Here comes the doomsday thread, sorry

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Couple questions:
1. at this point non-olympic sports are just pro leagues essentially using the branding of a university.
2. if the non-top tier league can still; have NIL coming in, what's the difference at the end of the day? Eventually they'll have the same problem where the higher-end "lower schools" have more to give athletes than the lower end "lower schools".

What am I missing?

Reactions: PickSix

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
CFB will never be G league or AAA, there are already massive alumni networks and fans of these teams going back generations. G league is less than a decade old and has no ties to anything. Triple A isn’t even televised, youre comparing apples to nails

Fair point. Maybe said in a better way, I think there are less eyeballs for a 25-40 team breakaway league than there is right now with 120 fan bases paying close attention to college football.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
The problem is that due to Title IX the amount going to each athlete won't amount to much to make a difference since it will be diluted across every sport. Until the NCAA or CFB specifically find a way around it (Conferences paying the players directly is the most likely), I don't see any of this helping.

I see legal entities being created that manage their own sports and pay to use the name/branding/facilities of various colleges. SImple way around it to me.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Do they get IPERS access?
Need two consecutive quarters of pay exceeding $1000, then you become eligible in the third quarter of the calendar year. If there is a gap for a quarter, then the cycle resets. Pay them during their season only and IPERS would be avoided.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Maybe I’m reading the room wrong but I envision 50-60 teams and Iowa State making that cut not some super split off of 24-30. Although that could come later.
I think it will be more inclusive then that even. College fans in general are ready to jump off a cliff ever since NIL became a thing. Its a big deal, but not the dire situation some are making it out to be IMO.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I see legal entities being created that manage their own sports and pay to use the name/branding/facilities of various colleges. SImple way around it to me.
That would require the approval of government regulators and I'm not sure how that happens.

Maybe things get so messed up they pass laws Congress gets involved and fixes everything. (jimlad)

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I always thought a Super League would come. What I didn’t expect was that it would be initiated by the NCAA. I thought the 20-25 programs would simply break away from the NCAA (similar to what they tried in Europe).

This is the NCAA trying to remain relevant, as the obviously see the writing on the wall

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The only way I might like this is if the top 60 or so schools break off and reshuffle the deck to have regional divisions. Then I might be onboard

And if so maybe conferences could be sensibly reconstituted for all the other sports?

Bringing back the PAC, old Big East, and SWC as 10-12 team sporting affiliations would have a lot of benefits to other sports. They all got wrecked over football anyway.

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Maybe I’m reading the room wrong but I envision 50-60 teams and Iowa State making that cut not some super split off of 24-30. Although that could come later.

I'm betting Washington State and Oregon State thought they'd make the cut off. (maybe they ultimately will, but we have now seen what can happen)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I always thought a Super League would come. What I didn’t expect was that it would be initiated by the NCAA. I thought the 20-25 programs would simply break away from the NCAA (similar to what they tried in Europe).

This is the NCAA trying to remain relevant, as the obviously see the writing on the wall
This isn’t a super league though the way it is being described and honestly it isn’t even a change from what is happening now, it’s just putting the P4 in a separate category so they don’t have to pay for bowls/playoff spots for the G5

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Yes I think ISU can make this cut. If you’re looking at $15K per athlete, that’s about $6M/year. Which should be doable with our current budget. That’s about 5% of our annual budget. We can find that money from somewhere.

I don’t think this prevents an eventual Super League though. The B12, ACC, have-nots of B10/SEC need to remain competitive to avoid the creation of a Super League