Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Reading this recipe has me wondering, do folks here rub before cooking or the night before? I’ve always put on a mustard binder and rub the night before and put them in the fridge. This recipe says to season before throwing them on the smoker.

I typically use a little Worcestershire sauce as an aid for my rub binder, just to make sure I have enough moisture for the rub to stick. It might be unnecessary, but it works.

I usually go start the smoker, then get my meat ready and get the rub on. And I only put the meat on the smoker once I can see the rub getting absorbed by actual juices from the meat. Usually by that time the smoker is stable and ready.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
How long does it take to get your smoker to temp? Just curious from a brand standpoint. GMG DB takes about 10 minutes.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I used a meat church, I think it was Honey Hog or something like that on some spare ribs. I left it in plastic wrap for a couple of hours. It seemed to pull some juices out of the ribs, it was very messy. I dont think it changed the cook but it was concerning the amount of juice that was not retained in the ribs. I am guessing it was a similar reaction to sweating cucumbers? If the juices come out on the smoker thats one thing, but befor the cook is a question for all. I believe next time (I like the Honey Hog) I will put the rub on right before the cook.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I used a meat church, I think it was Honey Hog or something like that on some spare ribs. I left it in plastic wrap for a couple of hours. It seemed to pull some juices out of the ribs, it was very messy. I dont think it changed the cook but it was concerning the amount of juice that was not retained in the ribs. I am guessing it was a similar reaction to sweating cucumbers? If the juices come out on the smoker thats one thing, but befor the cook is a question for all. I believe next time (I like the Honey Hog) I will put the rub on right before the cook.
"Juice coming out of the ribs" should not concern you, this is very normal, by design. The salt in the rub does this.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

"Juice coming out of the ribs" should not concern you, this is very normal, by design. The salt in the rub does this.
Yes, the salt will initially pull moisture out of the meat and will eventually draw it back in.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Well, it's not opening a restaurant/food truck like my friends keep telling me I should do, but I reckon this will be more fun. Just signed up for a rib competition at Meat Fest in Green Bay this May. I've got no real expectations, but I'm curious to get some feedback from judges.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Taking advantage of Picanha on sale at Fareway. $7.99 per lb. Becoming one of my favorite cuts. Idiot proof on a pellet grill. So good and tender.

• Agree
Reactions: Clones1414

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Well, it's not opening a restaurant/food truck like my friends keep telling me I should do, but I reckon this will be more fun. Just signed up for a rib competition at Meat Fest in Green Bay this May. I've got no real expectations, but I'm curious to get some feedback from judges.
That's very often a surefire way to lose the passion and enjoyment you get from smoking/cooking meats.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Had brisket and burnt ends for lunch at both Q39 and Jack Stacks last weekend in KC. Q39 destroyed Jack, I was shocked at how much better Q39 was. Im fairly confident that Jack served me leftovers from the day before.

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Had brisket and burnt ends for lunch at both Q39 and Jack Stacks last weekend in KC. Q39 destroyed Jack, I was shocked at how much better Q39 was. Im fairly confident that Jack served me leftovers from the day before.
I've been to a lot of places in KC for BBQ and have never really been disappointed. Lately, my favorite has been Slaps. Next time, I'd like to try out wolfpack.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I've been to a lot of places in KC for BBQ and have never really been disappointed. Lately, my favorite has been Slaps. Next time, I'd like to try out wolfpack.
Slaps is really solid, love their sides as well. Haven't tried Wolfpack yet. For a few years now I've thought the top 3 in no particular order (depends on the day) are Slaps, Original Joes, and Q39.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
That's very often a surefire way to lose the passion and enjoyment you get from smoking/cooking meats.
That’s exactly what I tell them I’m afraid of. I certainly love cooking for people (mostly because I like to show off), but I’m perfectly happy keeping that with family and friends.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
That’s exactly what I tell them I’m afraid of. I certainly love cooking for people (mostly because I like to show off), but I’m perfectly happy keeping that with family and friends.
The ***** of it is the judges don't value the same things as a group of regular people eating BBQ do. In fact, especially with ribs, it's almost the opposite. Purists will whine and moan and say the masses don't understand the bite and chew factor of a competition rib, but when push comes to shove they don't give a f. They want fall off the bone.

Reactions: BACyclone

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Q39 and Joe's are the supperior of the big 4 by a stretch. LC's is my favorite mom and pop.

Helser 83

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2022
Taking advantage of Picanha on sale at Fareway. $7.99 per lb. Becoming one of my favorite cuts. Idiot proof on a pellet grill. So good and tender.
I've been curious about this as I see it in the Fareway ad quite often. What do you actually do with it on the pellet grill?

• Agree
Reactions: hiltonisheaven

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The ***** of it is the judges don't value the same things as a group of regular people eating BBQ do. In fact, especially with ribs, it's almost the opposite. Purists will whine and moan and say the masses don't understand the bite and chew factor of a competition rib, but when push comes to shove they don't give a f. They want fall off the bone.
In that sense, I’ve got a leg up. I’ll eat fall off the bone, obviously, but I do prefer a rib that holds onto the bone just a little and that’s what I shoot for when I cook. I want something I can slice up without it disintegrating.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
In those BBQ contests they throw so much on the rib because the judge usually takes one bite so they are trying to wow them with one bite.

Reactions: Gonzo

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I've been curious about this as I see it in the Fareway ad quite often. What do you actually do with it on the pellet grill?
This is how I do it just replacing the slow over the grill with the pellet grill before searing it off.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron