quite a bit. They manage to be themselves, without being 45 year old guys writing music for teenagers, which is kind of what I feared. These songs are geared pretty squarely at their audience, and there are a bunch of bangers on the album.

I'm not going to bother with new Green Day. They take themselves waaaaaaaaay too seriously for the kind of music they make. Blink knows who they are, and stay true to it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Albums that came out this year that I enjoyed in no particular order:

Genesis Owusu - Struggler
Zach Bryan - Zach Bryan
Jeff Rosenstock - HELLMODE
JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - Scaring the Hoes
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Petrodragon Apocalypse
Ana Frango Eletrico - Me chama de gato que eu sou sua
underscores - Wallsocket
Geese - 3D Country
Paramore - This is Why
Foo Fighters - But Here We Are
The Lemon Twigs- Everything in Harmony
Fires in the Distance - Air not Meant for Us
Jason Isbell and the 400 unit - Weathervanes
boygenius - The Record
Blockhead - The Aux
A bunch of those will end up on my 2023 list.

I suppose it's time to start that thread.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I dig it quite a bit. They manage to be themselves, without being 45 year old guys writing music for teenagers, which is kind of what I feared. These songs are geared pretty squarely at their audience, and there are a bunch of bangers on the album.

I'm not going to bother with new Green Day. They take themselves waaaaaaaaay too seriously for the kind of music they make. Blink knows who they are, and stay true to it.
I agree this take a lot. I couldn’t put my finger on why I can’t get into the newer Green Day stuff as much but that’s well said. Blink has some real depth to their new album in many places that I appreciate and still writes pop punky stuff that rips like Dance with Me. Side note, the video for that song is awesome. And You would never Green Day dressing up like the Ramones and being idiots like that. Blink has used near tragedy’s to galvanize them and produce a level on genuineness that their audience deeply appreciates.

Reactions: Al_4_State