Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Things that aren't shocking for $500.

I bet that only added to the 'WTF?ism' for why he played so much with the Murray kids around.
Him and Patrick both. Iowa did fine with having Murray off the bench but there was absolutely zero reason that was happening two years ago.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think Baylor is that great defensively. In the past of course. That's what's been so weird about them past couple years is that they're a lot different than how they've been with Drew. They're a lot more offensive geared now imo
No, they are not great defensively. However they scouted BYU well and they made it extremely uncomfortable for them to get good looks from 3 last night. And they are long - they are always long - which even if not as good technically, still makes it a bit more difficult to find avenues to score.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Semantics. Nobody cares.
A players only meeting is about the players holding themselves and each other accountable and fixing the internal issues they are having. If it isn't a players only meeting, don't call it one because it isn't the same thing when it is top down or if they have others in the room. It could still be effective, but it isn't the same atmosphere and it isn't the same thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cydkar

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A players only meeting is about the players holding themselves and each other accountable and fixing the internal issues they are having. If it isn't a players only meeting, don't call it one because it isn't the same thing when it is top down or if they have others in the room. It could still be effective, but it isn't the same atmosphere and it isn't the same thing.
If the players wanted Connor to come in and speak in their player's only meeting, then who cares? The only thing I find weird about it is that he did come in and speak at all.

Reactions: OrangeCarrot

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Friendly Spartan, what kind of a crap show was that? That's a trash Iowa team.
Izzo has been washed since Covid. This team has been mismanaged to a horrific degree and he would be fired if he was any other coach. His seat is an inferno right now and he hasn’t played any of the stud young players we needed.

We had a top 5 recruiting class custom built to fill the holes we had and as an entire class they are averaging less then 2mins per game and less then 2 points.

It’s malpractice and she should be fired if he doesn’t change his staff or way of operating dramatically in the off season. Alumni and fans are livid

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Izzo has been washed since Covid. This team has been mismanaged to a horrific degree and he would be fired if he was any other coach. His seat is an inferno right now and he hasn’t played any of the stud young players we needed.

We had a top 5 recruiting class custom built to fill the holes we had and as an entire class they are averaging less then 2mins per game and less then 2 points.

It’s malpractice and she should be fired if he doesn’t change his staff or way of operating dramatically in the off season. Alumni and fans are livid

I agree. Losing to Iowa should be a fireable offense for any high major program as well as Eastern Illinois.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I agree. Losing to Iowa should be a fireable offense for any high major program as well as Eastern Illinois.
When you compare the talent there is no way that game should have been close. It’s all on coaching. Absolutely awful and possibly gave life to Iowa getting in the tournament which is also extremely annoying. Just finding new ways to lose all the time

Reactions: GTO and exCYtable

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Ben Krikke had 14 rebounds last night. You could make a case to fire Izzo on that fact alone.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
No, they are not great defensively. However they scouted BYU well and they made it extremely uncomfortable for them to get good looks from 3 last night. And they are long - they are always long - which even if not as good technically, still makes it a bit more difficult to find avenues to score.
They didn’t really make it difficult for BYU.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There is a 6’11 five star freshman and a 6’7 four/five star freshman who can jump out of the area just sitting on the bench for who knows what insane reason
Have you ever heard the name Omaha Biliew? Granted ISU is actually good with talented players in front of him, but the college game is an older players game now.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Have you ever heard the name Omaha Biliew? Granted ISU is actually good with talented players in front of him, but the college game is an older players game now.
Agree to disagree with that one but that’s kinda my point, the veterans are playing like trash so give the young kids more run.

If we were playing like you guys it would be different

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
When you compare the talent there is no way that game should have been close. It’s all on coaching. Absolutely awful and possibly gave life to Iowa getting in the tournament which is also extremely annoying. Just finding new ways to lose all the time
Seems like fran's really had his way with Izzo past 4-5 years. Michigan state used to be our kryptonite they'd beat us on the boards by about 15 and play a physical game we're never great at. Anymore the two mostly seem to play Iowa's style. You could argue no coach has been hurt more by the whole idea of the portal than Izzo. It goes against his whole identity of building teams that have been in program for 3-4 years and I think he struggles with trying not to coach his old way in fear of them leaving.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Agree to disagree with that one but that’s kinda my point, the veterans are playing like trash so give the young kids more run.

If we were playing like you guys it would be different

The game has passed Izzo by, that much is pretty apparent. Regardless, MSU losing to an Iowa team like that at home is not good. Couple that with how they lost to Iowa in Iowa City last year, and you really start to wonder.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The game has passed Izzo by, that much is pretty apparent. Regardless, MSU losing to an Iowa team like that at home is not good. Couple that with how they lost to Iowa in Iowa City last year, and you really start to wonder.
Plus the big ten is trash this year. The teams were dropping games to in conference aren’t even that good which makes the losses all the more annoying. Izzo is probably too stubborn to leave on a bad note but the AD is getting some real juice with how amazing his hires have turned out so he might be able to make a move

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And here I thought Omaha was one of the few five stars not playing. At least Omaha isn’t playing on a current top 10 team so ISU has an excuse.
There's definitely a good reason those two guys aren't playing for Sparty. People get caught up in recruiting rankings all the time, including me. They're incredibly fun during the recruiting cycles + offseason but once real games come around, all of that crap is thrown out the window. Izzo might be fading in his career and not doing well but he's not an idiot. If those guys were difference makers they'd be on the floor.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
There's definitely a good reason those two guys aren't playing for Sparty. People get caught up in recruiting rankings all the time, including me. They're incredibly fun during the recruiting cycles + offseason but once real games come around, all of that crap is thrown out the window. Izzo might be fading in his career and not doing well but he's not an idiot. If those guys were difference makers they'd be on the floor.
Strongly disagree and the performance and decisions this year show Izzo is wrong

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Strongly disagree and the performance and decisions this year show Izzo is wrong
Just asking but whose minutes should Fears be taking? Maybe Tre's? Sure isn't going to cut into Hoggard's, Akin's or Walker's..

For Booker, it's just so hard to come in as a freshman big and produce right away. Owen Freeman is because there's no one else in front of him and credit to him for shining as he has. Idk. You certainly know more than I do about Michigan State, but if these guys aren't doing well in practice against the upperclassmen, they're not going to play much in games. There's probably a lot more to the story though that I'm missing.