Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The unnamed equity partner is going to be the most important part because TKO only has a 13bil valuation. If they aren’t making money off the media rights that are already secured what is the point of this? Truly asking because it makes zero sense and obv the source is almost always wrong.

I’d imagine the partner would have to be a network such as Apple or Amazon to make this work. Cause getting those three conferences that span the country is a way to get you to the big boy table real fast. And those would be the only network names that have the capital to do such a thing.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I’d imagine the partner would have to be a network such as Apple or Amazon to make this work. Cause getting those three conferences that span the country is a way to get you to the big boy table real fast. And those would be the only network names that have the capital to do such a thing.
These discussions would certainly amp up the need for Amazon to buy CFB/CBB inventory if this transaction is consumated.

And it is no secret that if Apple wants to expand into more live sports, those dormant PACN production assets would be of extreme value.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
PAC will retain vote if 10 schools from B12/ACC pool are realigned to PAC which is a presumed condition of the merger that will maintain a 3 vs 2 voting majority vs B10/SEC from the merged entity of 3 conferences.
Wait what? How are you getting those 10 schools back? You can’t break the GOR to realign those schools without FSU and the others bolting. Even if you shuffled the 6 PAC schools back, which they might not want to do where are the other 2 coming from?

I just don’t see how that works but maybe I’m missing something

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If they wanted that they could have just bid on the pac with Oregon/Washington and the Big12. Also they can’t just break their current deals with ESPN to put games on one of those platforms I don’t think.

Honestly given the source it not even worth speculating but just don’t know how that realistically works.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If they wanted that they could have just bid on the pac with Oregon/Washington and the Big12. Also they can’t just break their current deals with ESPN to put games on one of those platforms I don’t think.

Honestly given the source it not even worth speculating but just don’t know how that realistically works.

This makes sense to me. Nothing is going to happen until the current media deals are close to being complete. So these discussions will probably pick up again in 4ish years to figure out what the next iteration of media deals looks like.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wait what? How are you getting those 10 schools back? You can’t break the GOR to realign those schools without FSU and the others bolting. Even if you shuffled the 6 PAC schools back, which they might not want to do where are the other 2 coming from?

I just don’t see how that works but maybe I’m missing something
I think it means you take the 2 leftovers, the 2 in the ACC and the 4 in the big 12 and then add 2 from the big12/ACC and have 10 there. Basically take the leftover PAC, ACC, and big 12 and make 3 somewhat equal conferences.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think it means you take the 2 leftovers, the 2 in the ACC and the 4 in the big 12 and then add 2 from the big12/ACC and have 10 there. Basically take the leftover PAC, ACC, and big 12 and make 3 somewhat equal conferences.
But you can’t let anyone leave the ACC otherwise FSU bolts immediately. Also who is paying for the left overs in that PAC conference? No one wanted them in the first place so how does further diluting that somehow increase their payouts? Also who would willingly leave from the big12 or ACC to suffer in the PAC?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I think the long-term best case scenario for the sport is the top 60 or-so programs split off into a new college football league where all of these new rules (transfers, paying players, etc.) are regulated and teams play regionally. There's also a fair playoff where legacy bowl-game venues could potentially be worked in as first or second round locations.

However I think the "haves" will not agree to this as they have the current system pretty-well rigged, so the sport will likely fracture and the Big 12 will be in the position to create this league (minus the Texas, Ohio States, etc.).

Reactions: dafarmer

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

ACC (and GOR) would legally dissolve (voiding ESPN contract), if necessary, under the condition the conference would be reinstated under the merged entity and all 14 existing schools would be in the merged entity (all 14 have to agree to void GOR in the first place). 3 conferences could be realigned as follows:

PAC: Wazzu, ORSt, Stanford, Cal, AZ St, Zona, UU, BYU, CU, KSU, KU, ISU
B12: TX/OK schools + NE schools => TT, BU, TCU, SMU, UH, OKSt, WV, UC, UL, Pitt, Cuse, BC
ACC: Miami FL, FSU, UCF, GT, Clemson, UNC, Wake, Duke, NCSt, UVa, VT, ND (excluding FB)

ESPN/Fox would have option to retain B12 inventory under their new deal. Everything else would be bid out under the new merged entity.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But you can’t let anyone leave the ACC otherwise FSU bolts immediately. Also who is paying for the left overs in that PAC conference? No one wanted them in the first place so how does further diluting that somehow increase their payouts? Also who would willingly leave from the big12 or ACC to suffer in the PAC?
Hey bud, I was just deciphering the post, I have no clue about their specifics nor am I saying I agree with the idea

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

You are discounting the possibility that MHver3 is making all of it up. Which if you know the guy, is 1000% likely.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
ACC (and GOR) would legally dissolve (voiding ESPN contract), if necessary, under the condition the conference would be reinstated under the merged entity and all 14 existing schools would be in the merged entity (all 14 have to agree to void GOR in the first place). 3 conferences could be realigned as follows:

PAC: Wazzu, ORSt, Stanford, Cal, AZ St, Zona, UU, BYU, CU, KSU, KU, ISU
B12: TX/OK schools + NE schools => TT, BU, TCU, SMU, UH, OKSt, WV, UC, UL, Pitt, Cuse, BC
ACC: Miami FL, FSU, UCF, GT, Clemson, UNC, Wake, Duke, NCSt, UVa, VT, ND (excluding FB)

ESPN/Fox would have option to retain B12 inventory under their new deal. Everything else would be bid out under the new merged entity.
That would suck.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Amazon/Apple are key on the potential $$$ input. But, even bigger is the current Disney/ESPN liabilities. It's reasonable to think ESPN may be squirming a bit with the massive Disney devaluation over the past 3 years. That, to me, is the sole reason ESPN is NOT anxious to fund FSU move to higher $$$ SEC. AND, if the situation is dire enough, I can see ESPN trying to recoup some of its extended liabilities. Which only increases the odds of the mega conference under different funding ventures. Regardless, it's back room talk for the next few years. I like the potential here because it'll put big time pressure on the B1G/SEC to play fairly.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

It would require complete dissolution of the conferences. At which point, the contracts are voided. Then the teams would re-arrange in geographical conferences under one TV contract. If I’m reading into this correctly.

But, yes I don’t know how this would be different other than this is an opportunity to go all in rather than piece by piece for each conference. This would drive a big blow to ESPN, leaving them just the SEC. So, I guess if their goal is to try a complete takeover, this would be an interesting opening salvo.

And of course, this is just internet rumors that probably came out of someone’s parents basement. But I’ve seen worse proposals out there. And this would fix many of the ills of CFB, so I’d like to believe there is a sliver of a chance this is real.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
You are discounting the possibility that MHver3 is making all of it up. Which if you know the guy, is 1000% likely.
He certainly has a WV bias and WV would love to be aligned with the NE schools from the ACC.

That said, FSU/Clemson/UNC are presumably exploring all of their options to improve their revenue situation through 2036 without paying $500M+ each in ACC GOR buyout fees. And this merger may be a plausible process to do that while ridding the B12 and ACC of their projected and disjointed geographic clustereffs, potentially increasing their projected payouts and maintaining majority voting power vs the B10/SEC in what will be a massive increase in the CFP revenue pie to divide up.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Amazon/Apple are key on the potential $$$ input. But, even bigger is the current Disney/ESPN liabilities. It's reasonable to think ESPN may be squirming a bit with the massive Disney devaluation over the past 3 years. That, to me, is the sole reason ESPN is NOT anxious to fund FSU move to higher $$$ SEC. AND, if the situation is dire enough, I can see ESPN trying to recoup some of its extended liabilities. Which only increases the odds of the mega conference under different funding ventures. Regardless, it's back room talk for the next few years. I like the potential here because it'll put big time pressure on the B1G/SEC to play fairly.

Wouldn't it be great if this great TKO reset happens and Apple saves the PAC remnants

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Put me in the skeptical camp.

If the Big 10/ SEC add schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc. they are offering those schools 100% more than current ACC/Big10 TV deals.

Plus, equity partners want a substantial return on investment. Not seeing how having equity players suddenly create value for Big 12/ACC.

IMO a single 40-60 team CFB "league" makes more sense. Just a matter if Ohio State, Bama, Texas, USC, etc. are willing to share with a bigger pool of schools. The key is if one league means more $ to TV partners.

• Winner
Reactions: Big_Sill

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron