Defensive Philosophy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Have never been a fan of the 3-3-5 formation.
  1. IMO it is a finesse defense (bend/don't break) and LB/DB's have to be overly aggressive to be a solid run-stopping defense.
  2. Campbell talks about being a physical team and I don't feel a 3 man defensive line meets that mantra.
  3. An aggressive pass-rush is the best pass defense. And creates negative yardage plays.
  4. A 3 man rush leaves wide passing lanes for the QB to throw.
  5. Using a spy is a waste of a defender. He's not rushing the passer AND too shallow to be in pass defense against even shallow crossing routes.
  6. Defensive lineman who are 6'4"+ and 250+ lbs are more physical and better trained to be pass rushers than LB's ad DB's.
  7. It is not a blitz to send 3 DL and 1 LB/DB against 5 OL and RB and maybe TE.
  8. Our OL has struggled for much of Campbell's tenure. Does playing a 3 man d-line impact the development of a quality OL?
I feel like there was a time when the 3-3-5 worked because it was unique, but seems like teams have adjusted and identified its weaknesses. Or maybe teams with certain playing styles and strengths can more-easily take advantage of the 3-3-5.

I would love for ISU to adopt a 4-2-5. It would allow ISU to be more physical along the line-of-scrimmage AND still allow one of the safeties to be strong at run support.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
So easy to see the opposing QB drop back. No rush and drop a 7-8 yard pass in the middle all day. Bend but don't brake you say.....

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Another thing I notice about our 3 man front, we knock down very few passes. You watch teams with 4 or 5 men on the defensive line. They get hands up and take away passing lanes. NFL teams notably. A lot of tipped passes. We get practically none. Opposing QBs have unrestricted view and easy throwing lanes. To make that work, you must have DBs that can cover like a blanket. Today we were missing our top two, but guys that good are not easy to find, or keep!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Understand we have a young D but I’m fed up our 3-deep safety look. Can we please make an adjustment ?!?!

We have allowed 35 and 36 points in past two games.
Zero sacks
Rarely any pressures
Short yardage stack the box!

We don't have a lot of talent. If you have an extra 50 grand sitting around, you could help change that if you care enough. :D

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
  1. IMO it is a finesse defense (bend/don't break) and LB/DB's have to be overly aggressive to be a solid run-stopping defense.
  2. Campbell talks about being a physical team and I don't feel a 3 man defensive line meets that mantra.
  3. An aggressive pass-rush is the best pass defense. And creates negative yardage plays.
  5. Using a spy is a waste of a defender. He's not rushing the passer AND too shallow to be in pass defense against even shallow crossing routes.
  6. Defensive lineman who are 6'4"+ and 250+ lbs are more physical and better trained to be pass rushers than LB's ad DB's.
  8. Our OL has struggled for much of Campbell's tenure. Does playing a 3 man d-line impact the development of a quality OL?
I feel like there was a time when the 3-3-5 worked because it was unique, but seems like teams have adjusted and identified its weaknesses. Or maybe teams with certain playing styles and strengths can more-easily take advantage of the 3-3-5.

I would love for ISU to adopt a 4-2-5. It would allow ISU to be more physical along the line-of-scrimmage AND still allow one of the safeties to be strong at run support.
I second this. Very well said.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Players, formations, plays...

We don't have the players to get pressure with three, so WTF are we doing keeping the same formation when there is no Will McDonald or Jaquon Bailey to get pressure?

WeWill either has to go shopping for a couple NFL capable pass rushers, or we need to change up our defense.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009

Turns out rushing 3 works a hell of a lot better when one of the ends is a generational pass rusher.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and joefrog

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Players, formations, plays...

We don't have the players to get pressure with three, so WTF are we doing keeping the same formation when there is no Will McDonald or Jaquon Bailey to get pressure?

WeWill either has to go shopping for a couple NFL capable pass rushers, or we need to change up our defense.
ISU will never be able to get an NFL level pass rusher out of the portal. Those guys are going to the blue bloods that can drop big time NIL checks.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We're a different team without TJ Tampa for sure (not to mention Verdon). TJ basically erased an option from the pattern on every play. Losing that takes a serious adjustment, but also, give that Memphis QB his due, he was throwing some strikes all game (short and deep).
Those 2 are probably the most athletically talented defenders. Take them off the board and all that is left is scheme, discipline, and effort.
DL. The big 3 are good, but not good enough to dominate LOS, especially once tired. Not enough depth to keep them fresh.
LB. Bacon is the best LB we got. He is a walk on and is too slow to start anywhere else. But he goes 100% all the time. Miracle he stayed healthy all year. Sawdowski is NOT the next Mike Rose, but the staff seems to be betting the future on him.
C. Pretty good, some depth. Losing TJT hurts, but the drop off isnt terrible.
S. Scheme relies HEAVILY on the safeties being excellent. And the big 3 are great. But the drop off from those 3 to next man in is shocking.

Overall, theres just too many talent holes to paper over. That said, you dont need to fix them all, but man, you gotta fix a couple. They need a Big12 level LB and some DL depth in just the worst way.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006

Good post. #5 in particular. There were a few key plays when Lovett was in as a spy and he did not contribute anything. We effectively played a man short and gave up a 3rd and long or other big play each time.

Reactions: cymac2408