Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I'm looking to take a lady to a nice restaurant in Des Moines. Anyone have any suggestions. Price isn't an issue and maybe more of a steak house type place. I don't really know the area that well (I'm an out of state student) and some people with knowledge of the area would be appreciated.

TIA

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
If you're looking for a true steakhouse you can't go wrong with Rubes in Waukee. It's a grill your own steak place though so I dont know how well that will go over for V-Day. Kinda pricey too depending on what cut you get. For your meal and a couple beers your probably looking at about $35-$40 per person.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I've heard of someplace called Out Back? Or maybe it was Outback... I can't remember. Heard good things

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Price is no object? Baru 66...very cutting edge and fantastic!

801 has a boring menu. Great steaks, but very staid.

Latin King is a great Italian steakhouse...slightly less expensive & a wonderful menu. Great supper-club atmosphere, and hard to get a seat on the weekends. If you have a special occasion, I would call and talk to the owner (he is ALWAYS there)...he will accommodate. Have the amaretto-spiked coffee and tiramisu for dessert!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Christopher's in Beaverdale. Can't go wrong with their prime rib. There are more upscale spots like the aforementioned 801 chophouse and Fleming's over by Jordan Creek, but Christopher's is very good for the price. Bistro Montage on Ingersoll is a good but expensive option.

Reactions: algonacy

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Take her to the 801 Chop House for the old-time 1920's atmosphere, retro booths, linen tablecloths. Very classy.

Do NOT, whatever you do, go to Splash (if it's still open). It's like Long John Silver's on LSD with snotty wait staff and dead fish in their aquariums.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: DrClone and StClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've heard great things about The Radish in Grimes but I have not been there yet. Trostel' s Dish in West Des Moines is kind of a cool alternative to a steakhouse. They do small plates and have a killer wine selection.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'm looking to take a lady to a nice restaurant in Des Moines. Anyone have any suggestions. Price isn't an issue and maybe more of a steak house type place. I don't really know the area that well (I'm an out of state student) and some people with knowledge of the area would be appreciated.

TIA
I'm glad you started this thread because I'm looking for a place to take my GF for Valentines Day dinner in DSM as well. Right now I am leaning towards Christopher's.

Is there anything I should know about Christopher's (good or bad)? I just want to take my GF to a restaurant that has nice ambiance but it by no means doesn't need to be extremely fancy but has delicious food.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm glad you started this thread because I'm looking for a place to take my GF for Valentines Day dinner in DSM as well. Right now I am leaning towards Christopher's.

Is there anything I should know about Christopher's (good or bad)? I just want to take my GF to a restaurant that has nice ambiance but it by no means doesn't need to be extremely fancy but has delicious food.

Christopher's is a nice spot. Very friendly staff, casual atmosphere, reasonably priced menu. The decor is a bit dated but it's clean and well kept. My favorite menu item is the prime rib but the pan fried walleye is also very good. The menu includes pasta, steak, fish, burgers and pizza.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Good standards mentioned already: Speakeasy, Christopher's, etc, so I'll go with desert.
Stop by Creme cupcakes off of Ingersoll when you are done eating and pick two up to go.
Then go to the Continental in East Village for awesome cocktails and maybe even some live music (Sat night).

Then bring her to your place for desert and the cupcakes, heyooo!

Barney-Stinson-barney-stinson-31316015-1920-2560.jpg

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good standards mentioned already: Speakeasy, Christopher's, etc, so I'll go with desert.
Stop by Creme cupcakes off of Ingersoll when you are done eating and pick two up to go.
Then go to the Continental in East Village for awesome cocktails and maybe even some live music (Sat night).

Then bring her to your place for desert and the cupcakes, heyooo!

View attachment 24772

The great thing about the Continental is that if the date isn't going well you can call her a cab and go next door to the Locust Tap to get sloppy at arguably the dirtiest bar downtown.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The great thing about the Continental is that if the date isn't going well you can call her a cab and go next door to the Locust Tap to get sloppy at arguably the dirtiest bar downtown.

For sure! One of these days that floor is going to cave in and I'll be there trying to get myself out of that mess.