Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I really like the Urban Grill on 86th St. Excellent food and a good atmosphere. Nick's is also a good choice.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
On the upper scale:
-801, Flemings (nothing says over the top like lobster in taters or mac and cheeses,or try the seafood tower for $100 Alex), Trostels, Djangos, Centro (ok but not impressed), Radish (cannot beat it!), Sam and Gabes (but personally feel it is even more over priced than Flemings).
Just my personal opinions.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Ended up getting a resevation at centro. It's relatively cheap and she told me she wanted Italian.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
What does everyone think of Granite City in Clive? I'm aware this probably doesn't exactly fall into the "nice restaurant" category but some friends invited me to go with them this weekend and I have never been.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What does everyone think of Granite City in Clive? I'm aware this probably doesn't exactly fall into the "nice restaurant" category but some friends invited me to go with them this weekend and I have never been.

It's not bad. It's better than an Applebee's, isn't going to compare with a lot of local stuff. I'd guess you'd be able to find something on their menu. IMO, sort of like going to Outback - you're probably not going to move it to your #1 spot or be floored, but it's safe.

Am I the only one who just isn't wowed by Centro? I'm not saying OP made a bad choice by any means, as most people love it - I just haven't found anything there that wowed me, and their menu is a little too mismatched for my tastes.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
That's about what I figured. Reasonable prices at least?

I used to go to Centro a lot for lunch when I worked at Nationwide on Locust. I've always enjoyed it and they seemed to be a place that's easy to get in and out of quickly. That being said, it would not be my first choice if price wasn't an issue like OP stated.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's about what I figured. Reasonable prices at least?

I used to go to Centro a lot for lunch when I worked at Nationwide on Locust. I've always enjoyed it and they seemed to be a place that's easy to get in and out of quickly. That being said, it would not be my first choice if price wasn't an issue like OP stated.

I'd say also prices similar to Outback? It's been a couple of years since I've been, so definitely keep that in mind.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Cosi Cucina announced that Saturday will be their last day of business. :sad:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Agreed, not what most would consider a "nice restaurant" and yes it is a chain, but I've always been satisfied with meals there.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Cosi Cucina announced that Saturday will be their last day of business. :sad:

Yeah...too bad. Hate to see a local place go under.

Boy...what a difference a decade makes. 86Th St in Clive and 8th St in W DSM used to be the hottest places for restaurants (and some bars too) now they turn over or close in those areas on a regular basis. Both areas hurt by downtown finding it legs and also further west (Jordan Creek/West Glen) becoming the suburban go to area.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

I like it. Mug Club member, so I've been there more than once.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Latin King is your classic Italian American restaurant. Highly recommend NY Strip, Chicken Spiedini, and pasta options.

Chicago Speakeasy has great prime rib or ribeye. Salad bar is top notch.