Principal Financial-Remote work

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If someone doesn't want to do their job making them come into the office isn't going to change that. People can **** around and be unproductive in the office too. I've seen it plenty.

I'm less productive in an office.

The distractions are impossible to keep out. Our company has a policy saying we are not to attend meetings if we don't believe there's a benefit and it's acceptable to leave the call if it's not beneficial.

How many goddam meetings have we all been stuck in because of obligation even when there's nothing in it for us? Stuck sitting there trying not to yawn.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I agree - but in addition I also have a theory that the people who are promoted - especially to the C-Suite level - are extroverts (often extreme extroverts). They require the personal interaction to drive their energy levels for the day, they thrive off of it and fundamentally don't understand how anyone (us introverts) can operate without that endorphin boost they get from the personal interactions.

And it's a lot of men - particularly white - who have a lot of support at home. Some of the biggest promoters at my last place were empty nesters who didn't want to be home alone all day (spouse worked an onsite job) but going to the office where everyone else was at home didn't fly either.

Ton of it also comes down to micromanagement and a lack of trust.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
So if you live 35 miles from Des Moines, we think you can do your job from home but if you live in beaverdale, get the **** in the office.

Google says I am 32 miles from 801 Grand. Would think about applying, but I already work 100% remote and my boss is in New Zealand, so my remote status is probably safe for a while :)

H

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Also, the City of Des Moines is begging these companies to bring people back to Downton. Certain businesses are really struggling since many of the companies went remote. There's a direct correlation to down town DSM going to sh!t and when these companies went remote.

There are other cities (I think NYC is one) where the push to get people back in the office is explicitly to help adjacent businesses such as hospitality.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I recently read something about companies with flexible work situations showing greater growth and the five day in the office ones having trouble hiring.

I think management types just are control freaks trying to justify their own positions. If the work gets done right, who cares where it gets done?

That mile thing is bogus too. Should be based more on rush hour time it takes than miles.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
And it's a lot of men - particularly white - who have a lot of support at home. Some of the biggest promoters at my last place were empty nesters who didn't want to be home alone all day (spouse worked an onsite job) but going to the office where everyone else was at home didn't fly either.

Ton of it also comes down to micromanagement and a lack of trust.
Are you telling me c suite guys don't provide 400x worth the value of the average worker and in reality they're just glad handing morons who struggle to look busy?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
There are other cities (I think NYC is one) where the push to get people back in the office is explicitly to help adjacent businesses such as hospitality.

We had a team meeting last year in our downtown office.

It's definitely changed. There were more empty storefronts by my office.

Been downtown once since March 2020 and that's plenty

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
In my experience during 'business as usual' wfh is fine, it is more like when **** hits the fan and people need to be on site to react, they still stay home. Also a lot of leaders who should be on site more are not coming in at all.

Also stop skateboarding on my sidewalk.....
That’s piss poor management though. Return to the office is just an excuse for poor management abilities. Competent managers can manage flexible work schedules. If people need to be in the office for something it is the managers responsibility to manage that requirement.

Does anyone have the actual new policy?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How many days are you required to be in the office?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I haven't been to our home office in over 3 years. They went through a flash flood and they moved finally. Perks of working remote for a less than 20 employee company that is based in St. Louis.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
not speaking for IT, but for everyone else there are repercussions for companies that do not have employees in the office. For one, there is less mentoring going on, so younger or newer people are not learning at the rate they should be or are making mistakes that if they were in direct contact with a mentor would have been avoid. The others are company culture and positive benefits of collaboration, people feeding off of each other. The happy medium is probably let employees work from home one or two days a week and be in the office at other times.

It is essential for cities like Des Moines to have a strong and healthy core. The companies want access to young talent. Yes young people like the idea of working from home, but they also want to live in cities with an active arts and music scene. It takes a strong core to make that happen. If things fall apart in the core, it makes it way harder for companies to recruit talent, they will just lose out to Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, Denver etc.. Des Moines went through this decades ago, the civic leaders and business leaders recognized they had a problem in that there was a brain drain, they were losing talent to other places. So they hired a consultant who told them to reverse this trend, they had better create an environment and invest in a healthy arts and music scene. They did it and it worked.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We went back one day per week in April 2022. There’s rumblings that they are going to go to 2 days next year. Before covid I worked from home two days a week, so I hope we don’t go back to that.

Overall, I just wish everyone was more flexible. I get the argument that new employees need to be in the office a bit more. So if people that work from home would understand about having to come into the office more often for a while if they are training somebody, companies might not call everyone back for a lot of days.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Are you telling me c suite guys don't provide 400x worth the value of the average worker and in reality they're just glad handing morons who struggle to look busy?

That comment is legit triggering, lol. Flashbacked to the idiot in the office who spent their time wandering from office to office blathering inaccurately about one topic or another. After covid, was a big proponent of office work. For the "interactions". Yeah. Because that's all you did. Coworkers literally Teams each other warning that they were walking toward their cube.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Wife's company had record profits during the last few years while everyone was 100% remote. Now they are trying to require people be in the office 3 days a week and are getting lots of pushback. They are even trying to tie attendance to bonuses. Already lost some good employees because they didn't want to deal with that nonsense. So ******* stupid

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Bingo.

Wife and I recently stayed downtown during the week. We were amazed at how eerily quiet it was during the day.

H

The day that I am downtown, everything seems pretty busy. The skywalk has been filled with people the last few months.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
On my team I am the only one actually in Des Moines (office is here), my boss is in Charlotte, one coworker in NJ, another in Maryland, and another in Cedar Rapids. It would be stupid for me to go to the office to still do the same Teams calls I do from my home office.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Husband’s work decided to let people in his position company wide go remote after Covid restrictions were lifted.

Only one person does his job in each of their facilities and they have found work from home easier to cover for each other when someone is taking time off or is ill. He finds that the dog and I interrupt him less than his coworkers and those they serve did when he was driving two hours every day.

People still call a lot with questions cause he is the most experienced person at his job, but less drop ins asking how about them Hawks?

Help Support Us

Become a patron