Principal Financial-Remote work

pfgemployee

Mar 20, 2009
Well if you got hired for 100% remote work, you better hope you don't work within 30 miles of Des Moines. During the pandemic, Principal went out on hiring spree where they recruited a ton of IT help across the country. Now if you live within 30 miles of Des Moines, even if you were promised to be 100% full time remote, you now have to go back into the office. So if you live 35 miles from Des Moines, we think you can do your job from home but if you live in beaverdale, get the **** in the office.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well if you got hired for 100% remote work, you better hope you don't work within 30 miles of Des Moines. During the pandemic, Principal went out on hiring spree where they recruited a ton of IT help across the country. Now if you live within 30 miles of Des Moines, even if you were promised to be 100% full time remote, you now have to go back into the office. So if you live 35 miles from Des Moines, we think you can do your job from home but if you live in beaverdale, get the **** in the office.
My company is doing the same thing. Root cause, too many people abusing it.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Well the good news is that Beaverdale to downtown commute is pretty sweet.

My company is still holding true to remote work. Like I told my boss, "I can either call you in San Diego from home or the Loop."

So far they've allowed me to cut the 3 hour daily commute

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
IMO, so wrong on so many levels. Basically, that means they're admitting they can't manage the process. In effect, they're poorly run. What I found most astounding is that Zoom is now requiring their employees back in the office. In essence, saying our own product can't supplant in office operations. Wow!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My company is doing the same thing. Root cause, too many people abusing it.

Also, the City of Des Moines is begging these companies to bring people back to Downton. Certain businesses are really struggling since many of the companies went remote. There's a direct correlation to down town DSM going to sh!t and when these companies went remote.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My theory on all of this is that C Suite people often work by doing drive-bys with each other, having each other available for face-to-face discussions at any time, and generally have to be in the office.

As such, they think people can't be effective or efficient without doing those same things. In IT specifically, most people are actually more productive without those distractions. Example: Studies have demonstrated the huge loss of productivity from a developer having to change focus.

It's a combination of older people being in Exec positions, and the style of Execs interacting that drive so much of this... in my opinion and experience.

Last edited:

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
We let the lease go on our main office to save $$, so no chance of getting called back in. I have a feeling Principal is tired of maintaining an empty office building. Also, downtown DM is a ghost town these days. I'm sure the restaurants that have managed to stay open are happy with Principal's decision.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sounds like bad management. I manage remote workers and I'm happy as long as they're meeting their project deadlines. I don't care when they're actually doing the work. Meet your deadlines and I'm happy.
I totally agree. I’ve been through a little of this and they didn’t say it but this what the reason I felt bothered the big wigs more than anything.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I totally agree. I’ve been through a little of this and they didn’t say it but this what the reason I felt bothered the big wigs more than anything.
The company I work for I'm pretty sure just loses a whole bunch of tax breaks for the commercial space they lease.

Reactions: cowgirl836

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My theory on all of this is that C Suite people often work by doing drive-bys with each other, having each other available for face-to-face discussions at any time, and generally have to be in the office.

As such, they think people can't be effective or efficient without doing those same things. In IT specifically, most people are actually more productive without those distractions. Example: Studies have demonstrated the huge loss of productivity from a developer having to change focus.

It's a combination of older people being in Exec positions, and the style of Execs interacting that drive so much of this... in my opinion and experience.
I agree - but in addition I also have a theory that the people who are promoted - especially to the C-Suite level - are extroverts (often extreme extroverts). They require the personal interaction to drive their energy levels for the day, they thrive off of it and fundamentally don't understand how anyone (us introverts) can operate without that endorphin boost they get from the personal interactions.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Are people not getting their work done on time?
In my experience during 'business as usual' wfh is fine, it is more like when **** hits the fan and people need to be on site to react, they still stay home. Also a lot of leaders who should be on site more are not coming in at all.

Also stop skateboarding on my sidewalk.....