Principal Financial-Remote work

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No, because the job I got and started a month ago was advertised as hybrid. Those who got jobs before Covid were just assumed to be in office, and since the job world has changed, companies should reevaluate those employees to determine if they can have a remote, hybrid, or in office work since they didn’t really get the opportunity I had.
They have the same opportunity as you though, you changed jobs; they could also if they weren’t happy with theirs.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
No chance. My India cohorts get like 6 or 9 months, not sure what the dads get. Granted on the US side both mom and dad get 14 weeks and don't have to use it all consecutively. One guy on my team just got back from using 8 and is going to take the remaining 6 when his wife's 14 run out.

Is that a country thing or their company that gives them that? I only ask cause we just had an Indian associate whose wife had a baby and he's taking 2 days off. Could be his choice, not sure.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Is that a country thing or their company that gives them that? I only ask cause we just had an Indian associate whose wife had a baby and he's taking 2 days off. Could be his choice, not sure.

I used to watch what I said to our Indian vendor. I gave normal feedback and they **** canned the person.

They didn't have feedback. They had **** or get ****** attitude. Any mistakes and the employee disappeared

Last edited:

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Had to Google it. 6 months required by law for moms nothing officially required for dads.

The14 weeks is our company policy in the US. Ironically they are both from India. Kind of mixed the 2 together there. He and his wife both work at the same company as me.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Tailg8er

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The world was never the same after smoking in the office wasn't permitted.

A goddam suit, tie, and an ashtray on the desk.

That's when mother ******* got work done. None of this WFH horse ****.

Who needs to be '@'ed for nomination for post of the year?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I used to watch what I said to our Indian vendor. I gave normal feedback and they **** canned the person.

They didn't have feedback. They had **** or get ****** attitude. Any mistakes and the employee disappeared
Yeah we outsource some routine doc prep/compliance type stuff to India and I have the same approach. If they get it 85% correct and I correct and finish the last 15 they have still saved me hours of work

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I've noticed similar with ours. I'll give some basic feedback and the supervisor on their side will respond just ripping their employee. I've started to be pretty selective with any criticism.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
All five sons either got the first job out of college or switched jobs since 2020.

Most of their onboarding was remote. The one with a security clearance would not have been allowed in the building until his clearance was approved anyway. They all had endless online training. One of the ones who switched jobs said it wasn’t much different than his first job pre-Covid when they spent a week in a conference room watching power point slides and taking quizzes about them. One of them has a desk in a building five miles away from the building his supervisor is in so not much difference between communication when he is in office or home, it’s all phone or email.

They all have flexibility to determine whether they need to go in or not. As engineers and a scientist, there are times that they physically need to be there, but most of the time, a computer and phone is sufficient.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Yesterday there was a "town hall" with the Principal CEO and other execs.

Someone had the courage to ask (props to that employee) about lower engagement & job satisfaction scores (something like a 9% across the board drop), in the context of pay & the return to office mandate.

My take on the answers from the CEO (and this is just my impression):
1. He thinks the 3-days in office mandate is still correct despite massive backlash. "Too bad, deal with it." (Said in a very corporate way)
2. He thinks our pay is fair. "Don't like it? Well, either suck it up or get a new job." (Also said in a very corporate way.)

My take on the 2nd point ... I don't believe it. Our benefits aren't "top tier" anymore (despite what is said), they are average. And I can't speak for all areas, but the feeling is that something is off with the metrics when we keep losing our best and brightest to other companies.

Just my 2 cents.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Someone had the courage to ask (props to that employee) about lower engagement & job satisfaction scores (something like a 9% across the board drop), in the context of pay & the return to office mandate.

1. He thinks the 3-days in office mandate is still correct despite massive backlash. "Too bad, deal with it." (Said in a very corporate way)
2. He thinks our pay is fair. "Don't like it? Well, either suck it up or get a new job." (Also said in a very corporate way.)

My take on the 2nd point ... I don't believe it. Our benefits aren't "top tier" anymore (despite what is said), they are average. And I can't speak for all areas, but the feeling is that something is off with the metrics when we keep losing our best and brightest to other companies.

Just my 2 cents.
Hold off judgement until you get to see the new web page that shows you how great you have it/

BTW, I'm not kidding. That was the answer from HR.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Just my 2 cents.

It mystifies me that execs still have this kind of attitude that is so dismissive and attempts to invalidate what - based on the engagement numbers you shared alone - are probably widespread sentiments. At least give it lip service. 'We are constantly evaluating the effectiveness and impact of our current hybrid system. We have no immediate plans to alter, but are always open to feedback on everyone's experience.
"We believe we are very competitive when it comes to pay/benefits and are always working with our partners to identify ways to further improve the offerings to our employees."

Reactions: Bigman38 and wxman1

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Hold off judgement until you get to see the new web page that shows you how great you have it/

BTW, I'm not kidding. That was the answer from HR.

Sure you're forced to commute to the office at a cost of time, money, and effort, but it's for the best.

Plus we're a family here! We enjoy being with our coworkers!

I really had an employer defend lower salaries because the employees "liked each other"

pfgemployee

Mar 20, 2009
My recommendation is that as soon as your company says they are going public, find a different job. The day your company goes public, things will only get worse. I can only think of one thing that is better since the company has went public and that's the day care. I'm guessing the day care also gets removed in the future when a certain persons grandkids stop going there.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
idk what pfg is but it sounds like a terrible place to work. do you have to wear a suit? do they give you a company truck? have you worn the same sweatpants every day this week? are you able to hit the vape at 3 pm?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sure you're forced to commute to the office at a cost of time, money, and effort, but it's for the best.

Plus we're a family here! We enjoy being with our coworkers!

I really had an employer defend lower salaries because the employees "liked each other"
I've seen it phrased - to me - as "well it's not just about the money"
Bro, I'm not here everyday just because I love the tepid coffee and Excel spreadsheets that much.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Just my 2 cents.
You want to make engagement & job satisfaction even worse? Totally ignore the dropping results!

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It mystifies me that execs still have this kind of attitude that is so dismissive and attempts to invalidate what - based on the engagement numbers you shared alone - are probably widespread sentiments. At least give it lip service. 'We are constantly evaluating the effectiveness and impact of our current hybrid system. We have no immediate plans to alter, but are always open to feedback on everyone's experience.
"We believe we are very competitive when it comes to pay/benefits and are always working with our partners to identify ways to further improve the offerings to our employees."

Sounds like the employees should spend a lot of time building relationships and collaborating.

To the point where very little is accomplished during office days and everything it put on the board from your home office.