Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

Apr 19, 2006
Price is no object? Baru 66...very cutting edge and fantastic!

801 has a boring menu. Great steaks, but very staid.

Latin King is a great Italian steakhouse...slightly less expensive & a wonderful menu. Great supper-club atmosphere, and hard to get a seat on the weekends. If you have a special occasion, I would call and talk to the owner (he is ALWAYS there)...he will accommodate. Have the amaretto-spiked coffee and tiramisu for dessert!

I'd have to agree with Latin King. Great menu selection and I've never had a bad meal there.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I can't believe no one has mentioned Django. It is my wife and I's favorite "nice" place.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Latin King is great. One of my favorites, all around. Food, people, atmosphere, etc. The place is top notch.

Something not mentioned to think about...Skip's (4000 Fleur Drive). Good stuff right there.

Reactions: Bluffers

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
There are several Scottish fare restaurants....very good. I think they serve Irish food too. "Donald and sons" or something like that.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Centro - downtown is outstanding - best wine list in town I think
Latin King always works as well
Splash still has some of the best seafood of anywhere I have traveled, go figure -DSM for seafood

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Sam and Gables. Steak Deburgo melts in your mouth and the pasta is great.

Exactly correct. Sam & Gabes is one of the absolute best restaurants and dining experiences in the metro.

I've heard great things about The Radish in Grimes but I have not been there yet.

Another fantastic spot - they have one of the best prime ribs in the metro.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Not sure why Flemings gets some credit. Went there twice. Wasn't bad - but that price compared to quality didn't match Sam & Gabes, Radish and a number of other metro locations IMO.

Rubes in Waukee also very good. As is Chicago Speakeasy.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
If you want a great steakhouse, 801 is the place!!! Everything else is either a distant 2nd or an Italian/American restaurant that also has a steak or two. In that category we like Christopher's, Latin King, but you may see your grandparents there:)

For something a little more cutting edge, Alba in the East Village could be worth a look.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If you want a great steakhouse, 801 is the place!!! Everything else is either a distant 2nd or an Italian/American restaurant that also has a steak or two. In that category we like Christopher's, Latin King, but you may see your grandparents there:)

For something a little more cutting edge, Alba in the East Village could be worth a look.
I already checked 801 but I think they are full for valentines day. Is there another restaurant you'd recommend that has good food and good atmosphere for a young couple in Des Moines?

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
Valentine's is one of the worst days to go to a "nice" restaurant. Places overbook, kitchens get overworked, staff gets stressed, food come out bad, everything is rushed. Hit the Mexican dive on Valentine's, then go to the "nice" place some other time.