Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
For breakfast I like either Mullets or Gilroy's. If you like bar food The High Life Lounge is my favorite especially since Sambetti's closed.

Last edited:

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
For a special occasion, Harbinger is easily a favorite. Small, high-end food, right on Ingersoll. Wait staff is knowledgeable and attentive. Chefs and owners work hard to bring new food ideas from the around the world. I have never regretted eating there.

Reactions: Messi

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
We went to 801 for the first time this year. It was really good, but the most expensive meal I've ever had in my life. And we were just in Vegas in November.

I would go back, but it would have to be for a special occasion.

Smaller than I expected, and packed on a Saturday night. There was a table of loudmouth jackasses about 15 inches away from us. They were Hawkeye fans and the night was much more pleasant once they left.
Don't go to Oak Park unless you plan on paying even more.
How much is a bill at 801 and Oak Park?

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Simons is the best in town. Unique atmosphere. Same staff over the last decade or so, which says a lot. Food is incredibly good and reasonably priced. But it is a bit tough to get in to; line up a half hour before open to ensure seating at 5pm (on a Tuesday in February!).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How much is a bill at 801 and Oak Park?
It all depends on what you order and how much you drink but I'd be surprised to get out of there for less than $200 per couple and more likely around $300 with a couple of drinks. This is just what I've heard from friends and on facebook.

These types of places are lost on me, my favorite places are never that expensive but it sounds like if this is your thing, Oak Park is killer.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It all depends on what you order and how much you drink but I'd be surprised to get out of there for less than $200 per couple and more likely around $300 with a couple of drinks. This is just what I've heard from friends and on facebook.

These types of places are lost on me, my favorite places are never that expensive but it sounds like if this is your thing, Oak Park is killer.

Yeah, my palette isn't near sophisticated enough to justify spending $150+ on a meal (not counting drinks) for 2. Not only that, but that kind of atmosphere makes me more uncomfortable than not. Places like Flemings or Johnny's are more than fancy enough for our super special occasions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We went to 801 for the first time this year. It was really good, but the most expensive meal I've ever had in my life. And we were just in Vegas in November.

I would go back, but it would have to be for a special occasion.

Smaller than I expected, and packed on a Saturday night. There was a table of loudmouth jackasses about 15 inches away from us. They were Hawkeye fans and the night was much more pleasant once they left.
15 inches? I wouldn’t even be able to sit in my chair at that distance.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Simons is the best in town. Unique atmosphere. Same staff over the last decade or so, which says a lot. Food is incredibly good and reasonably priced. But it is a bit tough to get in to; line up a half hour before open to ensure seating at 5pm (on a Tuesday in February!).
I'm always shocked by the prices, I don't think there's a better value in DSM. The place is an absolute gem.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Either/Or is a great addition for a place that has good food but isn't overly fancy.

ShortE's BBQ has really good food. Not fancy in any way whatsoever.

Reactions: MJ29

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The best way to go to Simon's is with a group. They take reservations for groups of 6 and up.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Looking for a recommendation for sunday afternoon. #1 son & wife are now expecting! So dinnering with them and my folks - who don't know yet!

If it was up to my folks, they'd just go to the Hitching Post in Bevington. I'd like to aim just a little higher! Where's a good, nice, place for not-adventurous basic-Iowa 70yo parents, but also decent for younger folks? SW side would be preferred, as they live off 92 south of the metro. TIA!

Reactions: MJ29

Help Support Us

Become a patron