Liberty Bowl postgame thread

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Look at all the NFL talent he has had and hasn’t been able to put together a good year outside of 2020 COVID. Purdy arguable regressed during his four years in Ames. We haven’t had a good O-line during his tenure. Special teams are a disaster every year. Where is the development?
Lots of players emerging. This will be a deep team.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Getting talented people to come to ISU and being able to successfully coach them are 2 different things. If you look at the talent in the NFL and look at our record with them I don't see the tie in. I believe we should have been better. Penalties at terrible time, coverage errors, hundreds of missed blocking assignments(underestimate), and special teams debacles are just some of CMC coached teams trademarks, along with being ultraconservative. If we don't change the coach,change the process, learn from our mistakes instead of repeating them and calling it part of the "process".
Guess you better give up your season tickets. I’ll be there.

Reactions: HouClone and Cyhig

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Miller, Treiber, Huffird and Remsburg had such promise when they were freshman but the development has been nonexistent. We need talent on Oline that has proved itself before. Transfers. Also, linebackers just aren’t athletic enough.

Iowa State cannot show up in big games 99% of the time. It doesn’t matter what sport either. Never ready whether it’s prepared for opponent or mentally just can’t frickin do it.
I believe their record over the last 10 games vs top 10 opponents is 4-6. That’s very good

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’d like to hear a good reason as to why winning this bowl game truly matters. I’m having a hard time thinking of one…other than that winning is usually more fun than losing.

Why does winning any game matter? Why did winning the KSU game matter?

Winning these games or at least not putting on a terrible, boring performance is important to me because quite frankly I’m not going to another Iowa State bowl in a while. We consistently look unprepared and it’s been a bad experience.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Why does winning any game matter? Why did winning the KSU game matter?

Winning these games or at least not putting on a terrible, boring performance is important to me because quite frankly I’m not going to another Iowa State bowl in a while. We consistently look unprepared and it’s been a bad experience.
We look awful in any game that’s not against a Big 12 opponent under Campbell.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
1. Games like this make me want to just find a new way to spend my time.
2. Why does CMC seem to not have the team.ready for noncon games? Do they take a different approach to prep? Because ISU has been significantly worse in noncon games compared to conference games.
3. Rocco balled out with no help except for Higgins really. Imagine that game with below average QB play! It would have been 45 to 10.
4. The o-line should have to walk back to Ames. They reverted back to 2022 and Ohio game levels of incompetence. More whiffed blocks than well blocked plays. Were they hungover??
5. Defense has way too many young guys playing, but i am not at all confident in most of them taking the next step. Talent deficit. Scheme and discipine is all they got.
6. Defense gave up for a while yesterday mid game, effort was poor. Never seen that before. Even the veterans looked frustrated and unmotivated.
7. I think the staff may have gone all-in on Sama too early. Having one good game and then one great game in snowy conditions isnt exactly a guaranteed Troy Davis. Line was Zero yesterday but Sama didnt play well at all, he looked like he was trying to break one every time and that was the wrong thing to do. He may still be Breece 2.0 but he sure isnt 100% ready yet.
8. CMC record as a favorite might be below .500?
9. ISU looked like a team full of themselves, thought theyd just show up and collect their trophy. Memphis played like this was their conference championship game. Memphis looked prepared and motivated. ISU looked like neither.
10. No idea why they brought back the "bring everyone into the phone booth" run scheme. Nightmare.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Purdy didn’t develop (given his dad, I’m optimistic Rocco will)

WR development has been poor.

OL woefully bad

Defense definitely develops guys, that’s true.

This staff knows defense. They don’t know offense imo, just trying to follow a recipe

Purdy had to adjust and develop his game over 4 years, and was highly successful doing so. We have 2 NFL WR right now, with pretty good ones on the roster for next year. Jesus get a grip

May 7, 2020
We have a great young team with an incredibly bright future. We will learn from this and move forward. Next year we will be in a better bowl game and win. This was all part of the experience . The sky is the limit.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I kind of feel like a consequence of people saying "oh it's a bowl game, it doesn't matter if you get blown out" might be fewer fans continuing to show up, no? Paying to watch something you are told doesn't matter is gonna have diminishing returns.
This is true. Then combine it with general bowl game fatigue and uninspiring bowl locations and attendance has certainly dropped and will continue to get worse — for ISU and seemingly every program. With 40+ bowl games your team makes it at 6-6 and sometimes even 5-7. So will fans continue to do expensive travel over the holidays when their team is going to its 12th bowl game in 13 years with none of them being playoff games?

Jaws73

Dec 5, 2011
The faking taking a knee before half was a bush league play. I think it should be banned. It is similiar to faking a slide by a runner. It happened few years ago in ACC title game. The runner faked a slide and kept on running. The NCAA banned it a few weeks later.
If the defensive lineman just played it like normal play. You would get uncessary roughness penalty. If indeed he takes knee. If you notice in the play the officials were in closer then normal.
I know in high school. The offensive player just says we are going to take a knee. We let defense know. Then ball is snapped and clock runs out.
Now should I just let it play out like a normal play? I am a hgh school referee. I haven't ever seen a fake in that situation. We might see it now.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
I get what you're saying, but the ISU fanbase doesn't have the cash for football. We suck at football. We are who we are. We're not getting kicked out of the Big 12 because of that however. So why waste so much money on football?

Hopefully the college football world will come to their senses and force the NCAA and/or conferences to pay the players. Not the fans. Put a salary cap in place and really crack down on "outside" money.

Is that ever going to happen? Fu$k no. The college football world is too stupid and greedy.

If we want to spend our hard earned money on spoiled athletes, it might as well be basketball. At least we would have a chance.
Memphis and Ohio do not have more 'cash' than we do, yet kicked the snot out of us this year. Our problem is coaching and details. Watch a team like Iowa - rarely do they beat themselves. If they lose, usually the other team is simply better/has more talent. And rarely are they unprepared for a game, unlike our coaching staff.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
The faking taking a knee before half was a bush league play. I think it should be banned. It is similiar to faking a slide by a runner. It happened few years ago in ACC title game. The runner faked a slide and kept on running. The NCAA banned it a few weeks later.
If the defensive lineman just played it like normal play. You would get uncessary roughness penalty. If indeed he takes knee. If you notice in the play the officials were in closer then normal.
I know in high school. The offensive player just says we are going to take a knee. We let defense know. Then ball is snapped and clock runs out.
Now should I just let it play out like a normal play? I am a hgh school referee. I haven't ever seen a fake in that situation. We might see it now.
Meh. If ISU ran that you’d be loving it.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I kind of feel like a consequence of people saying "oh it's a bowl game, it doesn't matter if you get blown out" might be fewer fans continuing to show up, no? Paying to watch something you are told doesn't matter is gonna have diminishing returns.
They only "don't matter" when you lose them. Otherwise you are told what a huge difference going into the off season there is between 8-5 and 7-6 from all the Cyclone podcasters and get videos from the AD how super important it is for everyone to take their time and money to be at them.

I'm cool if people are telling themselves "lol nothing matters" today out of a need to cope, but we should call it what it is. Iowa State was unprepared for this one and looked bad because of it. That's all.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I mostly agree with you on this however, the play yesterday was within the current rules, and smart by them.

My biggest beef: That play SHOULD have absolutely lit a massive fire in our hearts and pissed our entire staff and team off…. It didn’t. I actually thought them running that play might be the key to our comeback win.