Liberty Bowl postgame thread

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
So how do we, as message board posters, manifest a national championship? Do we just all make really negative posts after losses and the team/coaches will feel that and play better?
Give thousands of extra dollars every year to buy better talent and coaching. Good luck.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
You want them to block but you're not doing your part posting on message boards. 2,000 posts in 9 years? Are you even trying to build a winning program?

I've offered to take my shirt off if it will help the program.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I was maybe too hot headed last night. After a night of sleep I think my key take a ways remain largely the same, but maybe I should add some caveats to it.

-Campbell is the best coach in our history and has gotten us to the most consistent level of success, which I’m very thankful for being able to witness this program take a significant step forward.

-No, I do not think we need a coaching change at this time.

-I do have concerns that our weak points have been the same for the entirety of the Campbell tenure, and that may keep us from taking another step forward. Those being poor OL play and poor play calling/scheme.

-This past season it felt like maybe we had finally started to address those lingering issues. Clanton’s hire and the O-line did feel like it was progressing throughout the year. Nate’s hire and then the more creative scheme/play calling starting after the Ohio loss.

-Yesterday’s game felt like 5 steps back on all of the progress mentioned above, mainly around the OL. Zero run yards against a poor defense is beyond just a bad day in my opinion. The offense even though not as bad as the first three games also felt like it reversed to some of the old predictable run plays.

-Over the next 1-2 years we need to see progress regarding those too areas otherwise our program will have stalled at this 5-7 wins range for most years. Some of us may be ok given our horrid history when it comes to football. In my opinion I’d like to see our program take at least one more step forward to the point where we are reliably beating even good G5 programs as well as not being an afterthought when it comes to the future re-structuring of college football (which is a vague goal I know).

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
I am still trying to process that game. I get that bowl games don’t really matter and this game has no real bearing on next year. But, I also expected ISU to come out play well and win. This was my first time traveling to a bowl game and frankly seeing that sort of effort is pathetic.

I went to the pep rally and listened to how this was a special this team. I am struggling with how good we actually were. In reality, we beat a FBS team, 4 bad Big 12 teams, OSU and KSU. We caught OSU at the right time in the season. I am convinced that if we had played KSU in normal weather we would have lost by 10-14.

I think you could argue the only difference between this year and last year was QB play. A win yesterday would have helped convince me we were a good team. I get it’s an exhibition and doesn’t matter but frankly winning and losing does matter. Competing does matter and we just didn’t compete yesterday.

What bothers me the most is that we simply failed to show up against Iowa, Ohio, Kansas and Memphis. The O-line didn’t really improve. The defense is not deep and predictable. Special teams were better but yesterday didn’t play well.

I am still excited about next year mainly because of Roco, Samu, the receivers and tight ends. We could be 9-3 or 7-5. Campbell’s last few years would indicate 7-5 is more likely with several could’ve, would’ve and should’ve losses.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: isu81 and cyfanbr

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
-Over the next 1-2 years we need to see progress regarding those too areas otherwise our program will have stalled at this 5-7 wins range for most years.
ISU has won 7 or more games in all but one season since 2017. So, 5-7 is lower than what is happening with the program. Since 2017, ISU has become a solid 7-8 win program with three 7 win (2019, 2021 and 2023), two 8 win (2017 and 2018) and one 9 win (2020) seasons. 7 wins is happening regularly (with the exception of 2022 outlier) but moving up to 8, 9 and egad 10 wins is the hurdle. I think ISU is going to jump the hurdle this year. I think 8 or 9 regular season wins + a Bowl win is a reasonable expectation for the 2024 Iowa State Cyclones Football Team!

Reactions: cyfanbr and Cyhig

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Exhibition game some really good things, some things that need lots of work.

They will be picked probably to finish 5th or so in preseason poll.

No Texas or OU on schedule.

They played very well in conference against teams not named Texas or OU

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah you do. And it's the same reason ISU is perceived to struggle with lesser opponents all the time. The staff believes, or maybe wants to believe, that they have a talent advantage over some teams and can beat those teams straight up by calling a simple game plan and limiting their own mistakes. They want every game to be phonebooth football, because it would mean our guys would be physically and technically better than the guys they face on the other side of the ball. But in reality it makes ISU easier to defend and gives opponents confidence that they only need to hit one or two big plays to have a shot at victory.

PREACH THIS FROM THE MOUNTAINTOPS

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog and Jer

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I was maybe too hot headed last night. After a night of sleep I think my key take a ways remain largely the same, but maybe I should add some caveats to it.

-Campbell is the best coach in our history and has gotten us to the most consistent level of success, which I’m very thankful for being able to witness this program take a significant step forward.

-No, I do not think we need a coaching change at this time.

-I do have concerns that our weak points have been the same for the entirety of the Campbell tenure, and that may keep us from taking another step forward. Those being poor OL play and poor play calling/scheme.

-This past season it felt like maybe we had finally started to address those lingering issues. Clanton’s hire and the O-line did feel like it was progressing throughout the year. Nate’s hire and then the more creative scheme/play calling starting after the Ohio loss.

-Yesterday’s game felt like 5 steps back on all of the progress mentioned above, mainly around the OL. Zero run yards against a poor defense is beyond just a bad day in my opinion. The offense even though not as bad as the first three games also felt like it reversed to some of the old predictable run plays.

-Over the next 1-2 years we need to see progress regarding those too areas otherwise our program will have stalled at this 5-7 wins range for most years. Some of us may be ok given our horrid history when it comes to football. In my opinion I’d like to see our program take at least one more step forward to the point where we are reliably beating even good G5 programs as well as not being an afterthought when it comes to the future re-structuring of college football (which is a vague goal I know).
Everything you said is a fair assessment. I think 7+ wins should be the objective each season, with the occasional 9+ win season

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
With embarrassing losses to Ohio, Iowa, and Memphis in the non-conference. Pretty damn embarrassing the way the team played and was (not) prepared for those games, if you ask me.
Did you at least go directly to the players and tell them to play better after those losses? Not much sense in just saying it on a message board.