Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Meat will keep indefinitely, assuming your freezer works properly, and it was packaged appropriately. I've read articles about scientists eating small bits of Woolly Mammoth they found in a glacier.

All jokes aside, you do lose some quality after a while. I haven't gone back to the Ice Age, but I have cooked meat that has been in the freezer for several years.
My father-in-law was a butcher in a locker, owned a grocery store later and he ran the meat counter and had a very successful restaurant for years. He stated that frozen meat would lose flavor by drying out gradually if not thawing it out and using it after a couple of years.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Meat will keep indefinitely, assuming your freezer works properly, and it was packaged appropriately. I've read articles about scientists eating small bits of Woolly Mammoth they found in a glacier.

All jokes aside, you do lose some quality after a while. I haven't gone back to the Ice Age, but I have cooked meat that has been in the freezer for several years.
I made some 4.5 year old T- bones last summer I found buried in my freezer. Some of the best beef I’ve had. As you said, packaging is key, and also avoiding the constant freeze/ thaw cycles of frost-free storage.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Do you have any opinion on the dry aging bags that are popular now? Like these https://umaidry.com/

YouTubers seem to get pretty good results with them but I don't know if it's all just marketing hype.
I looked at the site you provided. It appears to be somewhat the same process of never freezing the meat and letting it age for a lengthy period in a refrigerator. I doubt that it would be any different but let me provide two personal professional sources that verify what I prescribe of buying it in the cryovac package that comes direct from the Packing Plant. One was a local meat market only in a town of 300 that was 2nd generation. I would order 20 or so ribeyes from him and he would tell me that he would have them ready in a month. They would be a full loin that he would order and come direct in a box. He'd put them in a cooler for a month and then take them out of the vacuum sealed pouch, cut, wrap and call me for pick up. The other reference is a friend who was a career meat manager at a Fareway in a city of 10,000 who did the same thing. They both said age it for a month and never let it be exposed to oxygen. Just a tip, when I order a full loin, I ask them to pick the one that has the most fat laced in the meat. Fat=Flavor. That's why you need to know what you are getting into when considering grass fed. Another tip. If you can source beef that is fed corn and no DDG's or Wet Distillers (ethanol by-products) there is another level of flavor. Nothing wrong with by-products but the straight stuff (corn) is the same as the difference between Uncle Nearest and Old Crow in your Old Fashioned.

Reactions: Gonzo and BACyclone

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Do you have any opinion on the dry aging bags that are popular now? Like these https://umaidry.com/

YouTubers seem to get pretty good results with them but I don't know if it's all just marketing hype.
Umai bags work great for dry aging without a dry age unit. From what I've seen you want to go at least 45 days with the bags. What swiacy is talking about is wet aging. You get the tenderness of dry aging but you don't get the moisture loss/ funk/ beefier flavor of a dry age. Both have their purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Umai bags work great for dry aging without a dry age unit. From what I've seen you want to go at least 45 days with the bags. What swiacy is talking about is wet aging. You get the tenderness of dry aging but you don't get the moisture loss/ funk/ beefier flavor of a dry age. Both have their purpose.
I’ll give the dry age test against the wet age process that’s being discussed a shot. Always interested in the best steak I can throw on the grill. As a cattle feeder, I think it’s great that people have an interest in how their beef gets on their plate. Here’s another tip: Texas has a lot of cattle, the fire is in the panhandle where 85% of the cattle in Texas are located. Cattle are dead, pastures are gone along with fences and hay. Beef is high and it’s not going to get cheaper.

• Sad
Reactions: Acylum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I looked at the site you provided. It appears to be somewhat the same process of never freezing the meat and letting it age for a lengthy period in a refrigerator. I doubt that it would be any different but let me provide two personal professional sources that verify what I prescribe of buying it in the cryovac package that comes direct from the Packing Plant. One was a local meat market only in a town of 300 that was 2nd generation. I would order 20 or so ribeyes from him and he would tell me that he would have them ready in a month. They would be a full loin that he would order and come direct in a box. He'd put them in a cooler for a month and then take them out of the vacuum sealed pouch, cut, wrap and call me for pick up. The other reference is a friend who was a career meat manager at a Fareway in a city of 10,000 who did the same thing. They both said age it for a month and never let it be exposed to oxygen. Just a tip, when I order a full loin, I ask them to pick the one that has the most fat laced in the meat. Fat=Flavor. That's why you need to know what you are getting into when considering grass fed. Another tip. If you can source beef that is fed corn and no DDG's or Wet Distillers (ethanol by-products) there is another level of flavor. Nothing wrong with by-products but the straight stuff (corn) is the same as the difference between Uncle Nearest and Old Crow in your Old Fashioned.
I love that you're posting in this thread. Great info. Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Did some ribs again last weekend and took a pic this time. Everyone in our house is no sauce which sucks because I’m definitely a sauce guy (Kinders BBQ sauce is my go to). I used Meat Church Holy Gospel but they definitely need a little more kick next time. The batch before with some Holy Voodoo mixed in was much better.

IMG_4574.jpeg

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Did some ribs again last weekend and took a pic this time. Everyone in our house is no sauce which sucks because I’m definitely a sauce guy (Kinders BBQ sauce is my go to). I used Meat Church Holy Gospel but they definitely need a little more kick next time. The batch before with some Holy Voodoo mixed in was much better.

View attachment 125229
Those look scrumptious

Reactions: AgronAlum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nice. Hope they turn out. Did mine last week, had great flavor and smoke, but I let them go a little bit long, so they were literally falling off the bone which the fam likes but I prefer when they hold together a little bit and the meat just easily pulls off.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I also have ribs on the smoker. One just salt and pepper, the other is meat church honey hog rub.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Baby Backs 2-2-1. Results had good smoke and the meat was tender and moist. Family loved but I’ll go a little heavier on the dry rub next time for my preferences. Family doesn’t like sauce. 1710090412697.jpeg

Reactions: Gonzo

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Did some pork shoulder shoulder that turned out good. I'm also really liking the Fireboard (made in kc), it does a good job of predicting when your meat will be ready. Unlike other times, I pulled this at 170 and finished it in the oven, worked slick. Pulled it at 203 and let it rest for an hour.

1000000199.jpg 1000000200.png
Also, I normally get bone in but costco had a sale on boneless.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
That looks pretty sweet. I might have to check them out. I love the idea of having an est cook finish time.

I just got a new PK360 grill to play around with this summer at our new house. I still haven't decided which true smoker I want, so this will be fun to use for now.

I have an original Rec Tec at the cabin that I've loved for years, but I've had my eye on a Yoder for years.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

View attachment 125229

Thanks to everyone for the BBQ pics and the rub recommendations!

My go-to rub has a slight kick to it, and it is a real challenge for me to rub stuff up (especially ribs) how I like them without getting the "too spicy" comments at the table. Been thinking about wading into the Meat Church line for a 2nd option, so based on your comment maybe I'll try the Holy Gospel on one of my next racks to see if that will pass the no-spice crowd.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Thanks to everyone for the BBQ pics and the rub recommendations!

My go-to rub has a slight kick to it, and it is a real challenge for me to rub stuff up (especially ribs) how I like them without getting the "too spicy" comments at the table. Been thinking about wading into the Meat Church line for a 2nd option, so based on your comment maybe I'll try the Holy Gospel on one of my next racks to see if that will pass the no-spice crowd.

I primarily only use Meat Church rubs anymore because they have one for everything and they're all good. Another good option for pork is a base of the Honey Hog and then a layer of the Spicy Honey Hog to you're desires spice level. I've used that quite a few times. I use the Deez Nuts pecan rub a lot as well. We don't eat a ton of beef but the Holy Cow is decent too.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: mkadl and BACyclone

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I primarily only use Meat Church rubs anymore because they have one for everything and they're all good. Another good option for pork is a base of the Honey Hog and then a layer of the Spicy Honey Hog to you're desires spice level. I've used that quite a few times. I use the Deez Nuts pecan rub a lot as well. We don't eat a ton of beef but the Holy Cow is decent too.
I've got almost the entire Meat Church lineup, and I've never been disappointed with any of his rubs (his gourmet lineup is outstanding, too; his seasoned salt makes the best carmelized onions and mushrooms for steak or whatever, and his lemon pepper is great for wings). I've also got a ton of Heath Riles' rubs and like them a lot (he's got some fruitier rubs like peach, apple and cherry that are fun to use, especially on pork), and a few Killer Hogs rubs (I've found I prefer his hot BBQ rub and AP seasoning to the MC and HR equivalents, and his steak seasoning is really good).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron