Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Pork baby backs. They had them for like 7 bucks a rack at HyVee.
For back ribs I use 2-2-1. Dry rub on, meat side up for 2 hours. Pull them off, wrap in foil with some apple juice and butter, put them on meat side down for 2 hours. Pull them off, unwrap, put back on meat side up for 1 hour and hit with sauce in the last 30 minutes. Keep an eye on how much the meat has pulled back/down at the tip, how much bone is exposed, that's usually my go to with doneness, looking for at least 1/2 inch.

I keep my heat between 200-225, for wood I usually use combo of hickory, apple, cherry, whatever I have. I avoid using mesquite, much harsher of a smoke flavor IMO. And I never soak my wood, I use dry chunks. Soaking the wood adds a bit of a musty flavor IMO.

Good luck.

Reactions: dmclone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
@AgronAlum How’d they turn out and what method did you use?

I ended up doing the 3-2-1 but not really on purpose. It just fit with the errands we had to run today. I thought they turned out great and the wife and kids ate more than usual too.

Im gonna run and grab more of the sale racks and will probably switch it up next time to try out different methods.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I ended up doing the 3-2-1 but not really on purpose. It just fit with the errands we had to run today. I thought they turned out great and the wife and kids ate more than usual too.

Im gonna run and grab more of the sale racks and will probably switch it up next time to try out different methods.
Enjoy the exploration of different methods.

That’s the second most fun aspect of grilling/smoking for me. The most fun/satisfying is seeing the family enjoy the fruits of the labor.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

KLP630

Sep 6, 2013
This doesn't fit into this thread, however............
Looking for a propane fish fryer. Any suggestions on brands or ones to avoid. Thanks

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I may try this method for making goulash. Mix the diced onions and diced green/red peppers with ground beef and put above the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, elbow macaroni combo.
Do you have a good goulash recipe you wish to share? I don't and I miss the one my school used to make.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

3-2-1 is frankly the best, base-level method to start out with for planning your cook timeframe. From there (as shown in this thread) everyone can adjust as needed based upon their preference, experience, and setup/cooking style.

I like smoking for 2-3hrs on the first leg because with a pellet smoker, gives me the most chance to get the smoke flavor in. I'll check first leg after 2hrs and possibly move to wrapping, but usually it's 3hrs.

I adjust on the fly for the 2nd leg based upon how much the meat is pulling back from the bone, how flexible they look. I will check them after about 1hr or 90mins here and basically move to step 3 when I think they're almost done. Third leg might only be 30mins, because I want them falling off the bone, but still juicy and melting in my mouth but with a little bark to them.

I've tried a couple times to cook these to temperature, but I think it's a waste of energy. You ultimately cook ribs to your preference level of firmness, and there's so little meat on even super meaty ribs, the temperature can be really deceiving. After about 4-5 hours total (unless they're really small, then less) they'll basically be done and then (last leg) you're just baking to set your final sauce/bark/finish if you so choose.

But sometimes, this total might go a little longer based upon other cooking or meat variables.

Pork ribs are my absolute favorite -- and I've perfected them enough that now I have to cook double what I think I need to cook to make sure I get enough to eat for myself plus a few bones to eat as leftovers, because my family DESTROYS them. (YAY, RIBS!)

Reactions: Gonzo

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
No pictures unfortunately, but we had an open Sunday afternoon at home yesterday and weather was outstanding, so I smoked some boneless pork chops for supper. My locker cut them nice and thick, so they took about 2.5 hours.

This is one of my favorite, and I think most underrated things to smoke. It's super easy, quick, and smoked chops are just delicious.

Rub on both sides, slather a little BBQ sauce on top to set a nice glaze, and smoke at 225 until they hit 145-150 IT. AMAZING

Reactions: exCYtable

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Do you have a good goulash recipe you wish to share? I don't and I miss the one my school used to make.

1lb of ground beef
half a green pepper diced (I vac sealed a bunch of red/green diced peppers this past summer and use that)
15 oz can of diced tomatoes
15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 TBS of Italian Seasoning
1.5 tsp minced garlic
1.5 cups beef broth ( I used beef stock as I had a box on hand)
2 bay leaves
1 cup macaroni
1.5 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBS of olive oil when browning ground beef
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 TBS smoked paprika (added smoked over regular and it gave it some added flavor)
2 TBS sugar

Season with salt and pepper to your liking. I added Red Pepper flakes for an added kick. Next time I will put on the smoker for more added flavor.

Brown ground beef with onion and peppers and then drain off grease. Add all above to mixture (except cheese add that before serving). Mixture will have to 10-20 minutes over medium heat to allow macaroni time to cook throughly.

Last edited:

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
No pictures unfortunately, but we had an open Sunday afternoon at home yesterday and weather was outstanding, so I smoked some boneless pork chops for supper. My locker cut them nice and thick, so they took about 2.5 hours.

This is one of my favorite, and I think most underrated things to smoke. It's super easy, quick, and smoked chops are just delicious.

Rub on both sides, slather a little BBQ sauce on top to set a nice glaze, and smoke at 225 until they hit 145-150 IT. AMAZING
Chops might be my favorite thing to do on my pellet grill. They turn out fantastic every time.

• Love
Reactions: BACyclone

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Chops might be my favorite thing to do on my pellet grill. They turn out fantastic every time.
I get Iowa Chops and stand them up on the bone. I use all kinds of rubs oils and spices what ever I feel like. My favorite is vegetable oil then dust with Tony Chateras cajun spice. Weber charcoal, smoker, weber gas, they always turn our perfect and this doesnt allow for overcooking the tenderloin side of the Iowa chop. My thermometer h this method and our taste likes 150 degrees, boneless pork loin 145 degrees. Standing up changes the temp I am guessing. Fareway has the nice thick Iowa Chops.

Reactions: clone4life82

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't understand how people can temp probe ribs. What I mean is, I don't understand how you can feel confident you're getting an accurate, representative temperature between a couple little bones.

I just use the 'bend test.' Pick the rack by the end, when it 'bends' and starts to tear away the meat, it's done.

I don't don't mess with foil or paper or any of that crap. Same with sauce, basting, mopping, spritzing, etc.

Just cook the damn meat.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't understand how people can temp probe ribs. What I mean is, I don't understand how you can feel confident you're getting an accurate, representative temperature between a couple little bones.

I just use the 'bend test.' Pick the rack by the end, when it 'bends' and starts to tear away the meat, it's done.

I don't don't mess with foil or paper or any of that crap. Same with sauce, basting, mopping, spritzing, etc.

Just cook the damn meat.
I do foil with the 2-2-1 on my pork back ribs and sauce them towards the end of the smoke, but I agree on trying to temp. I've never tried getting a temp on ribs, I just go with how much pull back and bend there is.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Just some comments on pork and beef. I am a long time family beef and pork producer, from pasture to plate. Pork prices are in the tank right now due to China’s economy and demographic changes there so they have cut back on US imports along with over production domestically. That’s why ribs are so cheap now. So if you have freezer space now would be a good time to load up on pork. On the other hand, the national beef cow numbers are the lowest since 1951 so don’t expect any beef bargains. Just a suggestion if you like to grill steaks. Go to Fareway when they have a special on ribeyes or NY strips. Buy a fresh unopened cryovac loin. Do not open it. Put it in the bottom of your refrigerator for 30 days, or from the date on the package. Do not freeze it. After the 30 days, cut it in your desired thickness and wrap in butcher paper, one or two per pkg. The aging is the secret to quality steaks, this is the same process that premium steak companies like Omaha Steaks perform.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just some comments on pork and beef. I am a long time family beef and pork producer, from pasture to plate. Pork prices are in the tank right now due to China’s economy and demographic changes there so they have cut back on US imports along with over production domestically. That’s why ribs are so cheap now. So if you have freezer space now would be a good time to load up on pork. On the other hand, the national beef cow numbers are the lowest since 1951 so don’t expect any beef bargains. Just a suggestion if you like to grill steaks. Go to Fareway when they have a special on ribeyes or NY strips. Buy a fresh unopened cryovac loin. Do not open it. Put it in the bottom of your refrigerator for 30 days, or from the date on the package. Do not freeze it. After the 30 days, cut it in your desired thickness and wrap in butcher paper, one or two per pkg. The aging is the secret to quality steaks, this is the same process that premium steak companies like Omaha Steaks perform.
Beef is pretty insane right now. Went to buy flank steak yesterday and it was $16/lb. Good advice on the pork, thanks.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Just cook the damn meat.

I do foil with the 2-2-1 on my pork back ribs and sauce them towards the end of the smoke, but I agree on trying to temp. I've never tried getting a temp on ribs, I just go with how much pull back and bend there is.
I poke a toothpick into the meat to see if it is tender.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Got some beef back ribs to go on the smoker tomorrow. Thinking about 6-8 hours at around 230 should get them close.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I was always under the impression that most of the boxed beef in the US was wet aged as primal cuts. Would you say that most beef we buy is not wet aged? Just curious because you would obviously know more as a producer

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
1lb of ground beef
half a green pepper diced (I vac sealed a bunch of red/green diced peppers this past summer and use that)
15 oz can of diced tomatoes
15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 TBS of Italian Seasoning
1.5 tsp minced garlic
1.5 cups beef broth ( I used beef stock as I had a box on hand)
2 bay leaves
1 cup macaroni
1.5 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBS of olive oil when browning ground beef
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 TBS smoked paprika (added smoked over regular and it gave it some added flavor)
2 TBS sugar

Season with salt and pepper to your liking. I added Red Pepper flakes for an added kick. Next time I will put on the smoker for more added flavor.

Brown ground beef with onion and peppers and then drain off grease. Add all above to mixture (except cheese add that before serving). Mixture will have to 10-20 minutes over medium heat to allow macaroni time to cook throughly.
Thank you!