So how good is the Big 12 in Basketball this year?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Kansas beat UCONN. Just sayin'. Every game counts.
That game was in Phog Allen where Kansas almost never loses and UConn had a three point attempt with 5 seconds left that would have won it. You don’t discredit the win because it happened but the NCAA Tournament isn’t played at home. We fall into the same bucket BUT have played much better than KU away from home.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That game was in Phog Allen where Kansas almost never loses and UConn had a three point attempt with 5 seconds left that would have won it. You don’t discredit the win because it happened but the NCAA Tournament isn’t played at home. We fall into the same bucket BUT have played much better than KU away from home.
Kansas is not better than us. Period. It's annoying they get seeded higher.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm no KU, fan but they won the game. I hope they somehow miss the tournament. ;)
They have a really good non-con resume. People choose to forget that but the bracjketologists haven't. Hopefuylly the committee does.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I'm no KU, fan but they won the game. I hope they somehow miss the tournament. ;)
They have a really good non-con resume. People choose to forget that.
And that’s what I said by saying you can’t discredit it because they won. But UConn destroys them on a neutral court.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
In all reality, the NCAA tourney turns into a "bragging rights" platform rather than a definition of how good of a season a team has had. Placement (seeding) in the tourney is probably a closer indictment of a teams success than it's finish in the the dance. Without any data to back up my thoughts I would guess that years ago the tourney ended up closer to "chalk" than it has recently. When Hampton knocked us out it was more of an anomaly at the time and now we've seen it several times and also a one seed going down. Doesn't mean those teams didn't have a good season. The Big 12 is probably better prepared to go farther than other teams but all it takes is that one off game or hot opponent to mess that up. I suggest that just like a raffle drawing, the more entries you have the greater your chances of winning but the guy who only buys one ticket can win it all. As an opposing coach, I'm sure you have a list of teams you would rather not face in the dance and would venture to say Big 12 teams occupy a good portion of those lists. With a little (or a lot) of luck the Big 12 should fare well and I hope we are one of the more successful ones.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
So our head to head win doesn't matter as much as KU head to head with UCONN.
No disagreement from me but the committee has shown over and over that head to head doesn't matter as much as we'd like to think it does. These aren't basketball people.

All they're going to look at is that Kansas is 12-5 vs Q 1/2 and Iowa State is 10-6 (as of today of course)

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Arguing at this point is fruitless. There's nothing offical out there to argue about. We don't know how much anyhting will be weighted. The "reveal" from a week ago is already dated, obviously.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Arguing at this point is fruitless. There's nothing offical out there to argue about. We don't know how much anyhting will be weighted. The "reveal" from a week ago is already dated, obviously.

It was dated the day it was released because they supposedly put that top 16 together earlier in the week.

• Informative
Reactions: Cydkar

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I've noticed announcers, that don't cover the B12 regularly, mention how "physical" the B12 is and that the B12 is "letting them play".

I worry that the NCAA might tell the refs to "not let the game get out of hand" or "turn into a rock fight" causing a lot of ticky-tacky foul calls early in the game. I don't want the refs to turn into dance judges at an 1800's cotillion.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Just to reference the original question - how good are any other conferences?

The Big East to me looks like a great UConn, a frisky Marquette and Creighton, and then... very very average.
B1G is basically Purdue and a bunch of really meh and really bad teams. And all of them, including Purdue, have big flaws.
SEC looks good on paper, but Bama plays no defense, Tennessee has Rick Barnes, and Auburn is Auburn. I could see their next level down teams surprise though - SC, UK, FL.
Pac12 is Arizona, Wazzu, average Oregon, and then its pretty bad pretty fast.

I think the SEC is the only other conference where half the league isn't hot wet garbage.

It would be a good year to have say six or seven Big12 teams in the S16, but its always so random you can't count on anything.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kansas isn't better than Iowa State but they have a better resume. Two different things and that's why Kansas gets a slight edge in seeding.

Their resume cannot be much better when ISU is above them in vast majority of metrics.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron