Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
ESPN and SEC can't even reach agreement on ESPN paying extra for a 9th conference game amongst the existing 16 SEC schools. Not sure if that is due to ESPN cash flow issues or SEC demanding more money than ESPN is willing to pay. So there is now no way the SEC expands in the foreseeable future.

I think that's because the SEC is purposefully asking for too much from ESPN for a 9th conference game. They know that their weak 4th non-conference game supports the allure that the SEC is the top conference due to their padded W record.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Disney stock down 50% from 2021. If things don't dramatically turn for them, trust me ESPN will be either shopped or trimmed. Contract expansion on an already debt ridden network would not be something Iger will stomach. IMO SEC stays pat. B1G on the other hand would love some SE representation. This is gonna get very interesting.
The Big Ten doesn't have an ESPN deal. ESPNs financial situation is, more or less, irrelevant to them and that's why their deal is so much better long term than the SECs is.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
this gonzaga talk has quieted down a bit, no?

I think they're waiting on what happens with the Pac2/Mountain West thing to resolve itself before they make a decision. If that shakes out right that might be their preference from a travel perspective and it's a definite step up from the WCC.
I think the ongoing negotiations between Fox and the Big East to extend their BB contract may have Gonzaga in play. Those negotiations could also impact UConn's future in the Big East given the B12 could be an alternative.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I think the ongoing negotiations between Fox and the Big East to extend their BB contract may have Gonzaga in play. Those negotiations could also impact UConn's future in the Big East given the B12 could be an alternative.
UConn isn't leaving the Big East unless somebody gives them a football home.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I think that's because the SEC is purposefully asking for too much from ESPN for a 9th conference game. They know that their weak 4th non-conference game supports the allure that the SEC is the top conference due to their padded W record.
Greg Sankey wants the 9th game so that "allure" you refer to is overrated BS IMO. He is being blocked by some lower tier SEC programs that don't want the extra L.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
UConn isn't leaving the Big East unless somebody gives them a football home.
Not so sure about that if Fox lowballs the Big East on the new deal. And that is a possibility now that Fox has the vast majority of B10 BB inventory and additional B12 BB inventory.

The Big East could end up on ESPN if that is the case.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
i have no idea what any of this means

TKO owns UFC and WWE. The thought is a "merger" of PAC-Big12-ACC (or affiliation) with TKO as an equity partner

He's been hitting this a lot lately. ACC and Big 12 know there would be a future showdown between them unless the leagues have an affiliation and TKO (and the unnamed partner) in the mix.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
why would they buy pac its dead
I think the idea is that preserving 3 conferences in a merger of sorts would maintain 3 playoff berths. From that perspective, it makes a lot more sense to split 30ish teams up into 3 conferences that collectively bargain together than 1 large conference.

That said, I think the autobid for the playoff will be short lived anyway.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Probable this is fan fiction, but could something like this be remotely viable?
I don't have a clue on how the TKO relationship would work and the benefits of doing so.

But I really like the idea of a B12/PAC/ACC merger where you would have 3 geographically aligned conferences of 11-12 schools each under one umbrella for TV/Media negotiations where enhanced negotiating leverage is provided for all 35 schools. Of even more benefit is retaining a voting majority of 3 votes on CFP matters vs 2 votes for the B10 and SEC as well as a presumed CFP revenue allocation of 3 out of 5 shares. Such a merger would have to include FSU/UNC/Clemson signing on for an extended GOR for at least as long as the existing ACC GOR through 2036. And given their ACC GOR buyout obstacles and rumored unwillingness of SEC/ESPN to expand anytime soon, this scenario may be the best alternative for FSU/UNC/Clemson to enhance their revenue streams.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Probable this is fan fiction, but could something like this be remotely viable?

The unnamed equity partner is going to be the most important part because TKO only has a 13bil valuation. If they aren’t making money off the media rights that are already secured what is the point of this? Truly asking because it makes zero sense and obv the source is almost always wrong.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don't have a clue on how the TKO relationship would work and the benefits of doing so.

But I really like the idea of a B12/PAC/ACC merger where you would have 3 geographically aligned conferences of 11-12 schools each under one umbrella for TV/Media negotiations where enhanced negotiating leverage is provided for all 35 schools. Of even more benefit is retaining a voting majority of 3 votes on CFP matters vs 2 votes for the B10 and SEC as well as a presumed CFP revenue allocation of 3 out of 5 shares. Such a merger would have to include FSU/UNC/Clemson signing on for an extended GOR for at least as long as the existing ACC GOR through 2036. And given their ACC GOR buyout obstacles and rumored unwillingness of SEC/ESPN to expand anytime soon, this scenario may be the best alternative for FSU/UNC/Clemson to enhance their revenue streams.
PAC isn’t going to be given a vote in another year or two, there are only two schools playing a MW schedule left.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
PAC isn’t going to be given a vote in another year or two, there are only two schools playing a MW schedule left.
PAC will retain vote if 10 schools from B12/ACC pool are realigned to PAC which is a presumed condition of the merger that will maintain a 3 vs 2 voting majority vs B10/SEC from the merged entity of 3 conferences.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The unnamed equity partner is going to be the most important part because TKO only has a 13bil valuation. If they aren’t making money off the media rights that are already secured what is the point of this? Truly asking because it makes zero sense and obv the source is almost always wrong.
It is no secret that FSU was searching for equity partners in their efforts to fund a buyout from the ACC GOR.

I am assuming and it is plausible that Yormark/Phillips are doing likewise in order to benefit not only FSU but the other 34 schools in the PAC/B12/ACC.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It is no secret that FSU was searching for equity partners in their efforts to fund a buyout from the ACC GOR.

I am assuming and it is plausible that Yormark/Phillips are doing likewise in order to benefit not only FSU but the other 34 schools in the PAC/B12/ACC.

Yormark is the guy I want on our team.

This stuff seems right in his wheelhouse