Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Anyone ever do a rack of pork back ribs on the grill fast, over direct heat? I have a leftover rack that I'm going to make but don't have the time to smoke it slow. I'm not sure if I should cut them up first before putting them on, or keep it intact. If anyone has grilled winning back ribs in 60-90 minutes, any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone ever do a rack of pork back ribs on the grill fast, over direct heat? I have a leftover rack that I'm going to make but don't have the time to smoke it slow. I'm not sure if I should cut them up first before putting them on, or keep it intact. If anyone has grilled winning back ribs in 60-90 minutes, any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

I haven't personally tried it but I've seen a bunch of videos on it recently. Everything I saw was cutting into single rib bones and then grilling over indirect heat for 60-90 minutes. Finish over indirect or direct heat to crisp them up, cook down the sauce or get them to your liking, if needed.

Something like this:

Reactions: iahawks and Gonzo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Cut up and deep fry them! Put the rack on the smoker for an hour. Put your rub on and turn up the heat to 350. Cut them up, dredge in flour then egg/milk, then flour again. Fry them. I used a hot honey BBQ drizzled on them. I do this at tailgates. I’ll smoke at home then deep fry at the tailgate.

Reactions: iahawks and Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I haven't personally tried it but I've seen a bunch of videos on it recently. Everything I saw was cutting into single rib bones and then grilling over indirect heat for 60-90 minutes. Finish over indirect or direct heat to crisp them up, cook down the sauce or get them to your liking, if needed.

Something like this:

Super helpful. Interesting he didn't put them over direct heat to get any kind of char, but they looked pretty phenomenal. Thanks.

Reactions: AgronAlum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Cut up and deep fry them! Put the rack on the smoker for an hour. Put your rub on and turn up the heat to 350. Cut them up, dredge in flour then egg/milk, then flour again. Fry them. I used a hot honey BBQ drizzled on them. I do this at tailgates. I’ll smoke at home then deep fry at the tailgate.
I'll probably have to try this another time, just made fish and chips the other day and the wife prefers deep fried dinners only so often. Sounds like a winner though, thanks.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'll probably have to try this another time, just made fish and chips the other day and the wife prefers deep fried dinners only so often. Sounds like a winner though, thanks.
Plus I would never use oil that was used to fry fish on anything else.

People were intrigued by the ribs as they had never had them before. We even deep fried a prime rib at a tailgate.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Thanks to everyone for the BBQ pics and the rub recommendations!

My go-to rub has a slight kick to it, and it is a real challenge for me to rub stuff up (especially ribs) how I like them without getting the "too spicy" comments at the table. Been thinking about wading into the Meat Church line for a 2nd option, so based on your comment maybe I'll try the Holy Gospel on one of my next racks to see if that will pass the no-spice crowd.
The Meat Church rubs are super popular but I've found them to be too sugary for my taste. YMMV.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Meat Church rubs are super popular but I've found them to be too sugary for my taste. YMMV.
Not just taste but burning too. If you smoke wings then want to crank it up and do a quick grill that can be an issue.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Instant pot high pressure for 30 minutes. Broil or grill at the end

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is my go-to rub:

I rein it in a little bit on the salt and pepper, and I add 1 Tbsp of coffee grounds to this recipe.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This is my go-to rub:

I rein it in a little bit on the salt and pepper, and I add 1 Tbsp of coffee grounds to this recipe.
I also add coffee grounds to the rub I make. I used Sucralose this time instead or white sugar. I also dried the brown sugar in the oven so the rub won’t clump up.

The Sh!t Rubs are really good to.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I've done my ribs at 300 on the pellet grill until the desired temp (~201) and texture.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just some comments on pork and beef. I am a long time family beef and pork producer, from pasture to plate. Pork prices are in the tank right now due to China’s economy and demographic changes there so they have cut back on US imports along with over production domestically. That’s why ribs are so cheap now. So if you have freezer space now would be a good time to load up on pork. On the other hand, the national beef cow numbers are the lowest since 1951 so don’t expect any beef bargains. Just a suggestion if you like to grill steaks. Go to Fareway when they have a special on ribeyes or NY strips. Buy a fresh unopened cryovac loin. Do not open it. Put it in the bottom of your refrigerator for 30 days, or from the date on the package. Do not freeze it. After the 30 days, cut it in your desired thickness and wrap in butcher paper, one or two per pkg. The aging is the secret to quality steaks, this is the same process that premium steak companies like Omaha Steaks perform.
You leave @CoachHines3 's mom out of this

• Optimistic
Reactions: BACyclone

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This is my go-to rub:

This has been one of my top 2-3 rubs that I use when I make them myself. Been using this one for probably nearly 10 years.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This is my go-to rub:

Reading this recipe has me wondering, do folks here rub before cooking or the night before? I’ve always put on a mustard binder and rub the night before and put them in the fridge. This recipe says to season before throwing them on the smoker.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Reading this recipe has me wondering, do folks here rub before cooking or the night before? I’ve always put on a mustard binder and rub the night before and put them in the fridge. This recipe says to season before throwing them on the smoker.
When smoking I put the rub on usually 30-45 minutes before they go onto the smoker. No idea if that's the right way, just the way I do it. And I've never used mustard as a binder but I've seen many who do it and keep forgetting to try it.

• Agree
Reactions: Agclone91

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I tried this one time mopping them with a vinegar based mop sauce and wasn't real happy with the results. They were edible but that was about it. Apparently it smelled real good because a couple walking by said they could smell it the next street over and it smelled great. I didn't bother to say it was an experiment gone awry.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I usually use a mustard binder and season about 30 minutes before putting on - Just long enough for the rub to sweat and stick. I have seasoned large cuts and refrigerated them if I'm getting up in the middle of the night to start them but seasoning and re-wrapping to put in the fridge is too much of a hassle to me otherwise.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I tried this one time mopping them with a vinegar based mop sauce and wasn't real happy with the results. They were edible but that was about it. Apparently it smelled real good because a couple walking by said they could smell it the next street over and it smelled great. I didn't bother to say it was an experiment gone awry.
Yeah I made them last night and it was a swing and a miss. Not sure if I used too much rub, they had a pretty extreme bark on them, not sure if I had the grill too hot, ran it around 375-400, or just left them on too long. I followed the same instructions. They had pretty good flavor, some of them were tender once you got past the bark, but overall had too much char and some were pretty dry, and I didn't even put them over direct heat. Ah well, live and learn.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I usually use a mustard binder and season about 30 minutes before putting on - Just long enough for the rub to sweat and stick. I have seasoned large cuts and refrigerated them if I'm getting up in the middle of the night to start them but seasoning and re-wrapping to put in the fridge is too much of a hassle to me otherwise.

If going overnight the only thing I ever use is salt. Putting your rubs on really does nothing flavor wise as spices and such just don't penetrate into the meat. You may add color to it is all.

I will let whatever I plan to smoke, set out long enough to get to room temp. Some situations like last week I found out the brisket flat wasn't going to be enough as friend added six more people after I already had it on the smoker about an hour after I found out about the added people. I had a flat in the freezer, ran in under warm water get it out of the bag, ran water over it so the salt and pepper would stick and threw it on at 150 degrees for an hour. Sure it took longer to finish off as the other flat was done about an hour ealier, but I pulled it of at 195 and let it rest in foil, under a blanket, and in a cooler. Both were awesome from what I was told.

Last edited:
Reactions: BACyclone