So how good is the Big 12 in Basketball this year?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They are also gaming the system by playing teams like Davidson and UAB in their non- conference.....games that Power 6 teams should win a majority of the time but look better than playing a sub-200 team.

Yep, this is why I hate ncsos comparisons.

Teams whose scrubs are in the 150+ range will look a lot better to the computers than teams in the 250+ range, while not being any more competitive against top teams.

Almost every P5 team plays maybe 3-5 real games in the noncon and a bunch of scrubs. And much of that SoS is out of teams control. You can schedule P5 opponents that were good and they end up sucking. You can sign up for a neutral site tournament and end up drawing worse teams if theres an upset or you lose early and get shunted into games against other teams that lost. Or in our case we can have a conference challenge but we get assigned a complete dumpster fire of a team by our conference. We shouldn't be putting so much weight on a part of the season that consists of just a few 'real' games for most schools

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
MWC has possibilities beyond SD State - Utah State and New Mexico, perhaps. I don't really trust most of those teams to go deep, but it'd be the closest to an FAU comparison.

FAU '24 also is sort of like FAU '23. (But higher expectation, so maybe it doesn't count). :D

I feel like most of the mid-major-ish action might come 11/12/13 line with some teams that have dominated their conferences during regular season. Maybe it's only 1st round upset but some I could see going second weekend. More on those at some point later.

I'm a little worried the Big 12 only gets 8 in the Tourney, when they should get 9 or even 10.

Cincinnati looks like they maybe are solidly on the outside of the bubble. KState has upticked a bit. Texas is still there.

I'm assuming BYU and OU will make it. It's hard to make a good impression on the selection committee when our teams are beating up on each other.

A week into conference play we had 8 teams ranked and now we have 4. This happens most years.

If we had big ten level of media slobbering that 8 probably would’ve grown to 9-10. Thankfully computer rankings are more commonly used in basketball. The AP tends to rank our top 3/4 at least as high as computers, but for a decade plus now they have ranked our 5th-8th place teams way lower than computer metrics do.

BYU’s season is a mirror of our season two years ago when we went undefeated non conf and then battled to stay near .500 in conference. They aren’t ranked now, they’d easily be ranked in any other conference and probably be contending for lead.

Reactions: t-noah

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We only got to play 2 Quad 3 games our entire league schedule and they got to play 9 Quad 3&4 games in the ACC.

**** that guy.

Yeah but by complaining about the net and claiming it is flawed, they will use this narrative to act like their quad 3-4 games should be rated higher too.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My stupid prediction. Iowa State and Houston will play each other 4 times this year. Big 12 tournament and again in the final 4. Like I said, my stupid prediction

Long time ago KU and OU met in the Final can't even remember who won but I picked it right on my bracket. I think it was the last time I ever did good at picking the bracket.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's a legitimate possibility, and not just one of those "well, if this, this, this, this, this. this, this, this, and this all happen, then maybe" sorts of possibilities.
I'm trying not to look to far ahead but you are 100% right.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Long time ago KU and OU met in the Final can't even remember who won but I picked it right on my bracket. I think it was the last time I ever did good at picking the bracket.
1988. Big 8 ruled that year. Danny Manning and KU upset top ranked OU and Wayman Tisdale.

1709049907973.png

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Their resume cannot be much better when ISU is above them in vast majority of metrics.
Resume metrics and predictive metrics tell different stories. The Barttorvik team sheets linked below have all of the metrics that the selection committee uses.

Kansas is 7 and 4 on KPI and SOR, the resume metrics, while Iowa State is 15 and 8, respectively. On BPI and Kenpom, the predictive (or "quality") metrics, Iowa State is 8 and 11, while Kansas is 15 on both.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Then again if BYU is shooting great like they did against us
Baylor gets an easier path
And many other things can happen. I agree with your assessment. Just the tourney tends to make us throw out everything we know
I worry about officials who don't usually work Big12 games suddenly are officiating Big 12 teams in the NCAA tournament. How will they call it?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I worry about officials who don't usually work Big12 games suddenly are officiating Big 12 teams in the NCAA tournament. How will they call it?

Well if History is a lesson, we know they won't call it much different than Big 12. Otherwise Baylor would not have won the title, Texas Tech would not have played for the title, and Kansas, Whose defense was not quite as intense that year, would not have won the title.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think last year most had him outside the draft, though the end of the 2nd round is hard to predict. Seems like an overseas guy. But hey, clear some good NIL cash for a couple years and make some cash overseas isn’t a bad living.
I wanted to give this a like, good post. But I couldn't. Too close to the current NIL, which I NO like. Like anyway, check.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron