Cam Lard

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Why post this stuff? Kick a guy when he's down? Lord forbid you ever make a mistake and someone posts it on the internet just to generate some..... what? Feelings of self-importance for being the first to break the news?

Hope the best for Lard and that his life improves.

Everything posted on here is by law public record.

And nobody has said anything derogatory about Cameron.

We were mostly reminiscing about the outstanding flashes of talent he displayed during his tenure in Ames and lamenting how this has become a cautionary tale. Everybody feels bad for him.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Why post this stuff? Kick a guy when he's down? Lord forbid you ever make a mistake and someone posts it on the internet just to generate some..... what? Feelings of self-importance for being the first to break the news?

I mean its public information so whats the big deal?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Relax. No one is denigrating him. I liked Cam. We all hoped for the best.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

did i disparage him in anyway?

people bring up former players all the time.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Lard as a freshman was an elite offensive rebounder. Usually guys with that skill aren’t guys where you have to question their effort but he really fell out of favor with the previous staff.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Let’s be honest, it’s not like he can see it on this page.

Hope he gets his act straight

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014
Everything posted on here is by law public record.

And nobody has said anything derogatory about Cameron.

We were mostly reminiscing about the outstanding flashes of talent he displayed during his tenure in Ames and lamenting how this has become a cautionary tale. Everybody feels bad for him.
If Sigmapolis wrote a book, i would read it. That would be the first book i have ever read.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
His rebounding (especially offensive) numbers are just silly.

Rodman is the perfect comparison. No real basketball skills outside of being the best rebounder in the history of the game, crafty around the basket, smart about passing out of the block, and bad but not absolutely dreadful at free throws. He could have been that same thing for this generation.

Just don't ask him to dribble or shoot beyond the range of "dunk."

I don't think I've ever seen a Cyclone basketball player with more potential amount to less.

I don't know how well his attitude and TJ's want of... professionalism... about the program would have mixed. But, hey, we can dream. Maybe Cameron reacts to a more disciplined environment positively and starts to unlock his obvious potential. I'm sure Kyle Green could have done some amazing things with the raw material he provided assuming he buys into what TJ and KG and selling and dedicates himself to the game.

Alas. Nope.
Wilt Chamberlain was the best rebounder in NBA history.

Drop the recency bias.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
When I was his age I loitered in a no-loitering zone.
33409f6e-adb2-44d7-acd9-691a21cbd171_text.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He either would have thrived or sunk like a rock. Sometimes military level discipline can do wonders for someone like him.

Is TJ's style really military style though?

I guess it depends on the definition of that: TJ seems to have high expectations but done in a way that's still letting someone flourish within those expectations and he's straight forward with players.

I don't know how CSP established things but perhaps brutal cut and dry honest expectations would have helped Lard out.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Biggest mistake IMO that Prohm made trying to get this guy square. I know like all of us he saw incredible talent.....but the guy was a walking warning sign. Hindsight is always 20/20 but should have cut bait after April of 2018.

Reactions: chadly82

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Is TJ's style really military style though?

I guess it depends on the definition of that: TJ seems to have high expectations but done in a way that's still letting someone flourish within those expectations and he's straight forward with players.

I don't know how CSP established things but perhaps brutal cut and dry honest expectations would have helped Lard out.
It's pretty military. 'How you do anything is how you do everything' is the motto meaning they're basically graded on their entire lives. Boot camp in the summer, intense practices, sitting front row at class with attendance being taken.

Reactions: BigCyFan and NENick

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I remember he was a bright spot in the 2019 NCAA tournament against Ohio State. Wesson was killing us. Finally SP brought Lard in and lard started abusing Wesson, he was running him off the floor, getting him tired and in foul trouble. Lard was scoring, I think 8 points in a short amount of time. Trouble for that team was, they got away with what was working, they quit feeding Lard the ball, resorted to standing around on the perimeter with bad spacing and jacking 3s.